Old English club

dob

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FFDEBE44-99DE-4756-9C2F-C79FE4EA16EC_zps

My faveroute gun it's damascus under the bluing I'll get the barrels refinished soon. Just baught some vintage reloading tools to reload with too. Having a lot of smokey fun with this gun at the moment! It's an old Birmingham built Davis late 1800s I think.

Edited by archiebald

If any of you can make it to the Vintage Gun day & Perrins owners club meet on June 11th at South Worcester you will; be most welcome to bring your wonderful old guns to show them off. Let me know if you are coming so I can give you a few details - see the post covering the day.

If anyone wants to set up a web site dedicated to any specific maker or type of gun and I can be of help then get in touch - there is a link on http://info71508.wix.com/perrinsgunmaker which will also give you an idea of what a complete technology numpty can achieve - with a bit of help - bearing in mind this one was born before they had even invented the pocket calculator and remembers TV's in black and white and only one channel.

I see a couple of you have had difficulty loading photos of your guns, which is a great shame.

The way I do it is to use 'photobucket'

Open an account and upload the photos - it's free.

next to the photo will appear a menu - either click or hover over the bottom option and it should turn yellow and say 'copied'

All you then have to do is paste this link on the page you are writing on the forum.

By magic the photo will appear.

John

I don't now much about old guns but that seems to be great value for money. The fact that it is by H&H , gun looks to be in good condition and with a leather case! When is the next auction ?

Hi Geo

I think Bonhams & Gavin Gardiner are not until December though Holts is June 30. I saw a sleeved Bland go for £50 with case! You have to check the measurements out -you get a sheet with bores and wall thicknesses on

Kevin

FFDEBE44-99DE-4756-9C2F-C79FE4EA16EC_zps

My faveroute gun it's damascus under the bluing I'll get the barrels refinished soon. Just baught some vintage reloading tools to reload with too. Having a lot of smokey fun with this gun at the moment! It's an old Birmingham built Davis late 1800s I think.

Great picture, thanks for sharing..

I currently have a 1878 Woodward `The Automatic` which unfortunately has sleeved barrels (steel on

Damascus) but having been beautifully reblacked by Dan Bromley (Barrelblacker) and had the action

tightened is now ready for another 100 or so years in the field. Hopefully I will see a few of these

years of use.

Would dearly like to post pictures, but cannot seem to`paste` when using photobucket despite Fenboy`s

easy to use instructions on here. Being a complete technophobe, maybe one of the grandchildren may

educate me !

Also have a 16 bore C.Hellis NE dated 1930 which is currently my favourite to take out.

Previously owned a cased 1904 Pape 16 bore BLE (still got photos) and also a cased 1921 Pape BLE as wellas a 1905 W.R.Leeson (Ashford) 16 bore SLE. Regretted selling them all !!

Really good to see some great old English guns still owned and still being used.

OB

• 1 month later...

Not so sure that the gun was actually made by Leech & Son - the vast majority of guns of this era were made in Birmingham then simply stamped with the sellers name - makers such as BSA and Wibbly & Snot made thousands of guns that ended up with names of thousands of different retailers stamped on the rib.