What 4x4

Jim c

Thinking about getting one primary use for weekend driving and shooting of course. Saves me getting my van stuck on every field I go on lol. I've owned a l200 but have been looking at a defender 90. What do you guys use and how do you get in with it.

Thanks and merry Christmas. Jim

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Own a little suzuki vitara for shooting, I wanted something I can drill a spot lamp hole in the roof of and put wet dogs, people ect in and not have to worry too much.

Plus suzuki's are known for being fantastic off road :good:

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

LR are great but arent cheap readily stolen and can become a whole new hobby want something that starts first time has a working heater and goes shooting comes back and needs very little work go jap, If you want a toy to play with mess around offroad and spend more time fixing than driving then buy a LR unless you have the budget for a new one

I'm a farmer, I take my truck in places it shouldn't really go. I have the attitude that if it gets stuck I will just get a tractor and drag it out.

I want something fairly cheap to buy, needs little maintenance, is reliable and easy to fix if it needs it.

2 door Terrano fits the bill. Currently have a 4 door because I cart workers around with me too.

Only got the tractor to it twice and one of them was up to the hubs in water.

Paid £900 2 years ago and spent nothing on it since

Edited by 39TDS

I hav only had 1 4x4 of my own which lasted me 3weeks due to an old lady pulling out infront of me it was a frontera 2.2, great motor, took it to scotland and back and many short trips aswel, seemed to go well enough and pulled through some very 'damp' fields with the budget end of lifeA/Ts it had on. Have heard many good reviews on them on here and from shooting friends

My brothers mad about l r saying its what I should get.

Love the Defenders, but prefer something with a few more creature comforts for longer distance driving.

Discovery will give you that and all the off road capabilities as well.

If it's purely a shooting wagon you're after I may know of a 3 door 300TDI going fairly cheap. Friend owns it and has been in the family a long time so he knows the car well.

Let me know if it may be of interest and I'll put you in touch.

Cos

hilux all the way iv had my mk5 for about 8 years now its very easy to work if and when it needsanything doing ( springs-brakes-servicing) it has only cost me once to put mot on it. Yer sure iv had it stuck but so did a mate in his LR when he came to pull me out but them who say they have never been stuck dont go off road. But everyone has there own opinion.

But i would rather have something that the heater will deforst the windows and the doors close and you have some room to move when driving it lol.

grand vitara owner here, great motors, go anywhere

big difference Ive noticed between mine, and friends disco, they are permanant 4 wheel drive, and can be a bugga on 3 point turns etc, the vitara has a seperate 4wd gearbox, meaning 2wd on the road, much better and less fuel used

Hi,

Ive had a few 4x4's and driven a few more. Discos are very capable motors on and off road the 300 tdi is best engine wise a real workhorse. the only problem is they should come with a welder in the toolkit. They rot like an early 80's jap car no matter how well they have been looked after they are full of rust traps. if you dod get one of these check everywhere for rust as they can look great from the top and be complete dogs underneath. Diahatsu's are rot boxes to and again check everywhere, electrics are iffy aswell. Engine does pull like a train, the 2.8 diesel that is. Mitsi's if you go down this route id say go down the route of a mk2 pajero over a uk spec shogun. As a pajero and shogun of the same age the chances are that the pajero will be in better condition alot less rot and less miles. Ignore anyone who says parts are dear as there no different to l/r.

My disco fell to bits and that was a 98 300 tdi es with 150,000 on the clock i got fed up with welding it. My current paj is a 93 lwb exceed 93,000 on the clock, no rus,t eveything works and i know no matter what i can go to it and it will start. I use it all over my shoot in wales for feeding, fully loaded never got stuck with it yet. there a good soild all rounder.

No matter what car you are looking at anything old will have some sort of rust issue. best advice is take someone with you who knows cars and specifically the one you are looking at. They will be able to point out problem areas easier to you.

All cars that are 10 - 15 years old will need some work done to them as parts that were fitted from new start to finaly fail, but these are usually easy to change and relativley cheap.

things like suspension, breake pads and discs as well as exhausts will all need changeing over time.

Don't discount any car by general type as there are good and bad examples of all.

I'm lucky my 1995 300tdi has very little rust and passed its last MOT in Novemver with no advisories, although all the above mentioned parts have been changed in the last 12 months.

Have you thought of a nissan Terrano?? I brought my commercial for £1500 about 2 years ago. Ex environment agency with 60k on the clock & full service history! (With BFG All terrains already on it & a tool/gun safe) so far it has been a great shooting truck and Goes where my mates hilux goes. ( get the 2.7 diesel, it's a great engin- that's why they used in London cabs)