Alcohol

Pinkella

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All depends on if driving/shooting and if in the mood for a drink

If not driving/shooting and in the mood for a drink I can manage 6-8 bottles of lager and then a70 cl vodka but hate the hangovers so thats not very often

If not really in the mood a couple of bottles and I can be speachless (as in not able to) ha ha

But if driving/shooting which is becoming more often as the kids are now taking an interest I wont touch a drop of the evil stuff

I like a sensible drop of the hard stuff on an eve, and I like a trip down the pub when it suits, but fact is and it goes against all the know all rants of its a "slippery slope" that the older I am getting the less I NEED a drink.

KW

A few beers most evenings, nothing below 5% as i like to feel there's somthing in the liquid. Unfortunately i've developed a liking for single malts too. Just realised i've been doing this for a couple of years since i stopped smoking. Perhaps it's time to slow down but i must admit that i do like to drink. I always wondered why my kids call me 'Father Jack,

all told, including pubs trips with friends, probably one a week? I have a pretty sizeable collection of whisky, but it keeps growing because it takes me so long to finish a bottle! a couple of months back I finally finished my Undergrad graduation bottle. The last shot was to celebrate my friends' wedding, but I got the bottle in 2009 when I got my degree results!

Can't remember when I had a drop, so I might have one tonight :)

I enjoy a drink as and when I feel like enjoying one or two.

If I don't feel like having a drink I don't regardless if I'm in a pub, party,barbecue etc

Like a nice ale but malt whiskey and cognac is my preference,mmmmmm enjoying a nice Remmy Martin now while perusing the forum.

Figgy

Due to the job I don't drink during my working week. On days off I occasionally have a small beer with dinner as I like the taste but I don't drink to unwind or relax in front of the TV (god created biscuits for that purpose ;-) ). If we have visitors I may have a g&t or a single malt.

A bottle of malt or gin will last at least 2 years in our house and I think that is primarily due to evaporation!

subject to prescription medication, quite often have a beer in the evening. More often than not "old speckled hen", but always one of the ones on offer in the local Tesco (!) , which Mrs Sim is kind enough to get in for me :good:

Fond of single Malts too - Glen Ord being my favourite.

Rarely go to the pub now, but an occasional pint of the black stuff goes down pretty well.

i usually have a couple of pints most nights,guinness,newcastle brown or manns brown ale.i also like couple of glass's of whiskey or rum,and if i start on the baileys its not worth putting the bottle away,as it dont take long to sup it.i dont go out drinking much,unless its a funeral,which usually ends up being a good session!

Would you consider an alcoholic as being suitable for a SGC then?

What is an alcoholic? Back in the day in the early 70s I joined the army went out to Germany and drinking was a way of life, I would usually have 3-4 double brandy and cokes on a lunchtime every lunchtime.Some of my mates would have 4-5 pints every lunchtime.Weekends I could easily do a litre of Asbach brandy a day without even trying.A litre of spirits cost about a quid in the naafi shop and everbody I knew kept 2 or 3 crates of beer on the balcony.God we even cleaned the windows with vodka it was cheaper than windowlene. In camp we had vending machines that sold beer.But every morning we did a 3 mile run I played football twice a week and trained once a week. I am now nearly 57 was diagnosed with an enlarged heart, high blood pressure and diabetes two years ago so hardly touch the stuff now.Was it caused by alcohol? Probably.Was I an alcoholic? Definitely not.But by todays standards they would say I had a problem but I was never violent through drink I was never a falling down or staggering all over the place drunk I wasn't even classed as one of the heavy drinkers in our squadron. When I work out how much coke I used to drink on a good session mixed with brandy probably 10 pints of coke on a heavy session probably didn't do me any good either(blood pressure and diabetes).When I go out now I will have the odd pint and that's it but I have enjoyed my life and when it is my time to go I hope to be 100 years old and shot by a jealous husband

Geordie

Would you consider an alcoholic as being suitable for a SGC then?

Alcoholism is a strange beast Mongrel, when I was practicing I've seen people who drink tremendous amounts, but don't score as 'dependent', I've seen people who drink little compared and are completely driven by drink and can't function. I've seen people in very, very high profile jobs, earning 100's of 1000's who are on the soup all the time but are completely competent...functional alcoholics.

The generalised fact that people who drink shouldn't have firearms is based on acute social trends.

My point is, someone could have half a bottle of wine and decide to take the Police on, become nihilistic and do something very silly indeed, others may drip feed themselves with booze and never even have a cognitive thought of doing harm.

The depth of what I'm saying isn't well portrayed by my words, I'm not defending drinkers/substance abusers, but the majority of people who do silly things isn't driven primarily by drink, but the situation they get dumped into starts a unfortunate series of events, which normally ends up with a unbalanced mind/period coupled with alcohol.