Girlfriend won't have guns in the house.

Kidney505

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well thanks for all of the support. I had decided what I was going to tell her in a general way before I posted but it's always good to draw on other peoples experiences and advice before rushing blindly into a situation expecially one that can get as messy as this.

She's has basically been brought up away from my kind of lifestyle and guns and all she's hear about them is what's been said on the news. So I'm Soping that a bit of education will go a long way. She says that she's afraid of them, believes them dangerous etc... but that nothing new alot of people are afraid of the unknown or in this case prehapse the misunderstood.

If she says would you choose guns over me I can quite easily say would you give up reading (she is a dedicated reader and always has been) for me? Thus I'm not choosing guns over her I merely refusing to change for her in a way that would make me so unhappy.

I started the 'debate' with with her earlier. Wish me luck lol. :good:

What's to discuss?

Your G/F should love you for who you are, not what She can turn you in to, or take away from you.

Works both ways....have you asked her to give up anything?

If not, offer her this deal.....If your guns must go, so do all of her clothes whilst she's in the house, visitors or not.

If yer gonna lose something, you might as well make it enjoyable

p.s. if she goes for it, what's yer new address :lol:

Edited by Mk1 Man

I had this a little with my GF, she is american so I dont blame her for the initial feelings towards guns. But it all came down to education and how it works here, I told her how they are currently kept in a reinforced cabinet bolted to the wall with a house alarm attached, and how you need several references before you can even own them. Not to mention all the police checks and the FEO coming out for a chat and inspection.

After I explained how hard it was to actually have guns and the rules and laws that go with it she had no problems with them being in the house :good: Maybe get the FEO out to look at the house and at the same time get your GF to have a chat with him/her about any concerns she may have.

I met my female when I was 28 and that was in 1989, I had guns then and have guns now, she's only once mentioned that she didn't want guns in the house, she was informed, (the exact words were), " I'm a country lad with country traits, I've shot since I was 7 years old, thats 21 years before I met you, do you think I'm going to stop now at your request?" I've had no complaints since, especially when I put food on the table with rod and gun.

I had this a little with my GF, she is american so I dont blame her for the initial feelings towards guns. But it all came down to education and how it works here, I told her how they are currently kept in a reinforced cabinet bolted to the wall with a house alarm attached, and how you need several references before you can even own them. Not to mention all the police checks and the FEO coming out for a chat and inspection.

After I explained how hard it was to actually have guns and the rules and laws that go with it she had no problems with them being in the house :good: Maybe get the FEO out to look at the house and at the same time get your GF to have a chat with him/her about any concerns she may have.

i think if girlfriend told feo didnt want guns in house could cause problems for op :good:

My wife would rather I didn't shoot sees it as expensive and cruel I think. Yesterday she was telling me the rabbit pen I was planning for training the dog was a concentration camp for rabbits !!! Anyway she loves me and accepts me as I am and so let's me get on with it if it makes me happy. Wot a lucky boy I am!!!

We need pictures to help decide :whistling::lol:

i am honestly suprised that mungler didnt say this :lol: but fair point :lol::good:

i make a point of never seing a girl that has problems with me killing critters! or guns dogs

girl.. "oh what do you do for a liveing?"

me..."well i kill ****, and breed pheasants so fat germans can kill them too"

girl.... "oh ok, so you shoot inocent animals?!"

me... "nope just the guilty ones"

very very good song lol

The key is to change her perspective.....more people are killed with knives in the UK than guns.....so using her logic, lets remove all knives in the house.....anyway no one should be asked to give anything up that makes them who they are. Stand your ground....

Edited by Bradders

Oh gawd..you just reminded me of my 1st marriage :blink: :blink:

I Don't like telling people how to live thier life, but !!!! to be told you CAN'T have something that is locked up safely in YOUR House too (remembering you will own half the house) is way out of Order,

You will have the keys to the safe, so she doesn.t even have to see them

i am sure you won't stop her having her toys ie hoover, washing machine iron etc etc :rolleyes:

stand your ground or !!!! be driven into it :yes:

Edited by jasper3

A friend of mine was to get engaged, a few days before the engagement he joined me and a couple of others for a fishing trip, his fiancee objected strongly to his going out and owning airguns etc and asked him to "change his ways" before they get married, he asked for my opinion which i gave - "sort it out now or forever hold your peace" he had a long chat with her and finally they broke it off - better to find someone who accepts or shares similar interests or else for the rest of your life you will regret not being able to do what you want.

First its no guns later no shooting.

/S/