Safestyle UK...yes.... BOGOF mate!

hedd-wyn

A few months back I received a phone call off the mrs at work stating that a sales rep from Safestyle UK (yes that annoying BOGOF ***** off the telly) had knocked on the door and offered a free quote.

Great I thought, and they agreed that a salesman would come round at 8-00, measure the windows, and give us a quote.... could it really be that simple???

When the salesman arrived, we invited him in, offered him a cup of tea and expected him to get straight at it.

To begin with he appeared to be a really genuine guy, then he stared going on about his poorly mother in law, and his busy day, his family, and his dog that died two weeks back... I could see that this was going to take a long time, and knew which 'sales' tactic h was trying to pull off.

Three cups of tea later he measured the windows, and showed us the samples and gave us a price. I nearly hit the roof as he wanted nearly three grand for three windows and a door!!!

He returned to the car for five minutes for me and the mrs to decide what we wanted to do, and how we would like to pay!

When he returned his personality had totally changed, he was now in predator mode and came out with classics like 'Are you in the market or not?, don't be wasting my time if you're not in the market' and 'have you any idea how busy I am, I have a family to home to!'

At this stage I started feeling uncomfortable because he was nearly becoming aggressive and was starting to upset the mrs. So told him straight, that we had agreed on a free quote and nothing else and that I felt pressurised into buying off them which was unacceptable.

He wasn't happy with this so I showed him the door.

He had spent two and a half hours in my home and had behaved like a total brick.

Has anyone else had an unpleasant experience with this company?

Read a couple of forums and it appears that a few folk have experienced bully tactic selling form Safstyle uk

Might've been a one off, but I hate feeling intimidated in my own home.

Rant over :yes:

Interesting reading. My mrs had them cold call at the door last week and since we are considering where to get new windows from she arranged for them to come and do their "free quote".

I was not particularly happy about this as I would rather not use anyone who cold calls. They rang up to confirm the appointment and the bloke was a complete pushy cock on the phone so I told him to stick his appointment as his hard sales will not work on me and will just lead me to get rid of him.

It is totally out of order the hard sales tactics they use. They won't work on me as I don't give a toss about upsetting or being rude to a salesman but i can imagine more "vulnerable" people being bullied into accepting a huge quote from an aggressive salesman.

After reading your account I am glad I cancelled...

Edited by oscarsdad

I bought windows from safestyle about 2 ish years ago , i didnt find the saleman that pushy to be honest i knew what i wanted to pay and i managed to get that price and have to say the windows are good quality/security etc. The problems started when the guys came to fit them, total cowboys didnt have a clue what they was doing, and after two windows i stopped them fitting because the work was so poor . To cut a long story short they discounted the fitting cost back to me and i fitted them myself in the end :good:

A few months back I received a phone call off the mrs at work stating that a sales rep from Safestyle UK (yes that annoying BOGOF ***** off the telly) had knocked on the door and offered a free quote.

Great I thought, and they agreed that a salesman would come round at 8-00, measure the windows, and give us a quote.... could it really be that simple???

When the salesman arrived, we invited him in, offered him a cup of tea and expected him to get straight at it.

To begin with he appeared to be a really genuine guy, then he stared going on about his poorly mother in law, and his busy day, his family, and his dog that died two weeks back... I could see that this was going to take a long time, and knew which 'sales' tactic h was trying to pull off.

Three cups of tea later he measured the windows, and showed us the samples and gave us a price. I nearly hit the roof as he wanted nearly three grand for three windows and a door!!!

He returned to the car for five minutes for me and the mrs to decide what we wanted to do, and how we would like to pay!

When he returned his personality had totally changed, he was now in predator mode and came out with classics like 'Are you in the market or not?, don't be wasting my time if you're not in the market' and 'have you any idea how busy I am, I have a family to home to!'

At this stage I started feeling uncomfortable because he was nearly becoming aggressive and was starting to upset the mrs. So told him straight, that we had agreed on a free quote and nothing else and that I felt pressurised into buying off them which was unacceptable.

