Shots fired in Cumbria?

RC45

Guest rimotu66

Been out shooting all day so am just catching up on this horrible news. My thoughts obviously go to the friends and familys of those involved.

Terrible news, but please think about what you are typing before you put it on the WORLD wide web.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the news channels ( especially Sky ) are piling on the adverbs whilst filming from beneath a car to show a shrouded body. "nobody knew he posessed guns until it was too late" being one of the most stupid comments so far.

ITV are making out as if guns are living entities. Sincere condolencies to the families of those involved, including his children and grand child

like dunbliane and hungerford this is a TERRIBLE thing to have happened and my deepest sympathies go out to all involved..............

but in my honest opinion all that the authoreties will do is persicute the rest of the gun owning population .

since they supposedly "tightened up the gun laws" all that happened was people with legitimate reasons to own weapons found it harder to get the licence to do so and the prices of unlicensed weapons grew making the criminals who sell them richer .

i apologise if my opinion offends anyone

I think it's fair to assume he has a licience,otherwise an illigal gun would be a pistol not a rifle with scopes and by the discription orf the lenght may be mopderated too.I don't think they will ban shotties or rifles,but looking at the amount of people that look like they have an arsnal of guns,like me,with 3 shotties and there are some with loads of guns you may see the goverment limit the amount of guns and types held,they have to be seen to do something

Its not a good day up here for the people of whitehaven or us who have sgc/fac i bet the laws on firearms ownership are to get tough.I cant belive that someone can just flip an kill so many people. :angry:

sorry to hear about the incident and innocent lives lost in your location caused by that evil ******* its happened before.as we all know just keeps fanning the flames for the antis and as i have said it will have an effect with all of us who own guns .

What a tragedy - for all those involved. Methinks people should resist speculating about what did or did not happen and also if the guy was or was not a SGC holder. Until we get the facts we are all p******* in the wind. One thing is for sure, the press will all make hay whilst they can and try to sell more copies than their rivals - so look out for some spectacular reporting details. I would imagine it will be about 3 to 4 days before we begin to get the fuller facts about what happened.

For those of you who are wondering, mental instability can happen almost immediately - if the right factors come together. How many of us can honestly say we have not "blown up" at a turn of events or gotten into a fight at a pub or disco? That is usually when we have lost our normal ability to think soundly and logically - and using DRINK as the excuse doesn't work - but these are small examples of "Losing your head" God knows what happened with this person.

Have a thought for all those involved - not only the persons dead and injured already - but their family and friends as well - even those related to the person who committed this crime against others.

I don't really think now is the time for us to be so insular and selfish that all we can think of is what happens now to our SGC's - remember the points - think soundly and logically. Any threat to our sport will come in time - we can then discuss how best to pepare for it - but not now.

Pushkin.

Well said Pastiebap - death is tragic, always and today very much so, but we should not become clouded that today involved guns and that guns alone are the cause and effect. This human/person/evil entity, whatever you wish to call him, could have done as much damage with knives, a bomb or even a vehicle. Drive down your average pedestrain section of high street with shoppers, at speed on a busy day and I would suspect you could cause as much loss of life.

Some reflective prospective is required - only a week or so ago, a car collided with a bus killing the driver and two children on the bus in Cumbria, 35 other children and the driver were injured and will never forget their school friends who died, many more will suffer the effects. Do we worry about cars being banned or ban car drivers, an accident maybe, suicide....possibly, any different or less tragic than today....

These life events are unexplained, tragic of course, but fate, call it what you wish and it will happen again and we (us/the country) will not prevent it.

I think it's fair to assume he has a licience,otherwise an illigal gun would be a pistol not a rifle with scopes and by the discription orf the lenght may be mopderated too.I don't think they will ban shotties or rifles,but looking at the amount of people that look like they have an arsnal of guns,like me,with 3 shotties and there are some with loads of guns you may see the goverment limit the amount of guns and types held,they have to be seen to do something

The chief constable wouldnt say on the news if it was legitamatly held or not guess its to early for them to say.

On the news they showed the weapon being taken away in a bag the size of a 25kg feed bag so i cant see it would be a conventional shotty.According to eye witnesses it had a scope but it was a shotgun.Only thing i can think of was a short barrel FAC type thing for slugs or similar.An eye witness said single barrel but that doesnt mean its not a semi or pump action .

only takes one gun to go on a shooting spree be it a shotgun or pistol or rifle and they found a shotgun at the scene .

I don't really think now is the time for us to be so insular and selfish that all we can think of is what happens now to our SGC's - remember the points - think soundly and logically. Any threat to our sport will come in time - we can then discuss how best to pepare for it - but not now.

Pushkin.

I've always said that if giving up my guns would stop this sort of thing I'd happily give them up today. We all know deep down it wont.

