How many points you got

pavman

Got caught a few years back by one of these Community Safety Partnership camera vans (a.k.a. council piggy-banks). Clocked me at 83 mph in a 60 mph limit - on a deserted piece of arrow-straight road in the Highlands on a dry, sunny day.

I wasn't too impressed, as I take road safety seriously. I drive a well-maintained vehicle within its - and my own - limitations and with due regard to prevailing road conditions. I don't feel embarrassed to make that claim - it's based on 39 years' experience, no accidents, no other convictions and some advanced-driving courses.

Anyway, I resisted the temptation to send in a snotty letter with my licence and cheque for £60.

But guess what? Two weeks later, our Chief Constable got caught in exactly the same place at 81 mph!!

At least I wasn't the one who had to go on television and make a grovelling apology for "my gross error of judgement"!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or this subject really gets my goat 20 odd years never a single point never bin a criminal or evan a parking ticket

and sum jobs worth cop age 13ish tellin me i was doing 36 in a 30 8 months ago i was barking at him but still never let me off

And to top it of unmarked traffic cop caught a speeder on m18 the nite after me on sum cop show on telly doing 91 mph

over 6 mile and let him off with a tellin off no justice

Then insurance companys take **** when you tell them think mine went up 100 quid dirty vermin :yes:

There was another 1 where the motorcycle was doing over 60 in a 30 while on way home from work late at night,

The policeman told him "im a biker too", gave him a stern talking to, and then let him off......

I would love to have been the next guy he stopped for speeding after it aired......lol

Ive had 1 sp30 (36 in a 30) and an sp40 (50 in a 40, *across the A69 in an HGV) at different times and at the mo im clean......

:shaun:

well I got pulled a few nights ago, doing about 48 in a 40, dual carriageway, late on etc. so i got out and went into super-grovel, admitted speeding and didn't try to justify it. Plod then got out a book and started to fill all my details in, PNC'd me etc. all ok, but I've now got a Section 59 :blink:

If me or the car get done speeding again, the car gets impounded! :angry:

Got 12 months before it runs out, I've NEVER had points in 31 years (Lord only knows how, I've had about 30 bikes and 20 cars, just sold my tuned 406 Coupe, 160mph beasty!) but now I daren't budge over the limit...its done a good job then, this Sec 59 :lol:

dibble said "its more for the boy racers so don't worry about the impounding bit"....now I feel hurt, thats Ageist, I'm only 48 :lol: :lol:

only had one fine and points 6 points 500 quid fine, fully deserved, no argument, even though it was an open empty road dual carriage way no housing anywhere near and 4 am on a mid june morning, I did after all have a strange device behind the steering wheel that stated the speed I was doing ;)

KW

well I got pulled a few nights ago, doing about 48 in a 40, dual carriageway, late on etc. so i got out and went into super-grovel, admitted speeding and didn't try to justify it. Plod then got out a book and started to fill all my details in, PNC'd me etc. all ok, but I've now got a Section 59 :blink:

If me or the car get done speeding again, the car gets impounded! :angry:

Got 12 months before it runs out, I've NEVER had points in 31 years (Lord only knows how, I've had about 30 bikes and 20 cars, just sold my tuned 406 Coupe, 160mph beasty!) but now I daren't budge over the limit...its done a good job then, this Sec 59 :lol:

dibble said "its more for the boy racers so don't worry about the impounding bit"....now I feel hurt, thats Ageist, I'm only 48 :lol: :lol:

You shouldn't have got a sec 59 warning for speeding, that sounds really moody....I'd make some enquiries regarding that if i was you.

SSSSSCCCCCCAAAAABBBBBB!!!! :angry::lol:

Never had any points (touch wood). Imho the speed limits need to be changed in line with the improvements in cars since the limits were introduced. I'd have 20mph in all residential estates and everything else upped by 10mph and 3 lane motorways would have a 90mph max and a 55mph minimum :sly:

Mark

makes no odds what speed limits you have, you will always get nuggets who see no point in them , my road, full of kids playing, has a 20mph restriction, often get scumbags doing at least 50 racing past, they will kill some kid one day, would the defence say hey it's a modern car it should be allowed to go fast? I have no prob with speed, its inappropriate speed that is the prob, and dare I suggest 44 in a 30 is tad over the top to be bleating about the outcome?

KW

I collected 2 lots of speeding points and the wife 1 lot in a 3 week period.

