Great Day Yesterday at Pigeons

Hewey

Hi Guy's,

Just thought I'd share with you a great day I had yesterday on spring rape field near home.

Took the old man with me, he suffers badly with his hips these days (too stuborn to get them fixed) which meant I had a hard day running around picking them up. He shot my Teckny's Auto whilst I used my newish (only shot 50 shells until Saturday) Browning 525.

Had been watching the field for a week or so, someone had been there on Tuesday and Thursday shooting about 40 in total.

Anyway got set-up on Saturday morning and started shooting at about 06:30, they just kept coming in one after the other until about 14:00 when it started to slow down, packed up at 17:00 when we ran out of shells. Could have gone and got more but by that time the pigeons were very few and far between. Anyway 500 shells later we picked a total of 307, not the greatest of shooting but not that bad considering we had the sun in our eyes early on which didn't help.

Thankfully for me a mate brought his Spaniel down to help pick up as we were shooting on the edge of a thick wood and had some high Game cover nearby which a lot had dropped into, I'm sure we'd never have made the 300 mark without him. Although when taking the photo for us he did cut out the first 2 or 3 rows of birds. :good:

post-8658-1213569428.jpg

Edited by Hewey

Cheers Guy's,

Yep he was fairly chuffed, don't think he minded the fact that I didn't get time to get him a Father's day present for today.!! :P

He can't go by himself these days due to his hips, and I don't get as much time as I used to, think he likes to just sit in the hide and watch me run all over the place picking up. :good:

Must admit I feel absolutely Kna****** today. :yes:

Edited by Hewey

Thanks for All your Comments Guy's.

Considering we were both in the same hide taking turn's on shooting it was a very good day. If we could have split up on the field (not an option with Father's Hip's) then I'm sure we'd have had a lot more.

Had a quick look at the field on Sunday and again today and they are back on it, so you never know may get to have another go this weekend. Although I doubt very much it will be anything like last Sat. :lol:

It's very strange around here at present got about 250 acres of peas I can shoot on but there's hardly been a pigeon near them. :lol: