Smart Motorways

Hello, This is one stupid idea and putting it mildly , already people have died, there is a TV programme on this tonight, is there a map of UK showing all the roads with these Smart motor way sections, not that i drive much these days

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

They are a complete mess, the constantly changing speeds on some is a nightmare,  people can say what they like but everyone in three or four lanes all doing 50/60/70 mph is just not right or safe.

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The ONLY way Smart Motorways are safe is when they are EMPTY.

Bloody awful idea from the start.

Agree. 
I have a major aversion to using what is meant to be the hard shoulder. 

About 5 years ago a major accident occurred only a few vehicles in front of me when travelling on the "Smart" section of the M5 in Worcestershire.  We all came to a rapid halt and it was clear that one vehicle (a small hatchback) was very badly damaged.  Because the whole motorway in that direction had stopped the emergency services were unable to get through for quite some time and had to come down the (closed) carriageway against the normal direction of traffic as the whole 'behind' the accident was solid with no hard shoulder and no way for fire engines to get through.  Sadly there was a fatality.  Whether the emergency services getting there sooner would have helped I don't know, but it can't have helped that assistance took quite a while to get there.  I can't really say how long as I was (perhaps fortunately) just screened from sight by other vehicles in front of me.  I was sat in the car stationary for several hours whilst the 'investigation team' did their stuff.

Not a nice day - and it highlighted to me how when there is an accident, emergency services can't get proper access if all lanes are blocked.

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The ONLY way Smart Motorways are safe is when they are EMPTY.

Bloody awful idea from the start.

The only way ANY motorway is safe is when it is empty. Or any other road for that matter. I read this week that road workers are being attacked by irate idiot drivers who dislike having their journey disrupted. While these clowns are driving on our roads, no road is safe.

13 hours ago, Westley said:

The only way ANY motorway is safe is when it is empty. Or any other road for that matter. I read this week that road workers are being attacked by irate idiot drivers who dislike having their journey disrupted. While these clowns are driving on our roads, no road is safe.

If the REFUGE that is the HARD SHOULDER is taken away and used as a LIVE LANE there is NO REFUGE.   :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If the REFUGE that is the HARD SHOULDER is taken away and used as a LIVE LANE there is NO REFUGE.   

So it's a bit like a breakdown in lane 3 then  ? Pushing your car across 2 live lanes is not really an option  ?

1 hour ago, Westley said:

So it's a bit like a breakdown in lane 3 then  ? Pushing your car across 2 live lanes is not really an option  ?

Usually you would use your momentum to get across to the hard shoulder on the left.

Just reading about this elsewhere and something I hadn't considered,  pulling back out from the stupid little lay buys from a standing start into traffic going 50-60-70mph yeah that's going to be fun 😳😳

Worst idea ever on the Motorway. 

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

As we're informed that these roads and the associated technology are perfectly safe ,I'm sure any minor glitches will be resolved and travel on them even safer when vehicles have no need for a driver. 

Can’t wait! 
And when that time comes, I’m going nowhere!