Those cheap B&Q / off eBay safes

Mungler

Long story short MIL got burgled yesterday afternoon.

She hasn't much and what she did have she kept in one of those small digital safes that I installed for her. The good news is that they got disturbed whilst getting into the safe (they didn't get it off the wall) but the bad news is that the safe was as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

0_zps6a338c3e.jpg

The scene of crimes bloke reckons they used a decent large flat head screwdriver.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the key version from the Argos looks similar I hope my stands up to more than that looks like its made from monkey metal :(, having another look it has flat joints not surprised they could get something Behind it , all mine are bent so you cannot get anything behind them :)

Edited by delburt0

What do you expect from a £50 hotel type safe ?

Ok I didn't think they'd need dynamite or a degree in engineering but i was hoping for more than a flat head screwdriver and 2 mins of aggression?

It's an eye opener that if you want a proper safe you have to go for the insurance approved ones and they weigh 10 times more and cost 10 times as much.

I was statying in a hotel where one of those safes wouldn't open, possibly flat batteries. They didn't keep the over-ride keys on site so two maintenance men were sent to open it.

They simply smashed all the plastic off the front which allowed them to destroy the electric bits inside the door.

Using only a hammer and a screwdriver they had the door open in about five minutes.

I was statying in a hotel where one of those safes wouldn't open, possibly flat batteries. They didn't keep the over-ride keys on site so two maintenance men were sent to open it.

They simply smashed all the plastic off the front which allowed them to destroy the electric bits inside the door.

Using only a hammer and a screwdriver they had the door open in about five minutes.

Drill the over ride lock out, finger in hole and down and its open in under 45 seconds! I have opened a few of these for people who lost keys when they went flat.

As suggested above! Put the opening side against a wall and either weld a shield on top or bolt one on with pan head bolts. Welding being the best option.

most pro burglars today will carry cordless tools, inc grinders :no:

Edited by Lord Geordie

As I see it its easy to just say that they are no good but just having it will deter some people and if they do have a go at opening it they would have to make a hell of a lot of noise and if you have good neighbors they could well be alerted that something was wrong if they thought that you was not at home.

people say get a good safe well if you have a lot of cash and people now that you have got it the thieves would just as lightly come to your house when you are in and threaten to do anything to you if you do not open it for them.

My option would be to have one of those under floor jobs preferably in a place that was hard to find and let as few people now about it as you can also I think a good idea is to have a cheap fire safe to keep documents photos and the odd bit of cash one would then hop that the bad guys would find this and not look further.

I keep telling people these are rubbish, I see these things hacked open daily in my job. People keep their cabinet keys in them and makes me cringe. Spend hundreds on a good safe, then keep the keys in a rubbish safe!!!

You get what you pay for. They are 40 quid for a reason. Don't put anything in them. Only reason I install them is as a dummy safe with a few hundred quid in, so they think they got it and don't go looking for the real safe with thousands in...

Some theiving scumbag pretty much demolished my kitchen to get at one of those Micky mouse safes. They must've thought they hit jackpot when they saw the safe, trouble is it only had passports and spare car keys in it!

Edited by Medic1281