Pigeon Watch Charity Shoot - LOCATION

Teal

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which Location For the 2012 Charity Shoot?

• Doveridge
    • Orston

2012PWNorthVsSouthLogosmall.png Pigeon Watch NvS Charity Shoot 2012 - Location 2012PWNorthVsSouthLogosmall.png

Having contacted grounds in the area, I am pleased to confirm that we have a choice of two grounds which are local to the 'mid-point' of Pigeon Watch members aiming to attend the Charity Shoot, these are Orston and Doveridge. Both of these grounds boast good sized club houses, and are capable of hosting the North v South shoot. The shoot itself, will be on the same basis as the last two years, a squadded 100 bird sporting shoot.

View the grounds on the Charity Shoot Map page here: http://wherestheclayground.at/pwcharityshoot/

Petethegeek has also added a distance calculator widget at the bottom of the page, and this could help you decide on which ground you prefer. If you click on the markers for Orston and Doveridge on the map (the blue ?) you will be taken through to their websites where you can find out more information about the grounds.

Please only vote if you intend to come to the Charity Shoot, which it is hoped will be held in May.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we need some guidance from the Northern monkeys as to which is the better ground with the better facilities.

I haven't shot either ground and don't know what they are like, but then again I'm relaxed and will go with the flow and will let the better informed amongst us vote on it.

P.S.

Which ground is Phil Moss at now? I'll vote for that ground - it's going to be a lovely bit of Essex paradise up North.

I think we need some guidance from the Northern Gods as to which is the better ground with the better facilities.

I haven't shot either ground and don't know what they are like, but then again I'm relaxed and will go with the flow and will let the better informed amongst us vote on it.

P.S.

Which ground is Phil Moss at now? I'll vote for that ground - it's going to be a lovely bit of Essex chavness up North.

Agree with you on both counts,

We need guidance, but am happy with whichever one gives the better weather and bacon butties, or which has a Premier Inn handy

Orston has 6 premier Inns with 19 miles (seems to be a bit more expensive)

Doveridge has 6 within 16 miles

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860

I use Orston regularly and would describe it as more like a golf club than a shooting ground.

It is clean and tidy with excellent facilities and gunshop.

The sporting layout is on flat ground and therefore easy to negotiate and disabled friendly.

There is Sportrap,Skeet,DTL,ABT,Double Rise and Universal Trench if you want a bit of variety on top of the charity shoot.

If Orston is chosen I can post directions as the postcode for satnavs is a bit off target,

I don't know Doveridge at all.

Vic.

Edited by VicW

I've not been to either but I've heard orston is a very nice ground. And is the next on my list to visit ? Not too far away from Grantham is it ?

I've also heard good reports about doveridge but it's further away from me. And I have no clue as to where that ground is

Edited by dan-250

Both grounds are very good in terms of targets and facilities, nothing to separate them at all.

In terms of access the valley at Doveridge is steep and can be a climb for those less able, no such problems at Orston, so bear that in mind when voting if its an issue.

I am not bothered which ground gets it as in my opinion both will do a great job, but I am going to vote for Orston as I don’t shoot it as much as Doveridge, but either one is a winner in my eyes. :good:

Just been talking Phil Moss today, he is at Worsley, we are slowly turning him to our Northern Ways. :yes:;)

Edited by timps

Both grounds are top drawer, but as Timps said - the hill at Doveridge is a bit of a hike for the infirm :good: (or idle :lol:)

Doveridge gets my vote though, because... I like it more <_<

Orston it is then as im both infirm and idle

Just need a date now so we can take advantage of cheap rooms :good:

:shaun:

I've shot Doveridge many times, ever since it opened, an easy ground to get to from the M1 via the A50, nice clubhouse, friendly owners, but yes, the hill would be a bit of a tough trek for some. :blush:

I've also shot Orston, although not for many years, when there was a "rival" ground in the next field. :blink:

I've heard very good reports about Orston, it would be a few extra miles for us Suvverners, but may be worth it, so it gets my vote. :good:

Just one small point for Teal, when negotiating the deal with the Ground, please try and arrange for our event to be given exclusive access to the 100 bird round, (as it was at Hodnet, but not at Sporting Targets).

We all want to get back in the clubhouse as soon as possible so we can have a laugh and spend more money on raffle tickets, rather than being stuck behind a squad of locals doing practice who are nothing to do with our fundraiser.

Most grounds would not have a problem with such a request, provided it was made clear at the time of booking.

Looking forward to it already. :yes:

Cat.

I've voted Orston as they're more of a club than Doveridge who run major CPSA events and I think Orston will want to look after us more.

Please, please, please if we're holding it in May go for either the 12th or 26th - otherwise it'll be the third year I won't be able to attend :sad1:

please please please don't use the 11th to 13th of may as i've set those dates aside for the rifle meet at doveridge and i know a lot of you were interested in going...........any other weekend is fine for me.

now I'm smack in the middle being in derby and have shot doveridge a fair bit as has been said its got a steep valley but a nice cafe/clubhouse and friendly staff and people will struggle to get up it I've never shot at orston so it gets my vote. best get practising with miffy n the midlands massive as miffy's shooting like a bellend.

I have gone for Orston as I have not shot there for about 20 years, also its slightly nearer for me.(35 miles round trip nearer), I do enjoy shooting at Doveridge the hill is a monster but I would be happy with either.If the targets are choice then i would be more than pleased to give Orston a go. from Auntie. :good: