Guns lack of use

deputy dog

Hi all.

Over the last year i'v had a period of i'll health and a lot of work commitmments following. So my guns haven't had the the use they should

be having. I dont drive myself and was going to get a car this year and start going out more often to my permissions i have, which are a fair

few. But then my long term girlfriend came out of work ( MADE REDUNDENT ) in the middle of last year which put a serious dampner on the car

side of things. And with petrol prices an other stuff going sky high. My meager council wage is stretched enough as it is keeping the 2 of us.

So in a nut shell i got to 2 guns, 1 semi auto Winchester SX3 and A Cz .17hmr gathering dust in the cabinet. The semi has had about a box of carts through it in just under a year iv had it. And the HMR has had about 350 shots through her in the 18 months iv had that. Still got 150 rounds left from the original 500 round batch i bought with the rifle. So i'm really starting to think of calling it a day an selling up and

letting the guns go and get the use they were made for. My girlfriend in all fairness has told me to keep the, till better times and i get a

car, but how far into the future that will be, who knows. I love my guns and shooting an hunting in general, but finding it hard to justify

myslef keeping them. Its an head frying decision to make and it wont be made lightly. But in the near future if you do see any guns under the name Deputy Dog for sale. You will know the guns lost the battle. And some one will have the chance to buy 2 great guns very under used for a good price.

ATB

DD

Thats a sickener mate, dont do it. If you are managing without having sold them, then you will continue to do so. Its like saying, " i could also sell the sofa, and sit on the floor". Dont do it mate. Why not put a few adds up on here for a shooting partner? Im sure there is somebody in your area who is willing to drive, and does not mind buying a few extra rounds for the sake of some good shooting. Or what about a mentor? Some young lad on here could drive and get some experience at the same time.

I hate to do it, but sometimes i make serious posts. Back to being a div. :good:

Tough one, at the end of the day shooting is a hobby for most, hobby take up time and money but are important to our sanity. perhaps there is a compromise to be had? Hopefully your partner will find work soon and you can get some more time to get out. This time of year isn't great for anyone, short days, cold etc and less vermin activity over legitimate grounds...

I would say try and forget about the money side of things forget the guns for a while leave them in the cabinet and wait for the next opportunity to present itself, probably sooner than you think.

Hi all.

Over the last year i'v had a period of i'll health and a lot of work commitmments following. So my guns haven't had the the use they should

be having. I dont drive myself and was going to get a car this year and start going out more often to my permissions i have, which are a fair

few. But then my long term girlfriend came out of work ( MADE REDUNDENT ) in the middle of last year which put a serious dampner on the car

side of things. And with petrol prices an other stuff going sky high. My meager council wage is stretched enough as it is keeping the 2 of us.

So in a nut shell i got to 2 guns, 1 semi auto Winchester SX3 and A Cz .17hmr gathering dust in the cabinet. The semi has had about a box of carts through it in just under a year iv had it. And the HMR has had about 350 shots through her in the 18 months iv had that. Still got 150 rounds left from the original 500 round batch i bought with the rifle. So i'm really starting to think of calling it a day an selling up and

letting the guns go and get the use they were made for. My girlfriend in all fairness has told me to keep the, till better times and i get a

car, but how far into the future that will be, who knows. I love my guns and shooting an hunting in general, but finding it hard to justify

myslef keeping them. Its an head frying decision to make and it wont be made lightly. But in the near future if you do see any guns under the name Deputy Dog for sale. You will know the guns lost the battle. And some one will have the chance to buy 2 great guns very under used for a good price.

ATB

DD

Sad to hear this... I think many will struggle financially in the next 18 months moreso than any of the Government advisors realise.

In my industry there are some Major Construction firms teetering on the edge of insolvency and its only a matter of time until Vat, Fuel duty, Government cut backs and Lack of work associated with it force wholescale redundancies and the final Straw for the Camels back.

How the hell Local Authorities and councils are going to find the savings to public services without a massive round of redundancies I just dont know.

I would be tempted to sell the guns if you do decide to give up but keep your licences going if you can so you can return to it later if you wish.

Good luck to you both I sincerely hope there are better times ahead for you. ;)

You probably have lived long enough to know that things don't always stay the same, they often change and this can be for the good, as well as the bad.

If you sell your shooting equipment now due to current circumstances, what happens when those circumstances change ?

It will certainly cost you in time and money to get back in the game, especially if you have given up your licences and permissions.

You need a shooting partner. :good:

I had a good few years layoff for various personal reasons but in all that time, I renewed my licence and kept my guns ready...just in case.

I am pleased to say, I restarted my love affair with shooting late last year and with the help of members on this site, I am now getting back in the swing and loving every minute more than ever.

Dont do it.

Tough one, at the end of the day shooting is a hobby for most, hobby take up time and money but are important to our sanity. perhaps there is a compromise to be had? Hopefully your partner will find work soon and you can get some more time to get out. This time of year isn't great for anyone, short days, cold etc and less vermin activity over legitimate grounds...

Good point here about your sanity! If things are tough one of the most important things in keeping a positive outlook and good health is doing things you enjoy. Try and stick with it mate.

similar sort of situation lost my job last year cant drive but dont sell your gear i done this once big mistake i go to scotland 4 times a year but i rely on my mate from tenby to pick me up so im starting driving lessons tomorrow at the grand old age of 47 DONT SELL YOUR GEAR.

Yep dont do it a mate of mine has got bad knees so cannot walk far and cannot work.

He said I dont use the shotgun anymore so when his license renewal came around he surrendered it and sold the gun.

Now hes picked up a bit he regrets selling up and the cost on starting again is to much for him now.

If only he had payed his £40 renewal

Dont do it !

Things do change, another thing is if you let your License expire some Police forces get funny about "reapplication"

you might get questioned about why you havnt brought any 17 rounds in the last few years, Dont! let them badger you just tell them youve had a year off to sort finances and your getting back into it "Next Year"

Hang in there

"Things can only get Better"

Wb

Over the years I have had a couple of times where I thought about selling off my shooting kit. Life's like that and in our modern more stressful life we sometime have little or no time to spare. Life changes, sometime for the worse, sometimes for the better but if like me, shooting and the countryside is more a way of life than a hobby, sooner or latter you will gather the inevitable urge to "just get out" and do some shooting.

If you were thinking of selling up to make ends meet, then you might be right. Over the years I have had to sell a couple of guns to get some much needed extra cash and if your were talking about airguns, well the airgun can be replaced with ease.

However, I think anyone who hold a SGC or FAC would be a complete fool to let the certificates go these days. It not exactly easy to get hold of the certificates, and it's not going to get any easier.

The choice has to be up to you but it might not be as easy as you think to get the option back at a latter date! The guns are not eating or drinking or costing you money. Think very hard before you rush in and make a complete hash of it, chances are if you hand in your certificates, you may never see them again.

John

Just another vote for 'don't give up'... if you've got the skills and the land then how about offering the occasional shooting day to people in the shooting offered section, you might even be able to make some kind of token charge that will also help your finances. There has to be a way through it... hell, i'd even come up for a good day out!

It's easy to say DD but,in the words of the song,always look on the bright side.Look forward to things improving and keep your kit for that day.

A few years ago I was told to give up shooting on health grounds so I got rid of all my gear. The diagnosis turned out to be a load of cobblers and I had to start all over again and it cost me a bomb.

So stick with it and keep doing the lottery!

Regards, Vic.