all this "CHOKE" makarky!?

Reeceknight

Ok so been clay shooting for about a year and all I here is chokes this and chokes that, I know what they do and why they help Etc but what are these "pure gold" chokes in all the magazines, I'm looking in April clay shooting magazine at them and I don't get it? There longer with holes in so the choke stickes out quite alot. Will these actually help? As my bettinsoli has multi choke so why are these different?

help me (or give me a reason to purchase lol)

I presume you mean ported chokes - the biggest con trick since snap caps. I speak as someone who liked the look of them, but found out they are a pain to clean - with no positive side.

Ha ha love this honest answer, i to have fallen for the look of them and was hopping they was amazing enough to make me waste the money.

A choke is a choke, it does what it says on the tin, flush / extended / ported etc, but you need to try them in Your gun to see how it patterns, I've not seen any difference between flush / extended or ported, just pattern it and see what it does. And don't copy choke choice from other people, each gun is different, if i stick a 3/4 choke in my 28 year old Beretta its like shooting a golf ball.

Ported chokes or ported barrels act like cheese graters with wads, they can throw tightish pattern on occasion the ports act a like a pettetrmaster or wad wizard wad retarding choke and can somtimes work to a point, me i run a mile from ported chokes. extended yes ported no!

Edited by B B

To be fair its in my opinion bs, check the pattternr, if its ok leave alone. There will be no miracals here. Infact the only difference I notice apart from a very marginal 5 yards increase in range from none to full choke is a large increase in the difficulty of hitting the target.

The true difference between flush extended and ported is price.

Some will work better in your gun than others as choke is the variance between bore and exit diameters. Not all barrels are the same diameter not all chokes are the same diameter.

I have a beretta tight skeet choke that throws perfect 1/4 patterns in my 682 with Sterling game.

Ok so been clay shooting for about a year and all I here is chokes this and chokes that, I know what they do and why they help Etc but what are these "pure gold" chokes in all the magazines, I'm looking in April clay shooting magazine at them and I don't get it? There longer with holes in so the choke stickes out quite alot. Will these actually help? As my bettinsoli has multi choke so why are these different?

help me (or give me a reason to purchase lol)

This is not clay related but just to explain how things can make a difference…

I don’t shoot clays know but have in the past.

As shooting is good part in the head little things can and do make a difference.

I always shot half and three quarter and set my decoying to 40 yards + and would often hit the first bird but miss the second more times than a little because it was simply to far for consentient kills.

I would use RC Sipe 32 gram 6’s and smash the granny out of my shoulder and the pigeons. I then came down to ¼ and ½ but what I really wanted was a 3/8 choke and was in the process of getting a spare half choke ground out to 3/8. A friend gave me

A 1/4 ported Rhino choke I put it in the top barrel of my 325 Browning.

These days I use ¼ & ¼ extended with 28 gram 7.5 in fibre and my kill ratio is far higher.

TEH

As someone who has spent a lot of money trying different makes and types of choke I'll give you a bit of advice, don't !!

There is not enough difference between them to worry about except flush and extended. Extended chokes have the advantages of being easy to fit/remove and check for tightness and don't need a choke key,just check them between stands.

Extended chokes also protect your barrel/s from damage from knocks.

Ported chokes are ported all the way round,not just on the top,so can have no effect on muzzle flip as the gas comes out all round the choke. They are a pain in the butt to clean.

Save your money.

Vic.

guys guys guys! the op was asking about '' Pure Gold Chokes '' not just general extended ported chokes....i too would like to know if the pure gold chokes make any difference, tighter patterns and also reduced muzzle flip, bearing in mind if i ever do get them i will get them for DTL and use the original beretta optima flush for sporting which i dont take as seriously! i would like to be able to powder the clays at DTL which the pure gold are supposed to be good at!

has anyone used the pure gold ported chokes and if so how did you find them...

This is not clay related but just to explain how things can make a difference…

I don’t shoot clays know but have in the past.

As shooting is good part in the head little things can and do make a difference.

I always shot half and three quarter and set my decoying to 40 yards + and would often hit the first bird but miss the second more times than a little because it was simply to far for consentient kills.

I would use RC Sipe 32 gram 6’s and smash the granny out of my shoulder and the pigeons. I then came down to ¼ and ½ but what I really wanted was a 3/8 choke and was in the process of getting a spare half choke ground out to 3/8. A friend gave me

A 1/4 ported Rhino choke I put it in the top barrel of my 325 Browning.

These days I use ¼ & ¼ extended with 28 gram 7.5 in fibre and my kill ratio is far higher.

TEH

that rc sipe 32 gram 6 was top amo, almost the best ive ever used pal

chokes not worth messing with unless your mr digweed and co i bought my gun slung in 1/4 int he bottom and 1/2 int he top and left it that way ;)

if they are not worth messing with, then why do so many companies make differnt ones????? for example a teague ported choke is totally differnt to a pure gold ported choke!