Speed limiters

Speed limit ers fitted to all new cars from July 2024.                            Shot down buy some on here for saying, why should you have a smart meter, my point been with your phone your card ( ie they don't want us to us cash) it won't be long before we all have tags fitted to our leg. Or is this for the best?                    

51 minutes ago, Nublue 22 said:

Speed limit ers fitted to all new cars from July 2024.                            Shot down buy some on here for saying, why should you have a smart meter, my point been with your phone your card ( ie they don't want us to us cash) it won't be long before we all have tags fitted to our leg. Or is this for the best?                    

Were you planning on buying a new car after July ?

34 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

what's meant by "speed limiters"  ?

do they stop you doing more than 70 OR are they linked to GPS that stops you exceeding EVERY speed limit and there by saving your driving licence and your bank balance?

The ones I'm familiar with use a dual camera mounted at the top of the windscreen (also used for lane assist/lane departure and autonomous braking functions), this "reads" speed limit signs and currently displays a warning on the dash, after July it will have to actively restrict your speed.

Pros...you can concentrate on driving without worrying about missing a speed limit sign

Cons...It can't always read the signs, so you still have to be aware of the limits and, like sat nav, it's a "driver aid" and it's still your responsibility to ensure you're within the law.

30 minutes ago, Red696 said:

They wont be an issue…. The local 13 year old ‘puma trackie’ will have that hacked in 30 seconds whilst he is at it with the keyless entry drive off.

You can turn it off yourself, it will just automatically default to being on each time the car is started.

Can't see what the problem is, surely the good honest Shotgun/FAC holding members of pigeonwatch aren't suggesting that breaking the law by speeding is ok are they?

24 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

this "reads" speed limit signs and currently displays a warning on the dash, after July it will have to actively restrict your speed.

Cons...It can't always read the signs,

It won't read many signs round here; they are overgrown by hedges, covered in algae growth, faded, covered in dirt/mud, or missing/knocked over.  The orads are in an appalling state with broken surfaces, verges unmaintained, signs bent, faded and missing letters.

2 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

I can just see it your car slow down because of traffic ,lane restrictions whatever and some youngster in a old banger will be into your rear great idea 

Not having driven one, I don't know for certain, but I assume that if you enter a lower limit area, the speed will be reduced gradually.  If you want to 'exceed' the limit deliberately (such as seeing a car approaching rapidly behind in the mirror) - I imagine you can accelerate accordingly - though it may need a harder press on the accelerator.

I had a car with a manual speed limiter (a Mercedes I think, and simply an alternative option selectable through the cruise control system) and if you set it to (say) 40 mph, and wanted to overtake - involving a temporary increase in speed above 40 mph, you just had to press the accelerator more deliberately.  I think it also beeped at you to warn you you were exceeding your set limit.

Close but not quite... No need to panic. 

New cars will be fitted with a function that alters active cruise control (only when in use) to match the speed limits as you enter them and this cannot be switched off by the user if you wish to use the active cruise control functions. 

Some cars already have this (one of mine does) and it's a nightmare. The car uses a combination of in car cameras and GPS location and mapped speed limits to tell what the speed limit is at any given time. As such it's severely limited by the data contained within the map being updated as/when the speed limits change (this function cannot work with temporary limits) and the road signs being of a consistent makeup that the onboard camera and computer can recognise it as a valid speed limit sign. Also that the sign is placed in the correct position, at the correct angle and that no other speed limit signs are placed in the field of vision of camera (roads running parallel etc). This falls down with signs in various states of condition, material and of course, electronic overhead signage which it sometimes fails to read. 

As a technology, it is nowhere near being workable as an overall speed limiter and it's unlikely that it will be for years to come. 

In my car I experience issues with this tech daily from the car reading a 20 limit on a bridge that crosses a motorway with the car rapidly (but gradually) slowing from 70mph to 20mph. I have also have issues on an A road I use regularly where the car picks up a 40 limit on a road running parallel to the A road and slowing the car from 70mph to 40mph. This can be overridden by using the speed altering function on the steering wheel controls or by pressing the accelerator and resetting the cruise control. Annoying but the usefulness of this tech on variable speed limit roads like the M4 past Reading, M25 etc far outweighs these inconveniences. You can always switch the active component of the cruise control off in the menu and use the dumb cruise/ speed limiting controls as you would have done in any car from 2000 onwards. 

For those with the tinfoil hats on. A lot of premium model cars from about 2015 onwards (BMW, Mercedes, Range Rover etc) came with a factory built tracking option which relied on a subscription from the user to activate which can allow the manufacturer to track, unlock, shutdown etc cars remotely. This tech is installed at the factory regardless if the user ops to subscribe so it's not entirely impossible (in the same way that a euromillions win is extremely unlikely but not impossible) that a malicious government couldn't take over this function and use it to limit the use of these vehicles for whatever reason. 