He wasn't happy with this so I showed him the door.

He had spent two and a half hours in my home and had behaved like a total brick.

Has anyone else had an unpleasant experience with this company?

Read a couple of forums and it appears that a few folk have experienced bully tactic selling form Safstyle uk

Might've been a one off, but I hate feeling intimidated in my own home.

Rant over :yes:

I went through all this the other year with a few companies. In the end I went with a local builder - old school friend, who did 8 windows and 2 doors, complete new garage roof and re-rendering for 4 1/2 grand. Did a fantastic job too. Sod the window companies mate- go local builder.

I went through all this the other year with a few companies. In the end I went with a local builder - old school friend, who did 8 windows and 2 doors, complete new garage roof and re-rendering for 4 1/2 grand. Did a fantastic job too. Sod the window companies mate- go local builder.

This is what we're in the process of doing right now mate. Stick to local tradesmen that you know.

No bull **** , it's a case of 'you need windows, I need money, so lets negotiate' ...simple :yes:

Edited by hedd-wyn

I have to agree with Hedd - go for local trades men - we had the pressure sales man - it was our first time with the plastic man - never buy from cold callers - look down the local rag - find three suppliers and get quotes - they are better and cheaper.

Dave

They wouldn't come out to give me a quote when I called them as when they asked if the person who would decide to go ahead with the quote would be there, at the time, and i told them I would be but I would decided there and then and would not sign a single thing until I had obtain further quotes from other companies

They wouldn't come out to give me a quote when I called them as when they asked if the person who would decide to go ahead with the quote would be there, at the time, and i told them I would be but I would decided there and then and would not sign a single thing until I had obtain further quotes from other companies

I told him that we were going to need a few quotes from other companies before making a decision... this is what turned the happy family guy salesman, into Clint off Me Myself and Irene!

Id sold a safestyle rep a phone a few years back when i was in the mobile business. Anyway she said shed do me a deal at mates rates. Seven grand for 5 windows and a door. Did the same sitting in the car trick to us while we made a descision. No way could or would i pay that. Told her thatbit was too pricey so she tried the interest free credit trick. Told her the wife had got bad credit from years back. She couldnt get away fast enough lol

They are all the same.

And now we have a Government that wants to insist on us paying for more lagging in the loft, more in the airing cupboard and as for the cavity wall...add another 2£k.

And God help you if you want a nice conservatory on the back.

Just get a good builder/chippy in and pay cash.

:yes:

Id sold a safestyle rep a phone a few years back when i was in the mobile business. Anyway she said shed do me a deal at mates rates. Seven grand for 5 windows and a door. Did the same sitting in the car trick to us while we made a descision. No way could or would i pay that. Told her thatbit was too pricey so she tried the interest free credit trick. Told her the wife had got bad credit from years back. She couldnt get away fast enough lol

Same here! If I was going to pay, I would've paid up front like everything else.

Don't really like the finance option. But he insisted that finance would be a 'wiser'... I wonder why :hmm:

Mate,

I had almost the same experience (not sure who the double glazing company was). Although I remeber the experience explicitly to the exact moment where I physically pushed the fellow out of the front door and asked him kindly not to bother returning. He was a big lad as well. I think there is deffinitiely a section of this sales genre that are ex high pressure sales reps. TBH in the end we got our windows done by a local small firm who did a great job with no pressure tactics - unfortunately some of the (so called - or at least well advertised) big firms seem to employ these ****'s as they sell well...

Edited by Newsportshooter

I would never use Safestyle on the basis of their obnoxious advertising. If it isnt that mong yelling at me it's Cannon and bloody Ball, or worst of all the one that encourages easily distracted plebs to "Read the Red Writing" at the top of the screen while they flash the T&Cs and legal stuff past on the bottom.

We have had a couple of sales people try it on before, once from an external house cladding company and once for a new front door. I am always very clear from the outset that I will take their quote and then consider it and others for a few days before selecting which to go for. The moment they start to push, they leave, and their quote (if they have had a chance to give it) leaves with them.

Many years ago I had a pushy salesman who refused to leave . He even sat watching a whole episode of coronation street that the mrs had on . After it finished I didnt say anything i just picked up his briefcase and glass sample opened the front door and threw them into the street then walked back into the lounge and suggested he followed them

He left and said thank you for your time i will leave you to think about it

i had a quote 2 years ago from them, didnt like the price and went with somebody else at half the cost.

SafeStyle now call me up every 3-6 months checking i still dont want to change my windows and keep badgering no matter how many times i told them I replaced the windows with somebody else.

Once they have done a quote they wont leave you alone, somebody from local area office will start calling you at any hour of the day plus is normally a Mobile number so you cant block it.

i regret getting the quote in the first place and agree about their obnoxious salesman with pushy techniques way they use.

the one that turned up at my house was hungover, smelt of booze and cigarettes and was a bit agressive near the end when i said no thanks.

Safestyle have a bad reputation for pushy salespeople. The previous owner of my house had windows etc. fitted by Safestyle, and they did a fairly shoddy job. They claimed the guarantee would be passed to me for free, then said there would be a charge as I hadn't informed them within a nano second of moving in. They also wanted to charge me for an engineer to come out and look at them before they could transfer the guarantee in case I'd "done something" to them in the meantime. I kicked up a fuss, and they waived most of the charges and transferred the guarantee. Which then proved to be pretty much worthless - they'll send a cowboy round to put a bit of extra sealant over a damp patch, but won't do any serious work such as stopping the leak, replacing the window handles with handles that actually fit, or repairing shoddy work from first installation. Avoid them.

A few years ago an old lady who lived alone in her fairly big house had a double glazing salesman call round. After 4 hours of him trying to sell her the stuff she finally phoned her daughter. It was by this time almost 10pm. The old girl didn't like to be rude and ask him to leave herself.

Daughter phones police asking if we could do anything as she lived a far distance away. I get sent and see outside the house the salesmans car with a huge crack a good 10 inches long across the screen, right in front of the drivers position. Anyway, I go in speak to the old girl who then asked the guy to leave. He went into the "you've wasted my time" routine with her, trying to make her feel guilty.He really had an attitude.

He gets into the car and duly receives a fixed penalty ticket for the screen :lol:

I had two doors from Safe style UK about 12 years ago and found the sales chap very pleasant.

However,before them Zenith gave me a quote which was atleast double what i wanted to pay.The salesman wouldnt leave and kept trying to push me for the order with the old tricks of "i'll just ring my boss to see if he can do anything...". I ended up getting very nasty with him and then he left.

NEVER deal with cold callers. None of them are trying to do you a favour.

Telephone or at the door - "Sod off I am busy".

When you need any service - use a local company who one of your friends can vouch for.

The locals have to give a good service or they would go out of business.

A few years ago an old lady who lived alone in her fairly big house had a double glazing salesman call round. After 4 hours of him trying to sell her the stuff she finally phoned her daughter. It was by this time almost 10pm. The old girl didn't like to be rude and ask him to leave herself.

Daughter phones police asking if we could do anything as she lived a far distance away. I get sent and see outside the house the salesmans car with a huge crack a good 10 inches long across the screen, right in front of the drivers position. Anyway, I go in speak to the old girl who then asked the guy to leave. He went into the "you've wasted my time" routine with her, trying to make her feel guilty.He really had an attitude.

He gets into the car and duly receives a fixed penalty ticket for the screen :lol:

Policing at it's best :good:

My ex-brother in law made around £65,000 in commission plus wages working for Safestyle last year. He admitted that you just have to be good at selling and intimidation,if they couldn't afford them it didn't matter. The sales team make huge profits particularly from finance deals.

I used them and over the years we have had all the windows etc replaced, last few was just last Nov/Dec time.

I just tell them what i want and i want them to give me their best price, i decide yes or no.

Quality of workmanship as been great to be honest, the only annoying thing is that they still phone to ask if i want my windows done :lol: