Advice on a suitable backstop for a garden range for my .177

Dickymint23

I would like to set up a range in my back garden and would welcome advice on a suitable backstop to safely prevent any pellets leaving the boundaries of my property.  The back garden backs onto fields with a wooden fence and hawthorn hedge.  Unfortunately there is a footpath occasionally used that runs behind the hedge so it's imperative I have a safe means of backstopping the pellets.  I have 3 panels of 3/4 inch marine ply hinged together in a c shape to mount the target on.

All advice would be gratefully accepted.

A couple of samples/ pieces of carpet in front of the marine ply hung, not necessarily touching helps a lot with sound reduction and  prevents ricochets. Moved a bit occasionally as holes appear. 

Edited by Good shot?

8 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

A couple of samples/ pieces of carpet in front of the marine ply hung, not necessarily touching helps a lot with sound reduction and  prevents ricochets. Moved a bit occasionally as holes appear. 

Many thanks

11 minutes ago, London Best said:

A pile of sand works very well. 
Or a paving slab stood up with the top edge angled forward to deflect pellets downwards. 
Pellets are likely to bounce back from hard ply.

Many thanks

12 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Cheap and easy would be to make up some sand bags then when there finished you can put sand on garden, You could put the Panels behind the sand bags as an extra safety, How long is your garden ??

10 metres

You need something other than wood as pellets can bounce back. Sand is good but unsightly. If the force of the pellet is such that it will shatter on impact then a sheet of metal is as good as anything. But if the pellets won't shatter it isn't. You could try cheap 3' x 3' or 4' x 4' gym mat floor panels as the pellets will shoot through. However after while you'll have to replace them. So maybe the cheapest alternative is in fact a steel target holder WITH ALWAYS A PAPER TARGET PUT INTO IT. I have found that the paper is enough to keep back and backsplash. You just have to be accurate enough to keep the shots within the 8" x 8" outline of the steel target holder. Jack Pyke, Drapers of Nottingham, Etc. should have such.

Edited by enfieldspares

I used solid council paving slabs about 3`x3` two for the sides, one for the back & then a roof glued together with some ct1 along edges. I then used office carpet floor tiles all of wich are usually free on local fb sites & help deaden the sound + easily replaceable

All the above advise is excellent .

I would also add .that if you can put your hands on some old sheet lead (off a roof perhaps) then it makes an excellent  backstop inside your box. And doesn't need replacing as your adding lead to it. 3 layers should be enough, its pretty quiet too .

Hang your paper targets infront of it .so a small roof to your box is useful  for hanging the targets or a shelf below  for cans etc .

5 hours ago, Good shot? said:

Readily available, no cost, efficient, ricochet prevention, sound reducing (neighbour friendly) and simple. So, where the devil were you 70 years ago when I needed you? :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Readily available, no cost, efficient, ricochet prevention, sound reducing (neighbour friendly) and simple. So, where the devil were you 70 years ago when I needed you? 

I was not quite into airguns, unless playing cowboys and indians count.😉

Edited by Good shot?