SGC - who can you get to sign?

Richie10

Its supposed to be someone of good character/standing but the examples list MP's so the standard is pretty low :good:???

Joking aside, anyone who has known you for more than 2 years and has any modicum of responsibility and a clean slate should be able to sign it, your boss at work, a friend who manages their own business, etc etc

Mark

its not as bad as it seems.. just an upstanding member of the community thats known u 2yr or more ... for example my fac was signed by a swimming instructor lol amazed me but he is classed as a teacher ..if you do that church thing then thats another candidate, the boring 1 at the front! just not family/ur gp/serving police

Hi,

Who is allowed to countersign for you? I did have an ex civil servant doing it for me, but he has changed his mind.

Who else?

Thanks

Rich

Flippen 'ek, what did he find out about you.......... :good:???

It says who you can use on the application..but I have always thought you cannot do better than ANY, FAC or SGC holder. Think about it, they have been through this whole process, supplied referees, been criminally and medically checked and personally vetted via a visit.

They are deemed reasonable, sensible, upstanding individuals, or they would NOT have a Certificate, and they have a lot to loose if they give dodgy references!!!!

You can now have anyone sign your SGC, it is the same rules as the FAC from now on.

I quote from the letter received with my renewal.

"For your information, in respect of shot gun renewals Essex Police have agreed that the counter signatory can be ANY person who has known you personally for 2 years, providing they are not serving police officers, members of your family or police support staff. Thbis is contrary to the information contained in the application form"

Good old Northumbria police sent me a letter saying my referee (my old boss) was not suitable for my SGC renewal. Even though he was one of my referees on my FAC. It was because he wrote that his occupation is a shoot manager and a business owner. Funnily they decided to accept him as a referee when i said he used to be a teacher. Apparently if you run a commercial shoot and a business making shooting equipment then your not good enough. But if you used to teach 15 year olds how to read books then you are....

I think thay's more to do with bias, rfd's and gun smiths aren't allowed to countersign either.

RUM OLD LOT i say! :good:

Different police forces seem to apply different criteria. Others seem to be inconsistant. There is a bit which says a referee must know you personally. I have heard of referees being phoned and asked questions like Have you ever been to his house? Have you met his wife? to try and establish how personally they really do know you.

At one time it was strictly Doctor, lawyer, magistrate Vicar etc but thats living in cloud cuckoo land. Your doctor probably won't sign it, magistrates have been told not to, and I don't go to church.

Thanks all.

The guy that was going to sign it is in 2 minds as he doesn't know if he agrees with it, he's not a veggie either!

I will get a guy in work to sign, he is a VP, I have worked with him for a while but I wouldn't say he knew me that personally.

Would that be OK?

Thanks

Rich