Unexpected Result

Since my last decent bag I posted on here the pigeons seem to have disappeared in any numbers, where they have gone is beyond me. I’ve drove hundreds of miles looking after work and seen very little. I’ve still been going out and having bags of 30’s-70’s but nothing major. On Thursday I checked a few farms and found 2 fields of peas that would give me some shooting. Friday I got set up on one of the fields and had a steady afternoon finishing with 61 pigeon.

Today i shot the other field of peas, this had about 80 birds down feeding when I watched it. When I arrived the wind was the complete wrong way for where the birds wanted to be so I had to shoot the field from the opposite side. I got set up and the birds started coming straight away. Two lines developed and I had good shooting for most of the afternoon and the wind kept them moving. I was expecting to shoot 40-50 pigeon but at the end of the day I picked 154

76F10EB3-38CC-4D75-BD96-BDFAADEAF063.jpeg

To get that sort of shooting don't come without a massive of amount of homework put in , no doubt Ben get the same sort of household and family commitments the same as everyone else but if you want something bad enough then you can normally find a way around these sort of things .

Well done BB and like P C said this allow us arm chair Pigeon shooters to see that these opportunities are out there , the hard bit is finding them , timing and knowing how to get the most out of it when the day arrive when you are going to shoot the field , certainly a class act :good:   MM

Peas, what are those? Not seen any peas sown around here for years (you lucky boy) at the minute I am like a lot of others...a armchair pigeon shooter, well done on putting the effort in and your reward for such. :good:

Forgot what a pile of pigeons looks like. :)

28 minutes ago, old'un said:

Peas, what are those? Not seen any peas sown around here for years (you lucky boy) at the minute I am like a lot of others...a armchair pigeon shooter, well done on putting the effort in and your reward for such. :good:

Forgot what a pile of pigeons looks like.

If you were local I could easily give you some Pea fields to go on ,but if there is nothing on them you would be wasting your time , apart from getting some fresh air in the countryside.

We are now in June ( although you wouldn't think so for how cold it have been ) and driving around the Winter barley fields are looking good and getting near to full height with the ears beginning to go Brown  , looking in my diary I once shot a good bag on laid barley on the 23rd of June so if you haven't got any Peas then the Winter grain crops might be the next thing worth keeping an eye on .     MM

11 minutes ago, marsh man said:

If you were local I could easily give you some Pea fields to go on ,but if there is nothing on them you would be wasting your time , apart from getting some fresh air in the countryside.

We are now in June ( although you wouldn't think so for how cold it have been ) and driving around the Winter barley fields are looking good and getting near to full height with the ears beginning to go Brown  , looking in my diary I once shot a good bag on laid barley on the 23rd of June so if you haven't got any Peas then the Winter grain crops might be the next thing worth keeping an eye on .     MM

I have got my gear in the car…..see you in a bit. :)

Yep, that's what I will be looking for in a few weeks, got plenty to go at, just got to wait. :good:

Nice one Ben, glad to see you’re finding them! Takes some doing at time but those days where you really have to work to find them are some of the best 👍🏼 
I managed to find some myself, will put a report up later. 

15 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

What do you do with them?

I shoot them with steel and they all go to the falconry lads

4 hours ago, old'un said:

Forgot what a pile of pigeons looks like.

I have 2 farmers that grow peas every year without fail luckily which always gives me some shooting 

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

I’ve got plenty of Barley to go at this year and I’ve already spotted some fields that have gone down in places. Laid barley is my favourite crop to shoot pigeons over

50 minutes ago, bunny_blaster said:

I shoot them with steel and they all go to the falconry lads

I have 2 farmers that grow peas every year without fail luckily which always gives me some shooting 

I’ve got plenty of Barley to go at this year and I’ve already spotted some fields that have gone down in places. Laid barley is my favourite crop to shoot pigeons over

👍

Good stuff, i've kinda given up shooting in place of fishing I have been out looking but finding nothing apart from a small day of 34 few weeks ago on clover best bag this year, then 20 blacks in the farmyard near a silage clamp a week later 

1 hour ago, yickdaz said:

Good stuff, i've kinda given up shooting in place of fishing I have been out looking but finding nothing apart from a small day of 34 few weeks ago on clover best bag this year, then 20 blacks in the farmyard near a silage clamp a week later 

I wondered where you had got to.

Hello, Wish we still had some Pea Fields in the Vale, i use to shoot on a farm that grew peas for a local canning factory, My next hope is on laid barley but a few weeks yet 🙄 , must be getting on for well over a year since i got the decoys out in the field despite not getting many,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I like the bit where B-B said in his report “ having bags of 30-70s, but nothing major”.

30-70 would be a major day for me, but I just don’t have the total dedication that B-B clearly has, or indeed the peas grown in my area.

Good bag, good report, so many thanks for posting.

OB