BASC Fighting Fund helps member win appeal against Kent Police

A BASC member has won an appeal against the revocation of his firearm and shotgun certificates by Kent Police thanks to support from BASC’s Fighting Fund.

The judgment marks a further success for BASC's Fighting Fund, which in March 2024 helped a BASC member win an appeal against the revocation of his certificate by Cheshire Constabulary.

Click the link below for more information on the Kent case

https://basc.org.uk/basc-fighting-fund-helps-member-win-costs-against-kent-police/

Great result. I hope it can be followed up with an award for compensation. If BASC could cover his legal costs (offset by the award payment in some way) that would be a further deterrent for this heavy handed and unlawful approach being adopted by Tim Smith. 

Excellent work by all concerned. 
Kent Constabulary is clearly abusing its position by using any flimsy pretext to ban firearms. Perhaps all the various shooting organisations should combine resources to challenge Kent’s predetermined decision to ban shooting. 

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes, well done BASC, I've read the article and would be interested to know how much was spent and how much in costs was paid by Kent Police?

Thanks, I only know the details as have been published. If more details are published I will share them. What strikes me personally is the quote from the BASC member:

"After being made to feel like a criminal and with many false accusations made against my character, it was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders that the police, the firearms officers, and then ultimately the court, all agreed unanimously that my version of events was the truth.

“The police admitted as much in court which begs the question as to why it took 16 months and a court hearing to settle it.

“BASC was brilliant. I’m so grateful for its financial support, but more importantly the support it gave me beyond that was invaluable. Just the reassurance that I was in the right gave me the strength to continue to fight this injustice.

“I’m also grateful to all my friends and character references who supported me. Shooting is my passion, and it feels good to be totally vindicated and be able to continue to enjoy it with my friends and hold my head up high again.”

15 hours ago, oowee said:

Great result. I hope it can be followed up with an award for compensation. If BASC could cover his legal costs (offset by the award payment in some way) that would be a further deterrent for this heavy handed and unlawful approach being adopted by Tim Smith. 

Thanks, the member's legal costs were covered from time of BASC approval by the Fighting Fund. As regards deterrent, this win (and the win in Cheshire) will not go unnoticed across the police forces and strengthens BASC's position as an organisation that will seek justice and has the resolve and financial resource to follow through on that.

As I have already said, it is an excellent result. TIGHTCHOKE has raised an interesting point.

If someone went to court privately and their costs were £10k  and they lost, they might well incur the Police costs - say another £10k. If the cost was £25k, plus potentially another £25k for Police costs, many might take up another hobby. 

Availability of figures would inform shooters of the cost of fighting the withdrawal of an SGC or FAC, which could in turn show the merit in joining BASC, for what would be a modest sum.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

As I have already said, it is an excellent result. TIGHTCHOKE has raised an interesting point.

If someone went to court privately and their costs were £10k  and they lost, they might well incur the Police costs - say another £10k. If the cost was £25k, plus potentially another £25k for Police costs, many might take up another hobby. 

Availability of figures would inform shooters of the cost of fighting the withdrawal of an SGC or FAC, which could in turn show the merit in joining BASC, for what would be a modest sum.

Good thinking Tightchoke and Gordon R   👍 👍

2 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I dont believe the awarding of "costs" actually results in the full amount being recovered - from experience its perhaps 50/60 percent

This means that "us" the tax payer pick up the bill ultimately if the police lose 

5 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Thanks. It's a good suggestion on publishing info on costs involved in fighting these two cases in a follow-up article and BASC will likely do that, and I will share that on here when published. As regards the successful appeal outlined in the OP, Kent Police currently has more revocations than all the other forces in the South East combined. Further appeals are scheduled, and BASC will continue to fight vigorously in its members’ interest where it considers there has been an injustice.

16 hours ago, Konor said:

Well done ,it’s good to be praising BASC for a change instead of finding fault. 👍

:good:BASC have always helped me, either with advice or intervening with 'ridiculous' conditions that the police wanted to add to my FAC.

Well done but i must ask how many others have got in touch with BASC  for having their guns taken away also how come this member got BASC to fight his course 

i am asking because i know a few members who have asked for help and nothing like this has come there way  here in Gwent the gun shops and FAD are stacked to the roof with SG and FA where they have had them taken off them 

Edited by Rim Fire

It would be nice to know how many PW members are in a shooting org. There are some in my area that do not belong to any org. but go shooting and moan when things get serious This is why some sghooting syndicates and clubs include BASC or others in membership fees to ensure everyone has representation when needed plus the other benifits 

4 hours ago, armsid said:

It would be nice to know how many PW members are in a shooting org. There are some in my area that do not belong to any org. but go shooting and moan when things get serious This is why some shooting syndicates and clubs include BASC or others in membership fees to ensure everyone has representation when needed plus the other benefits 

Can't understand anyone daft enough to go shooting without shooting insurance........but there are some daft ******* out there.