Surrey Police incident with cow?

old man

59 minutes ago, amateur said:

This happened in suburban Staines, didn’t it?

Why would any local copper have any knowledge of dealing with cattle? Different, perhaps, in a farming area.

He used the tool he had available and neutralised the perceived threat without apparently seriously damaging the animal.

Job well done, in my eyes.

How did he neutralised the threat  it got back up and to be honest what threat i get that reaction from young cattle all the time when in and around the yard or field 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, old man said:

Really? If you had taken the other same decision, a world of pain would be on your doorstep?

Without doubt, but I'm not a warranted officer, having to make a split-second decision, based upon incomplete knowledge, but with the public's safety in mind.

Just now, Rim Fire said:

How did he neutralised the threat  it got back up and to be honest what threat i get that reaction from young cattle all the time when in and around the yard or field 

The last pictures that I saw, it was pinned under the car.

None of us were there.

Of course you fellas with large animal handling experience would have done it differently, but, given what the pc was faced with, I don't think that he took a wrong decision.

2 minutes ago, amateur said:

Without doubt, but I'm not a warranted officer, having to make a split-second decision, based upon incomplete knowledge, but with the public's safety in mind.

None of us were there.

Of course you fellas with large animal handling experience would have done it differently, but, given what the pc was faced with, I don't think that he took a wrong decision.

“split-second decision”….. this had been going on for well over two hours.

"The last pictures that I saw, it was pinned under the car"?...watch the video..https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2024/06/16/8976172943291597287/1024x576_MP4_8976172943291597287.mp4

9 minutes ago, amateur said:

None of us were there.

click on the link page 1 and see the full incident it got up and run around as i said all he did was stress the animal out 

11 minutes ago, amateur said:

You obviously dont shoot on many farms anyone who dose will tell you this behaviour is quite normal 

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

I'd have asked for some steaks 👍

I asked for nothing. 
The animal was stressed to hell and pumped full of adrenaline. The meat from him would not have been good. He went to the knackers.

To be fair to my new farmer friend he rocked up on my doorstep two weeks later with some meat from a beast he already had at the butchers. 
Just to make you sick there were T bone, sirloin, rump, fillet and rib eye steaks, two packs of burgers and two packs of mince.

1 minute ago, London Best said:

To be fair to my new farmer friend he rocked up on my doorstep two weeks later with some meat from a beast he already had at the butchers. 
Just to make you sick there were T bone, sirloin, rump, fillet and rib eye steaks, two packs of burgers and two packs of mince.

Why did he do that ? 🤷‍♂️🤭😆

I felt sorry for the cow. None of this was the cow's fault, but it took a couple of big hits.

The video looks bad and maybe the Police driver could have come up with a better idea, given time and advice from a committee. However he / she was there and made a decision which he / she will have to live with. Cut the driver some slack and await the result of the inevitable investigation, where others will decide whether it was right or wrong - but with a whole lot more time to come to that conclusion.

22 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I work with an old school ex copper, he hates what has happened to the Police since that load of tosh came in.   :w00t:

People in charge who have no experience and lots of coppers with nowt between their ears but they do have a degree.................:rolleyes:

Even the currently working Bobbies hate what the Police forces have become. With over 50,000 of them injured from assaults on duty last year, more are leaving the job, than joining. They must feel totally dejected, getting grief from BOTH inside and outside the job.

Edited by Westley

32 minutes ago, Westley said:

Even the currently working Bobbies hate what the Police forces have become. With over 50,000 of them injured from assaults on duty last year, more are leaving the job, than joining. They must feel totally dejected, getting grief from BOTH inside and outside the job.

I used to drink with a few, all left the force due to various reasons but all were fed up to the back teeth of doing all the ground work only for the CPS to give the criminals a slapped wrist and a wave goodbye. Too many of those caught were repeat offenders. Policing now is nothing like it used to be, far too much of "cant do this and cant do that"

3 hours ago, London Best said:

I asked for nothing. 
The animal was stressed to hell and pumped full of adrenaline. The meat from him would not have been good. He went to the knackers.

I've read about stressed meat not tasting nice before,  but ate rabbit that had been bolted 🤷‍♂️ guessing something so much bigger is different. 

Nice of the farmer to do that 👍 

3 hours ago, JKD said:

Why did he do that ? 🤷‍♂️🤭😆

😅😅🤣

3 hours ago, London Best said:

Edit: sorry, I forgot to mention the 3kg boned/rolled sirloin joint as well!

16 minutes ago, London Best said:

Edit: sorry, I forgot to mention the 3kg boned/rolled sirloin joint as well!

So are you going to tell us why the farmer was so generous ? 🤷‍♂️🤠

1 minute ago, JKD said:

So are you going to tell us why the farmer was so generous ? 🤷‍♂️🤠

Did you not read the thread?
He was grateful that a semi stranger had responded immediately to a phone call and helped him out of a potentially dangerous situation that was really worrying him.

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

He was grateful that a semi stranger had responded immediately to a phone call and helped him out of a potentially dangerous situation that was really worrying him.

8 hours ago, London Best said:

Earlier this year I received a call from a farmer I hardly knew. 
“Farmer A here. I’ve got a bull running amok. He’s always been crazy, but he’s just gone through a post and four rails fence like it wasn’t there. I can’t get within 100 yds of him. If he goes through another fence like that he’s on a main road. I called farmer B because he’s got a gun and he says you may be better able to help.” 
Me, “where is it?” 
Farmer A, “on the bank below the cross roads.” 
Me, “perfect, I’ll be with you in 15 minutes”. 
Farmer A, “should I call the police?” 
Me, “NO! Call the knacker man.” 
I went to the gate at the bottom of the bank and the animal came halfway down to me and stood snorting and blowing. A .308 in the neck dropped it like a sack of spuds. Job done, no drama necessary. 
Farmer A, “how much do I owe you?” 
Me, “what for? I was never here.

🤷‍♂️🙄🤣

2 hours ago, London Best said:

But he was never there 😉

:shaun:

6 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

But he was never there 😉

:shaun:

That's what I've been alluding to 🙄🤣

8 hours ago, London Best said:

@JKD you have PM

Hi LB, I understood why you "weren't there", but thanks for clarifying further 👍 mum's the word 🤫😉

On 16/06/2024 at 17:05, old'un said:

Jesus...it was a young calf, pity there was no one who spends time around farms and live stock, it would have followed someone with a feed bag, in fact it tried to follow the guy in shorts, it wasn't trying to kill him.

The police should have contingency plans to deal with such incidents, specially those near rural areas.

:good:

Best is, the farm was only a mile away.

Exactly this. The Cow was not out hunting people was it?, it was scared and totally bewildered - there was absolutely no need to ram the creature. Total over reaction by some gung- ho copper.

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Exactly this. The Cow was not out hunting people was it?, it was scared and totally bewildered - there was absolutely no need to ram the creature. Total over reaction by some gung- ho copper.

Probably been watching too many American cop shows on TV.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Probably been watching too many American cop shows on TV.

It make you wonder how many police cars they get through by ramming , only last night they showed you a police car ramming a car that a 17 year old nicked and was driving through a local village , this might have been justified to stop the lad before he seriously hurt , or even killed someone , mind you the police driver got slightly hurt .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

It make you wonder how many police cars they get through by ramming , only last night they showed you a police car ramming a car that a 17 year old nicked and was driving through a local village , this might have been justified to stop the lad before he seriously hurt , or even killed someone , mind you the police driver got slightly hurt .

Back in the 1970’s, after he retired from the police, my father was in charge of the police garage/workshops. They had a fleet of 90 assorted vehicles. On average one every week was smashed up, but mostly through accidents in those days rather than deliberate ramming.