Cut throat razors?

haggis

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got one of those however need it really sharp to shave with, found the disposbale one are just as good to use and the shave is the same. If you really want one try taylor of old bond street, the shaving cream is amazing and the razors good, note that most arent shaving sharp when u buy it either so will need some attention.

1 x hone

2x strops

4x pastes

1x razor

1x cream

1x brush

not cheap but relaxing and a better shave.

Go double edge mate.

A little safer and still super cheap compared to regular shaving.

I got a safety razor of deal extreme about £5.

Badger brush from eBay: £5

Taylor's of old Bond street shaving creme plus some blades for about £20 all in.

So £30 all in and enough blades to last a good while and the shave is superb.

I use a shavette cut throat razor with long replaceable blades and its great. The type you refer to take some getting used to honing,and start at about £70.00. If your dead set on straight razor a site in America does second hand ready to shave kits with everything you need.

Mine is a Miraki all stainless steel. Very cheap aswell, have a look online and give it a go.

I use a Edwin Jagger de razor when I don't have the time for the full monty straight razor shave.

Only use Taylor's shave creams no matter what razor I use and a badger brush.

My son has just got his own set up for Christmas after using mine.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

I got given some money for Christmas (£70) and fancy a cut throat razor can anyone recommend one? I would like one that you sharpen any ideas on a good make/tips etc

Haggis

If you turn up next Sunday with plasters all over I promise not to take the **** at all! ;)

My brother, who has all the time in the world, tried CT shaving for a while then realised why the world moved on. Time consuming, scary and you have to keep that edge in top condition if you don't want nicks.

Go double edge, blades are cheap and a good starter is the muhle r89. In fact, it's the only razor you'll ever need. I get all my other bits from nkdman.co.uk excellent service and fast delivery come as standard.

Edited by mick miller

I got a Merkur HD 34C double edged safety razor, nice badger brush and all the consumables for Christmas. I've been shaving with it every day since and it's a revelation :good: I was gifted feather blades which I was concerned would be too hardcore for a beginner but other that a few nicks on my first attempt have been fine. I've ordered a sample pack of other blades to try though. Can't see me going back to my Mach 3 :no:

Safety Razor -- A Merkur and feather blades all the way ,

( and buy a bottle of "witch hazel" from chemist - acts as a cooling disinfectant -- do not digest/consume).

Warm water splash,

Lather , Shave down , re- lather , shave sideways, re- lather , shave upwards,

Splash face off with Cold water - cools the fresh shaven skin,

Splash shaven area with witch hazel ,

Final splash of Cold water ,

Dab gently dry .

Apply spot of after shave cream / balm .

Smooth as a ........ :good:

Guarantee you will nick yourself on one of 1st few attempts till you get the knack.

Remember -- glide the shaver - :good: you dont need to apply pressure or force it.

Works for me anyway :hmm:

Edited by mrwabbits

Cheers for advice I have gone for a Edwin Jagger DE89 with badger/hogs hair brush,as advised Taylor's cream and a bar of alum. Also got some different blades to try out. Think Id need alot more time, money and patience for a cut throat razor.

DIBS- Im sure you find it amusing when I turn up with cuts everywhere.

Edited by haggis

yeah the way modern disposables win over is because the have they lube strip, so when you run over the same area a few times you don't get any burn, try that with the DE and it's likely to give you a rash or a touch of shaving burn, so razor in one hand, badger brush in the other and reapply a quick lick of cream in between passes, DE shaving is so easy and a good shave

Edited by Paul223

Micks right I have only had one or two slight nicks since I started.

The first few times I didn't get any at all and I have quite tough and dense hair.

As suggested just google double edge shaving technique or watch some on YouTube there's an American guy who has some great videos on there.

Ill never go back to rubbish cartridge shaving.

I moved to DE shaving a couple of years ago but had the misfortune of using a mach 3 for a day earlier this month. I'd forgot how much the multi blades drag your skin.

For me its proraso pre shave cream, a decent soap, Vulfix brush, DE89, feather blades and proraso post shave cream

Ive tried other blades but cant find anything to match feathers