Breakdown cover!

liamp79

Who do you use for breakdown cover and is there anyone we should avoid?

We are off on hols to Scotland and we are taking the disco, so definately won't be going without.... :good::lookaround:

What are the options with the rescue packages and are there any daft clauses to look out for? ????

We have just thought about going with one of the usual two! Any advice???

Thanks

Liam

Edited by liamp79

Im with green flag,

I was with them years ago and called them out,

(burst radiator hose), didnt have a replacement (after 5 on a saturday teatime)he went back home and fashioned a temporary repair that he said would get me home (some 200 miles)

was still going some 18 months later

very helpful,

After that it always came as part of my bank account or insurance,

this year i had to sort my own out and had no hesitation using green flag again

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860

i'm back with the RAC, was with them for 15 years had no probs whenever i called them out only cancelled it after the missus sorted some cover through the Halifax reward scheme, only to find when i did use them it took 3 hours to get the AA call out to attend, was origanaly told they would be with me in half an hour! i think they prioritise there own customers first so you keep getting pushed to the back of the Que, fair enough i suppose but not a lot of good if you have a plane to catch!!.

my mate took his disco to the north of scotland,realised how much it was going to cost in juice to get home...so he ..induced a fault...which he knew how to fix but couldnt be fixed at the road side...had home recovery....free ride home courtesey of the rac

mikky

I'm with AA. Never had to use them but a mate had oil leaking from his bike when we were in Assen. They paid for his taxis, train, flight home and freighted his bike back. He was home before us.

Turned out to be a failed rubber seal that cost only a couple of quid.

Service seems to be good but I'm not happy with the price of the cover and may switch to a pay as you use service next year

I'm with the RAC, have been for about 13 years. When I was a lad my bangers were always breaking down. Never had any probs with them. Haven't had the need to use them in recent years but hopefully their service will be the same.

My father in law (was) with the AA. Again, hadn't used them for years, but he bought a Lotus from down the country last year. Driving it home, the diff started making terrible noises so he pulls over and calls them. His policy was AA Relay. Unbeknown to him that means that several trucks relay you back home! The journey should have taken 2-3 hrs max, but because of all the dropping off, waiting for another truck, getting it back on etc, it took 6 hours!!!!

So avoid AA Relay like the plague!

Jonathan

Son is (was) with Green Flag. Locked his keys in the boot. First of all they'd be an hour. Fine. Then they won't and they didn't. Waste of space.

But locking your keys in the boot is hardly a breakdown is it!!

I'm with AA. Never had to use them but a mate had oil leaking from his bike when we were in Assen. They paid for his taxis, train, flight home and freighted his bike back. He was home before us.

Turned out to be a failed rubber seal that cost only a couple of quid.

Service seems to be good but I'm not happy with the price of the cover and may switch to a pay as you use service next year

It's the old, old, you get what you pay for.

was with AA for 5 years with a 90 defender broke down after a shooting trip car was covered in mud from top to bottom they send i was not covered as id bin off road-in for fun you having a laugh you Muppet who came out had a 3 hr battle with them on phone .

After threatening them with theft of my money each month and leave ing a member at side of road they came back then sent me a hamper for the misunderstanding never bin back

RAC now they can have my pennys

First call break down. £39 iirc covers pretty much everything RAC or AA charge the earth for.

Roadside. Home start. Recovery. Onward travel. Overnight accomodation if needed too. For the money hard to beat.

First used them about 9 year ago and at the time cost me £26 platinum cover for a 2.5 V6 Mondy.

Who do you bank with? Most will provide break down cover for a monthly fee. Take out the up graded account for a month and then cancel, ta darrrr. I used to have lloyds premier at £25 per month. And no, there is'nt a contract that will bind you to keep it for a year. The only catch is the account isn't offered to all and you will be credit scored.

my mate took his disco to the north of scotland,realised how much it was going to cost in juice to get home...so he ..induced a fault...which he knew how to fix but couldnt be fixed at the road side...had home recovery....free ride home courtesey of the rac

mikky

Yes, they are on to this one, my mate had a hell of a job getting recovered from Scotland down to Bedfordshire as they accused him of doing just this. Caused him a lot of grief as he had to somehow prove it was a 'genuine' breakdown before they would move him, and they even tried to bill him for the fuel before a solicitors letter made them back off. So tell your mate the insurance fraudster "thanks"

used to be in the rac, had a membership where if you didn't claim ie call them out you got a discount on the next years membership. Unfortunatly had to call them out as ignition coil packed up they come out fixed it no probs. The problem was when my renewal came through it had doubled and more in price and looking at the web site I could join as a new member cheaper, so phoned them up complained and got nowhere she didn't understand the fact that I could cancel and rejoin cheaper so cancelled it, now back with them but done through my insurance company

Britannia Rescue for me. Had an accident in Italy in 1998 they shipped the car home, got me a hire car for the remaining time there and IIRC two flights home but that might have been my travel insurance. Disco TD5 had a bottom rad hose split one night in January this year, they collected car and took us home, they turned up tbe following morning to take the Disco onwards to my repairing garage. Only two times I've used them but I can't fault them for prompt service and customer care.

Edited by PhilR

im with the RAC doing it throgh Aviva where i work so I get discount but ive used them three times in 12 months everytime been very helpful. its worth getting a joint memberhsip to cover the missus as they treat females as first priority and will stay on the phone with her if she feels vunerable.

Insurance choice. We used to use the RAC and had no problems with them, expect they didn't cover the large vans we used. We then went on to use these people and found them to be about half the price of the AA and RAC.

We've used them twice, both times they came out quickly and towed the vehicles home without any difficulties. Highly recommended.

I don't use them now after upgrading to a decent motor, but they're very good.

http://www.insurancechoice.co.uk/breakdowncover/car-breakdown-cover

http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/ £38 for a year, and you're covered whatever car you're driving. Think it includes a spouse too.

I've been with them for a few years now and never had a problem with them. Bear in mind though, if you do break down, they send someone local and you pay them, then reclaim from Autoaid. Worked fine for me, takes a week or so to get the money, and sometimes the breakdown co invoices Autoaid direct anyway! They're also recommended on MSE.

http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/ £38 for a year, and you're covered whatever car you're driving. Think it includes a spouse too.

I've been with them for a few years now and never had a problem with them. Bear in mind though, if you do break down, they send someone local and you pay them, then reclaim from Autoaid. Worked fine for me, takes a week or so to get the money, and sometimes the breakdown co invoices Autoaid direct anyway! They're also recommended on MSE.

I have this and they use local mechanics, very good :good: :good: