Calling police to let them know you are shooting

Andra

Things can soon switch from "courtesy" to compulsory = police demands for massive fees increases to cover the extra work, manning the switchboard 24/7, etc.

NEVER called them....never had them out checking

We jump through enough hoops for the sport without adding to the time/monetary costs for something which has NO legal requirement

Covered that very nicely Saddler, in short order too. Well Done.

Rod for your own back comes to mind, on this Subject..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't understand why some members on her think that calling the Police is the sensible thing to do and that it saves the Police the time and bother of responding. As far as I am concern this calling in and then off is the thin end of the - if it becomes common place then it follows on that it will become mandatory.

You are undertaking a perfectly legal activity - as long as you have permission of course. Do you phone in when driving your car or dog walking.

On the other hand if your land owner insists then best to call in and keep your perm.

If a member of the public phones in and reports armed men in a field the Police will almost certainly attend anyway.

spot on,

back a couple of weeks ago two men (father and son) came walking into a field where I was decoying complaining about the noise scaring they dog??? want dog not a dog in sight the son said (had to be around 40) the dogs in the house WHAT house I replied his house had to be 400 plus metres away and behind a small wood lol, the son stormed off shouting I`m getting the police I said so be it and both left and around a hour later the police arrived, we had a quick talk and the police phoned the farmer and all ok, the one officer said maybe you could give them a ring next time to save this happening again I replied no why should I plus I`m not even sure where I`m going to shoot till I find the birds, after all sorted I said to the officers maybe you should check on the father, son thinking it`s ok to walk on to private land shouting and screaming at me the officer didn`t want to know GREAT.

Edited by cooooper1

thing is with this one if you phone in to say your shooting on a field and you decide to pack up after an hour because,its not a productive session then you drive to another farm and set up again on what looks like a promising situation you have to do it all again it is a bit of a faff if your pushed for time

but I think its not a bad idea to call in if your going to shoot on a field you feel theres a good chance you will get a complaint

Edited by yickdaz

That was the whole point that I was making, IF you think there may be a problem, make the call. If you believe that there will be no problem, then do not bother. One post has already stated it took an hour to sort things out when the Police did attend, what a waste of an hour, that was avoidable. Trust me if you have made that phone call and someone then does make a complaint, rest assured that the armed respnse will NOT be descending upon you. You probably will get a call on your mobile, just to clarify things, but that will be the end of the matter. Each to their own Guys, but I know what I will continue to do.

Edited by Westley

My favourite comment on here is 'making a rod for your own back' if you ring the police every time. One or maybe two minutes to ring them and saves armed response coming out to you. Shows the shooting community are having better dialogue with police and can save time and money on one hand by not having armed response and the local helicopter out. Or on the other hand the 'it's not law so I'm not doing it brigade' aren't helping anybody in the grand scheme of things.

My personal opinion is that if the police are trusting me with firearms and allowing me to participate in a sport that I love it's a very small sacrifice that I think is worth doing for the benefit of shooters and police. Although I see my guns and licence as a privilege rather than some who see it as their 'right'. Each to there own but clear dialogue with the police can only be beneficial to the shooting community.

ATB 425

My favourite comment on here is 'making a rod for your own back' if you ring the police every time. One or maybe two minutes to ring them and saves armed response coming out to you. Shows the shooting community are having better dialogue with police and can save time and money on one hand by not having armed response and the local helicopter out. Or on the other hand the 'it's not law so I'm not doing it brigade' aren't helping anybody in the grand scheme of things.

My personal opinion is that if the police are trusting me with firearms and allowing me to participate in a sport that I love it's a very small sacrifice that I think is worth doing for the benefit of shooters and police. Although I see my guns and licence as a privilege rather than some who see it as their 'right'. Each to there own but clear dialogue with the police can only be beneficial to the shooting community.

ATB 425

if you feel the need to phone the police that`s up to you but I never have or never intent to till it`s forced on me by law plus 9/10 times I`m not even sure where I`m going to shoot on the day till I find the birds or a flightline even when I do set up I can`t say that`s where I may end up at the end of a day.

maybe your wording doesn`t help calling anyone that feels they don't want to or the need to phone the police as a BRIGADE and want grand scheme of things? it`s not law

I'm well aware it's not law as stated in my post. My gripe is some shooters talk like they have a God given right to have a gun and act like they will do what they want till they are forced by law to do otherwise. My point was quite simple and to me seems common sense. Ring the police out of courtesy, Surely better dialogue between shooters and the police can only strengthen the relationship between us all and help our sport. Maybe I was brought up with a bit more respect and courtesy than some !

I'm sure there are a lot of shooters who don't need to ring the police because their land doesn't have any houses, paths or interfering people ringing the police for no reason so this doesn't really apply to them. Also I did say just my opinion. Not fact.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and to make their own decisions on this issue.

I use to let the local copper know when I was out shooting at night (shows how long ago that was).

Now I no longer shoot at night and when daytime shooting I am never sure where I am going to be shooting.

As I may have to move around, I could be ringing the Police every hour or so and thats not going to happen.

In the 50 odd years I have been shooting, I have never been approached by the police when out in the field.

Amazed by some of the replies here.

We don't live in a built up area though.

In forty plus years i've never been interrupted by a policeman.

It might happen one day and if it did i'd happily trot off for a doughnut, game of darts and a caution!

Ring in and tell the police i'm out shooting NEVER NEVER EVER!

i only ever if shooting where it is almost defiently going to have some old tree hugger or a townie call in and then plod comes out and ruins my flight but there is only one piece i do because there are always complaints.

What sort of grievance might the old tree hugger or townie have?

What happens after the police have been? Do they visit the complainants and tell them you comply with the law?

You may well do zilch and that is your problem.

To be fair I have never phoned the Police regarding my shooting activity. I don't intend to repeat my reasons - they have been well discussed already on this thread.

I do appreciate that others for various reason do report their activity and I for one am happy with that situation.

Indeed I do have to report to the Military Police but only when lamping on some fields that are under the runway approach to a major RAF base. This is a requirement of the land owner. He does not want a repeat of the situation where that end of the village was shut down while special forces searched the fields looking for the source of powerful lights and rifle shots. Apparently there was some kind of NATO exercise and they were being particularly vigilant/sensitive. Good job nothing untoward was going on as the shooter had been back home for 2 hours before the search party turned up.

Thanks to all for the feedback I have pretty much now made up my mind how I will approach going forward.

I will not be calling every time I go out shooting as the are too many variables and as some have mentioned I can move around from farm to farm sometimes ending up in the hide with no mobile signal etc.

What sort of grievance might the old tree hugger or townie have?

What happens after the police have been? Do they visit the complainants and tell them you comply with the law?

You may well do zilch and that is your problem.

Phone up and say that there is someone shooting where they are not supposed to be and if ive already spoken to the if the police have a issue they can phone me and check that it is me out shooting.

I will not be calling every time I go out shooting as the are too many variables and as some have mentioned I can move around from farm to farm sometimes ending up in the hide with no mobile signal etc.

Makes sense to me.

I once called in (having never bothered before) as my FEO whom I have a lot of respect for, asked me if I would mind, just to see how it went.

It was obvious the person (civilian?) on the other end of the phone didn't really understand how shooting worked.

She gave me a reference number and then asked for my ticket numbers, the type and calibre of firearm I'd be using, where I would be using it/them, what time I intended to start and finish, and who I would be with if not alone.

The call didn't go as either of us expected, especially when I informed her I didn't know my mates ticket numbers, to which she recommend he then call in also, and despite her persistence it soon became apparent it wasn't going to work and I politely told her so. That was a few years ago now and I haven't done it again.

However, I always call the landowner and let them know. No one else needs to know.

I'm well aware it's not law as stated in my post. My gripe is some shooters talk like they have a God given right to have a gun and act like they will do what they want till they are forced by law to do otherwise. My point was quite simple and to me seems common sense. Ring the police out of courtesy, Surely better dialogue between shooters and the police can only strengthen the relationship between us all and help our sport. Maybe I was brought up with a bit more respect and courtesy than some !

I'm sure there are a lot of shooters who don't need to ring the police because their land doesn't have any houses, paths or interfering people ringing the police for no reason so this doesn't really apply to them. Also I did say just my opinion. Not fact.

true it`s not our god given right but the reason me and all the good folk on here got shotgun/firearms licenses are simple we abide by the law so phone or don`t phone it`s up to the shooter. common sense doesn`t come into it and whoopy you`ve been brought up better than some. odd thing to say.

There is one major problem with ringing the police to inform them of the fact that you are going out shooting and that is one of trying to even get through to report a real crime. recently myself and another person tried to report an incident and both of us were put in a queue to get through to the control room. The other person gave up after 20 minutes. Kent police firearms department do not take incoming calls at all and you have to contact your feo but the switchboard dont even know who the feo is for your area. My ticket has been in and overdue for three months now and I havent been contacted or anything. I know of a club whose club certificate has been in for over six months and when recently contacted the feo said that the club didnt have to have a cert to operate. When the club official told the feo that the club couldnt buy ammo for the members the feo replied that the members would have to get their own ammo. Thats real good service for the increased fees. As for them coming out it is highly unlikely as there are very little staff available and they have no local knowledge at all. And there are more cuts to come.

Edited by fortune

There is one major problem with ringing the police to inform them of the fact that you are going out shooting and that is one of trying to even get through to report a real crime. recently myself and another person tried to report an incident and both of us were put in a queue to get through to the control room. The other person gave up after 20 minutes. Kent police firearms department do not take incoming calls at all and you have to contact your feo but the switchboard dont even know who the feo is for your area. My ticket has been in and overdue for three months now and I havent been contacted or anything. I know of a club whose club certificate has been in for over six months and when recently contacted the feo said that the club didnt have to have a cert to operate. When the club official told the feo that the club couldnt buy ammo for the members the feo replied that the members would have to get their own ammo. Thats real good service for the increased fees. As for them coming out it is highly unlikely as there are very little staff available and they have no local knowledge at all. And there are more cuts to come.

So no problem then ?

So no problem then ?

Nope, I got enough lead in stock to keep me going for some time and I've people that will supply me with whatever I have the need for. Then I've got reloding eqpt and stock of powders shot wads and tips for the shotguns and the rifles, so the guy can take his time and come when he pleases. I have and never will contact about when I am out on patrol and recent contact with the kent police hq leads me to know that they wouln't have a clue about what I was trying to achieve by notifying them so that they didn't get phased by someone calling them. All it would do is to get in a knot. They dont have the ability to attend or adress real crime let alone this. I wonder if I might get my certificates before Christmas?