Both eyes open when shooting a shotgun?

Monkey Nuts

I have a dominant eye problem. I'm right handed but left eye dominant. If I shoot with both eyes open, I see two sets of barrels with the predominant image seen side-on from the left hand side.

All I need to do is dim my left eye rather than close it altogether. Close it very slightly and immediately the right eye takes over and the side-on double image vanishes and I've got a single image of the bead without losing stereo vision. Takes some practise to do it automatically though, and I reckon a lot of misses in the heat of the moment are down to not dimming that eye. Guess I need to put in more time on the clays till it becomes an automatic reflex.

Was in the same boat always shot rifles

then got into clays etc more I have Left eye dominance issues

Best thing was a friend putting a tiny bit of tape on my glasses on my left glasses lense covering makes my right eye take over I'm now hitting high 46/50 on a 60 bird shoot

Many people shoot one closed and I can but the glasses trick make it a lot easier

My dad has the same and shoots a full cross over stocked Hellis boxlock. Tis' weird to use.

He used to close/squint his left eye, but shot inconsistently. Since he bought the Hellis about 25 years ago, his shooting improved no end.

A dear option though.

I have a dominant eye problem. I'm right handed but left eye dominant. If I shoot with both eyes open, I see two sets of barrels with the predominant image seen side-on from the left hand side.

All I need to do is dim my left eye rather than close it altogether. Close it very slightly and immediately the right eye takes over and the side-on double image vanishes and I've got a single image of the bead without losing stereo vision. Takes some practise to do it automatically though, and I reckon a lot of misses in the heat of the moment are down to not dimming that eye. Guess I need to put in more time on the clays till it becomes an automatic reflex.

My left eye is so dominant with both eyes open i only see out of my left. Even still to shoot a rifle i always close my right eye, but if i do it when i shoot shotgun its miss miss miss. So both eyes open for shotguns, one eye shut for rifles, and its usually about half way through the pheasant day when i realize i have one eye closed when i'm shooting

Anyone use the sight which is designed to help with this?

Yes - Easy Hit bead or similar. I have one and am still trying to see if it works or not. If I try and 'rifle aim' then it works - but seeing as it is a shotgun I should be pointing and swinging - so it is not working too well for me. I will persevere a while longer.