It's a really sad day for a lot of people. I'm so glad that all I've got to think about is what this could do to my hobby because for a lot of people todays thoughts are going to be so much worse. :angry:

According to The Telegraph the guns were inherited from his father. His mother was dying in hospital and he and his twin were arguing over the will. He got into an argument with his buddies at the taxi rank the day before and was already indicating dire behaviour.

A friend disarmed him that night. (! why didn't he phone the police?). He went to the hospital to report his deteriorating mental state. They turned him away.

Next day he shot his twin brother and the solicitor, then went to the taxi rank and shot two buddies and then just went on the rampage.

There seems to have been ample opportunities to preven this tragedy. He knew he was losing it and wasn't helped by anyone.

If only...

Bloody heartbreaking.

Sad news, and a bad day for shooters, especially with the anti-gun lobby, who will selfishly use this event for their own agenda.

With the 1689 Bill of Rights and the rights of firearms ownership being consistently eroded in the following 300 odd years, I can't see how, in a free society, gun control can be further tightened. Indeed the current laws in mainland UK are somewhat draconian.

The fact that there have only been 3 shooting sprees with large numbers in the last 23 years, shows (statistically) that murder using a legally held firearm, whilst an emotive event, is not a huge problem in the UK. Consider that in 2007 2946 people were killed in Road Traffic Accidents, in the politicians felt it apt to congratulate this figure as low, no calls to ban motor vehicles. Bearing in mind that the gun control film, loved by the Liberal media and gun control lobby, Bowling for Columbine, lists the UK firearms death statistic as 68, show that statistically again, firearms are not a problem.

Those fond of knee jerk reactions and banning should remember that:

In the wake of 7/7 Muslims weren't banned from public transport to save lives

Lorry drivers haven't been banned to protect prostitutes

Hammers and Knives weren't banned after Peter Sutcliffes killings

Harold Shipman didn't force the government to ban GP's to save the elderly

Whilst i'm maybe being pedantic, proof shows that firearms ownership is safer than car ownership, ownership of ladders and many other everyday items that kill more people each year.

Common sense is needed to prevail despite the media hype and conjecture.

Have to say I agree with Pastiebap, preventing the kneejerk is the important thing; according to the news tonight there are over 714,000 sgc holders in the country so banning shotguns would mean that for a 0.00014% abberation( over 20 years) we should deny the other 713,999+ license holders the opportunity to enjoy their sport.

As Pastie says we would actually celebrate "only" 3 instances of such manic behaviour by car drivers in 20 years but we are conditioned to expect death by car so are effectively innured to it unless directly affected, similarly industrial deaths, whilst having fallen dramatically in the last 20 years, would still outweigh this type of tragedy

This is a very dark day for our country, my condolences and deepest sympathies are with the families that have been affected by this. And while I don't want to speculate on what the future holds for us license holders, as now is not the time until we have all the information. One thing is for sure, the spotlight will be on us for months now and we must be whiter than white.

Angus

I Wouldnt be too sure that it will be as bad as the aftermath of Dunblane due to the fact that we have probably the worst Budget for nearly sixty years coming up on the 22nd of June and most people including the press are only interested in what is happening to effect them directly!

And from what I have seen from the people interviewed nearly all have said that Britain has the toughest gun laws in the world and knee jerk reactions will solve nothing, plus a number have said that the handgun ban did nothing to stop gun crime in fact the opposite happened and it has escalated since 1997.

MY Thoughts go out to all of those involved in this Tragedy and I cannot even get close to how the survivors must be feeling.

But Lets be extremely careful what we say on here as the Gutter press you can be sure are watching "YOUR" every word :angry:

My condolences go out to all people that have been affected and lost their lives, however let's not be radh and expect a knee jerk reaction, a pshycopath will not be stopped by the banning of legally held guns and I will fight fully any further restriction upon the ownership of firearms.

My thoughts and condolences are with all those affected. A very, very, sad day.

I Heard this on the news last night and on the way home this morning.

I'm dumbfounded.

I can not get myself into the mind that can do this.

What is it that makes what appears to have been a normal human being, flip this way?

I'm lost for words...

Anyone else find it weird the guy was a taxi driver?

No difference if he was a carpenter or decorator.

I watched snippets of the news between taxi pickups last night. Passengers then started discussing it with me - one of them a farmers wife with a husband and son that shoots.

It's a very bad time for so many people in Cumbria this morning, and I cannot think of any words that would console them.

One of the alarmist news snips I picked up on was this was done at "point blank range" We will hear lots of this type of sensationalism over the coming days. I'm glad to be able to say I have recently been able to find the funds to rejoin BASC as I think they have the right people to counter some of the knee jerk reactions to this awful event.

Edited by Dave-G