An expensive month that was :oops::lol: but points now off again. Picked up another lot 3 months back and had to do the 'speed awareness' course :yes:

Each time picked up on quiet country roads and not hugely over the limit either:angry:

i got 8 in one sitting :blush:

i was driveing a landrover 50m between two fields (aged 15) and a copper pulled up behind me and pulled me into the gameway i was going to turn into any how :oops:

so i had no licence no insurance and the olandy had no tax as well as being dirty (ok **** up to the 9s) so he threw the book at me! them i asked if i could drive into the field and drop the sheep off out the trailer he said no your not leagle in that.

so when the farmers wife come to drive it back to the farm she could not reverse,,,she asked the copper to ....he could no reverse the landy so guess what?? he asked me to as we were blocking the road by that time

i said "sorry sir ime not leagle to drive that on a publick road" :lol::lol: he was not happy

This one goes out to the Essex masssssssive

A127 just past Basildon turn off (Southend bound before the Wickford turnoff) road works and a 50 limit - I came off the slip from Bas vegas doing just under 60 before I saw the horrible mobile camera van - hopefully I slowed down soon enough otherwise a NOIP whinging my way in the next few days.

3 Points for using my phone whilst driving a few years ago.

I got caught speeding a few months ago 38 in a 30, sent the plod an email to say i had lost my counterpart and i am sending off for a new copy. Got an email a few weeks ago to say that my email had been overlooked and because they didnt reply within so many days they were binning the case :) happy days

Well I have 3 points sp30. Travelling down to the British Touring Cars at Brands Hatch at 05:30am just 3 miles from home, no houses on one side of the road and I was the only vehicle on the road. Ticking over at 44mph in a 30mph in 6th gear in my Astra VXR, minding my own buisness, and flash....didnt get the chance of a driving seminar thing or any chance to ask why they wasnt catching all the drunken, uninsured eastern european drivers that feature in our local paper every week. Then the insurance company upped the premium even thought i had already paid the £60 fine. Wheres the sensible approach gone !!

On the subject of speed cameras...a bit of info if you drive a van or hgv...the cameras with a elongated slot and round lens can detect if youre hgv (40 limit) etc but the cameras with just 2 round lenses cant tell the difference from lorrys or cars ;-)

Edited by ayano3

Im on 9 at the moment with 3 due to go soon have been on 12 not good ,got 6 in 1 go for doing 70 in a 40mph plus a fine .

When was younger was stopped thought i was in for it big time doing well over a ton but copper just wanted to have a look around the car and even asked for a go :lol: nice chap

Got caught on a bike I was test driving to buy 6 points and licence revoked, £400 quid fine aswell, then lessons and test fees again so was near a 650 sort of pay out. Aswell as doing 20 miles on a push bike to work a day, in january/feb time, wasn't best pleased, Grrr.

Edited by dan-250

makes no odds what speed limits you have, you will always get nuggets who see no point in them , my road, full of kids playing, has a 20mph restriction, often get scumbags doing at least 50 racing past, they will kill some kid one day, would the defence say hey it's a modern car it should be allowed to go fast? I have no prob with speed, its inappropriate speed that is the prob, and dare I suggest 44 in a 30 is tad over the top to be bleating about the outcome?

KW

Blimey we agree on something :lol:

I think you have to have lived in a 30 limit that gets abused to realise they aren't just cash machines and people do ask the police to enforce 30 limits. Obviously everyone on here is a better driver and the limits were wrong but if you have a house in those limits you might understand the issues. Trying to get out of driveways safely has been a problem I've had when you take your life in your hands trying to get out with cars doing 50 plus through a 30. Then nights they go even faster it does make you realise some of these schemes have a lot going for them. I treat speeding fines like an investment, I don't always stick to limits and if I get one I won't be moaning about it the far better way to look at it is how many thousands of times did you get away with it. After all 44 in a 2 tonne 4x4 on AT tyres won't stop very fast were the proverbial child to run out :/

92 in a 60, had to go to court. Company van on an empty dual carriageway at 11pm on a saturday night.

Dressed smart, polite to the magistrate and admitted what I had done. He reduced the points/fine from 6 and £600 to 4 and £400 and then spent 10 minutes apologising that he couldn't lower it any further as he was bound by the guidelines.

Just bought a motorbike so I'm expecting more in the near future!