semi auto's

blacta

I don't know if the word "better" is the right one, though I think semi's have some advantages, but all comes down to personal preference. I've shot one now the last three outings, and I am liking the semi......

Advantages for me are:

Usually lighter

Don't have to break the gun to add cartridges

The extra cartridge/s

i use a SbS and find that if the birds are not silloueted, they are harder to lock onto but i still get around 1/2.5ish.

when i was younger i used a single barrel 410 and was quite a hotshot so i thought i may try a single barrel again but with 3 shots!

is it easier to shoot with?

Cheers Blacta

I got a semi specifically for pigeon shooting as I've only recently got into decoying and I personally find it easier to use in the hide than break barrel.

If you load 3 shots but just use 2 before you re-load then it's veryy quick to just slot another couple of shells into the mag.

Another plus is that the gun barrels need never point anywhere other than at the sky or a bird when you're taking a shot.

I'm also less worried about bashing the semi or getting it covered in mud, it somehow feels as though it's more suitable for roughing about which is probably just *******

I got a franchi fast as I wanted an inertia driven gun for the low maintainance/easy cleaning aspect.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...&hl=franchi

i use pump actions, they have all the benefits of a semi (load from beneath, extra shot, dont have to break the gun) but added advantages are you rarely get a jam (and if you do its your own fault!), far easier to maintain, they dont get fussy about different types of ammo, and they dont kick spent shells out as far as a semi - most of mine are usually within 2ft of where im sitting :good:

Just wondering what people thought about semi auto's for pigeon shooting in comparison to SbS and O/U?

Cheers :(

I know I only shoot clays but some one said to me once get a semi do not let any one put you off,you wont know how good it is till you have tried one so I bought a winch xs3 and only use it on some shoots but every time i use it ,it makes me smile I love it easy to load, little recoil,and good results,you can fit it to you easy with the shims,try one you wont look back :hmm:

Not better. Different.

The only downside to a semi is trying to find the empties that get spewn around, esp now everything is grown up again.

Yes, but just remember that your kill to shot ratio is soooo much better if you can't find all the shells to count up at the end of the day :(