Whiskey suggestions?

njc110381

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I've slipped up a bit with my whiskey question. It is indeed whisky I'm after, but as my main watered down drink to start the evening is Jamesons and coke I hope I can be excused the spelling? By the time I get to the good stuff I'm past caring how it's written on the bottle!

I'm not up to the descriptions as yet but I find Jura a bit boring. Almost perfumey but light and lacking what I would consider to be smokey flavour. That's what I like. There are some great names in the suggestions though, some have been suggested for me before too. Thanks for all your help - I never expected this to do three pages!

I'm going to get myself on the whiskey exchange website and see which if any of the suggestions here are available in 5cls. If they are I'll buy up as many different ones as I can and work through them giving them each a mark out of ten on paper before I get too far gone and forget! :ernyha:

Lidl were selling a whisky that normally goes for £100 a bottle for £40, can't recall the name, by the time I got to the store it had all gone, flew off the shelves according to the sales assistant.

Personally another vote for highland park, although several of the glenmorangie range are very drinkable.

Edited by scolopax

Jameson and coke ??? Try it with cranberry :) oh and gentleman jack or makers mark with coke. Pendyrn well worth a go if you have a brains pub nearby they may have it to try and I think they do a sampler set, get some merlyn (welsh baileys) for anyone who likes a baileys.

Jameson and coke ??? Try it with cranberry :) oh and gentleman jack or makers mark with coke. Pendyrn well worth a go if you have a brains pub nearby they may have it to try and I think they do a sampler set, get some merlyn (welsh baileys) for anyone who likes a baileys.

i was told by a local when north of the border if you have to put coke in it it must taste awfull :sick:

i was told by a local when north of the border if you have to put coke in it it must taste awfull :sick:

Aye, when I worked in a bar I refused to put anything other than bells into a whisky with a mixer, would regularly get asked for macallan etc. with coke, I always just out in bells (and charged for bells) and no-one ever questioned. The worst was when people asked for a gaelic coffee with a single malt. By the time the malt was with coffee sugar and cream there was not a chance in hell you could taste the malt propely.

I like whisky and coke. I'm not a big fashion drinker, I drink what I like the taste of (blue lagoon gets me a few looks down the local!). I started off some years ago on Bells and coke but as my taste for whisky developed I went off it. Jamesons is pretty good and I'll lower myself to most house doubles if they're available. The way I see it you shouldn't see it as spoiling a good whisky if it's what you like, and if you do it with naff whisky it doesn't feel quite so shocking either!

The worst thing that ever happened to me was right at the other end of the scale though. We were round at a mates house and at the end of the evening her dad got wind that I liked a decent malt. He wandered off and came back with what looked like a very closely measured 50ml of something (unusual for him) and handed it to me. It tasted absolutely lovely and I asked what it was. His reply... "The contents of that glass cost around £50, do you still want to know?". I decided it was best I didn't, but sometimes I do wish I knew. One day I may splash out and buy a bottle, perhaps for my retirement!

Have you tried 'Highland Park' fae up here in Orkney? I take poured over ice,its between 20 and 30 pound ,for under fifty you'll get 18 year old.

POURED OVER ICE!!!???!!! WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?????

Or do you make your ice cubes out of water drawn straight from that pure and sparkling spring known as the Ratty Burn.......? Mmmm, how's that on the nose, then. A fruity twelve-year-old with hints of almonds, honey - and diesel!?

Feel free to shoot me down but having drunk little but single malts For a few years, I decided to give something else a whirl.

I am currently in love with 15 y/o Cider Brandy from Somerset. Amazing stuff:

http://www.ciderbrandy.co.uk/shop.html

Also stunning is (believe it or not) Tesco's 'Taste the Difference' cognac which, at 18 quid a bottle, tastes better than any other I've tried.

Well going by the list of those you aint so keen on we can miss out anything heavily peated, so most of my favourites are def not worth suggesting lol.

Probably the biggest mainstream whisky I would suggest to you would be The Macallan, always a nice sweetness to it due to the sherry casks they use, most whisky lovers will enjoy it :good:

Another for you to try and get would be from the smallest distillery in Scotland and again got to say this is a smashing malt :good: Its called Edradour and you should pick up their 10yr old for around the 30quid mark. If you aint tried this one then take a chance and order it as its cracking drink :friends:

I would also give a thumbs up for the Oban as others have said as its a lovely malt but has a bit more punch than the two I have suggested above. If you can manage to find yourself a bottle of Rosebank (now closed and getting a bit pricey and harder to find) for your 50quid then grab it with both hands and then come back on here thanking me when youve tried it :good: Its a lowland malt from Camelon and is a really really nice tipple, nowt fancy but smooth as silk and a cracking malt! I have a bit of an addicition for collecting this one and have too many bottles to mention on a forum where my missus might find out about it lol.

I used to say "there are no bad malts, just some I like more than others!" However that was before I tried Ledaig!! YUCK bloody horrible stuff lol.

Right thats all I can manage as I am currently stuck on a dry island and the talk off my favourite drink knowing I cant get a dram for more than a week is driving me daft lol. Good luck and let us know what you go for.

Wullie had some home brewed berry Whisky at the shoot today & I am in the middle of brewing some Bramble Whisky :good: :good: :good: