other methods of gun security

lap9387

Hi gents,

as some of you may of seen on another post, i have moved premesis and have my guns in storage with a friend.

however, i dont want to fit a cabinet into a rented property, so:

is there any other options when it comes to gun security?

ie, in a rail like the gun shops, or secured to a joist? or bolted to the wall with a wall plate?

surely someone will be able to keep me right?

thanks,

lap9387

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no legal requirement to have a gun safe. You are required to store it securely. That said, all Police Forces would normally expect you to have a gun safe. The other examples you cite, might be okay with some forces, depending on the security of the property.

Gun shops generally have metal bars over the windows and expensive alarms, so they are hardly a fair comparison.

Because, when I asked the land lord "can I fit a gun cabinet" he said "no".

So I need to find other means of secure storage

Ask him if you can brick the window up in a bedroom and install a steel security door. :lol:

Other than gun clamps which im sure the Police only allow for a singular firearm im not aware of any other approved method.

Any means of safe storage will have to be anchored to the wall exactly the same as a gun cabinet, can't see the difference, a drilled hole is a drilled hole.

Try asking lanlord if u can fit a 'safe' in ur house, by coincedence the 'safe' happens to be long and narrow almost gun shaped. :whistling: I don't think ur landlord is wanting guns stored in his house

buy a safe thats very very heavy ie 4 man lift completely legal and not require bolting down

I dont think it matters how heavy it is , the legal requirement is for it to be bolted to the fabric of the building , he may have four people turn up to rob his house :lol:

I think it was Colin Willock who, when told he needed to get a gun cabinet, challenged the feo to find his guns in the house. After a long search, she conceded defeat. He kept them behind the kick boards in the kitchen!

He still had to get a cabinet though!

If you explained that him saying no might mean you having to move house and him find another tenant? Or maybe it's hard to get rental properties where you are?

Edited by Big Al

I dont think it matters how heavy it is , the legal requirement is for it to be bolted to the fabric of the building , he may have four people turn up to rob his house :lol:

There is no legal requirement as regards the specific type of security you must have. The only requirement is the security condition on your certificate which makes no reference to how you have to do it.

J.

There is no legal requirement as regards the specific type of security you must have. The only requirement is the security condition on your certificate which makes no reference to how you have to do it.

J.

And no doubt when his chief constable, quite understandably, refuses to accept his security arrangements and revokes his license he will be able to use the new BASC legal cover to fund his appeal.

I seem to remember that for a single gun, a gunclamp bolted the wall would suffice, as long as the rest of the house security is up to the job, ie 5 lever locks, and such like

:shaun:

Actually a neighbour has this arrangement, coppers love it but say it the only one in the area. when we first had to lock them up the copper who saw me said he hated the idea as the only guns he ever saw stolen were taken in a safe as the crook likely thought the safe had cash and jewellery in it. A guy I know just had a break in and they got in his safe took two guns and were luckily apprehended at the doorway- big sentences on their way its reckoned. two instances of guns being taken in my own area in last year, I think my arrangements are as good as it gets but we cant discuss that

And no doubt when his chief constable, quite understandably, refuses to accept his security arrangements and revokes his license he will be able to use the new BASC legal cover to fund his appeal.

As long as it's after 1st March 2014 which, I understand, is when the new cover commences.

wrong wrong wrong

my friend is a welder built a safe about 3foot wide 18" deep and over 5foot tall was never bolted and was cleared for fac air and sgc. and was then sold on the bbs few years back by me