Both of my current cars have app connectivity to remotely control HVAC, door unlocking, pre warming etc. That ship has already sailed and did so years ago. 

19 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

Close but not quite... No need to panic. 

New cars will be fitted with a function that alters active cruise control (only when in use) to match the speed limits as you enter them and this cannot be switched off by the user if you wish to use the active cruise control functions. 

Some cars already have this (one of mine does) and it's a nightmare. The car uses a combination of in car cameras and GPS location and mapped speed limits to tell what the speed limit is at any given time. As such it's severely limited by the data contained within the map being updated as/when the speed limits change (this function cannot work with temporary limits) and the road signs being of a consistent makeup that the onboard camera and computer can recognise it as a valid speed limit sign. Also that the sign is placed in the correct position, at the correct angle and that no other speed limit signs are placed in the field of vision of camera (roads running parallel etc). This falls down with signs in various states of condition, material and of course, electronic overhead signage which it sometimes fails to read. 

As a technology, it is nowhere near being workable as an overall speed limiter and it's unlikely that it will be for years to come. 

In my car I experience issues with this tech daily from the car reading a 20 limit on a bridge that crosses a motorway with the car rapidly (but gradually) slowing from 70mph to 20mph. I have also have issues on an A road I use regularly where the car picks up a 40 limit on a road running parallel to the A road and slowing the car from 70mph to 40mph. This can be overridden by using the speed altering function on the steering wheel controls or by pressing the accelerator and resetting the cruise control. Annoying but the usefulness of this tech on variable speed limit roads like the M4 past Reading, M25 etc far outweighs these inconveniences. You can always switch the active component of the cruise control off in the menu and use the dumb cruise/ speed limiting controls as you would have done in any car from 2000 onwards. 

For those with the tinfoil hats on. A lot of premium model cars from about 2015 onwards (BMW, Mercedes, Range Rover etc) came with a factory built tracking option which relied on a subscription from the user to activate which can allow the manufacturer to track, unlock, shutdown etc cars remotely. This tech is installed at the factory regardless if the user ops to subscribe so it's not entirely impossible (in the same way that a euromillions win is extremely unlikely but not impossible) that a malicious government couldn't take over this function and use it to limit the use of these vehicles for whatever reason. 

Both of my current cars have app connectivity to remotely control HVAC, door unlocking, pre warming etc. That ship has already sailed and did so years ago. 

Interesting. 

My car has a 'current speed limit' repeater in the drivers central (i.e. between speedo and rev counter) display - repeated on the sat nav display (central console).  The drivers one definitely does pick up (at least some) temporary road works speed limits.  The car info says it uses the camera by the internal mirror (but I guess also uses the mapping).  The sat nav one (may) not use the same source as it doesn't always agree.  I have not studied this discrepancy enough to come to any conclusion on this.

Both 'go red' when you exceed the speed limits.  The repeater in the speedo display seems to use the speedo value - and as this reads around 3 mph faster than 'real speed'. goes red before the sat nav one (that I assume uses a speed derived from the sat nav positions?).

My car certainly has tracking and it is possible to log in (to the manufacturer's website) and see where the car has been.  Not sure what other information it carries, but certainly service history is there.  I suspect it can be turned off - though quite what is 'turned off' I'm not sure - it is very probably only the ability to access the data, not thye collection of the data by the manufacturer.

All so very unnecessary! 

edit: not like the days of the old Series One, when if you were going on a long run, say to India perhaps, you would dip the oil and check the water level in the radiator.

Edited by London Best

2 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

This tech is installed at the factory regardless if the user ops to subscribe so it's not entirely impossible (in the same way that a euromillions win is extremely unlikely but not impossible) that a malicious government couldn't take over this function and use it to limit the use of these vehicles for whatever reason. 

..... and malicious control might not involve our own government  -  perhaps more likely to emanate from the place where the vehicles (or their electronic components) were made.

21 hours ago, London Best said:

All so very unnecessary! 

edit: not like the days of the old Series One, when if you were going on a long run, say to India perhaps, you would dip the oil and check the water level in the radiator.

You missed out the word HOURLY  !

Every LR I have owned came with automatic 'oil change'  !   😆

Just now, Westley said:

You missed out the word HOURLY  !

Every LR I have owned came with automatic 'oil change'  !   😆

They do vary.  My present (owned 28 years now) 200 tdi has never needed oil or water to be topped up - despite being checked regularly.

My series 1 (2 litre petrol) did use a little oil, mostly running down the valve guides with the characteristic blue smoke after a hot start.