Rain Yesterday, Thunder and Hail Today

pigeon controller

Friday's weather was for heavy rain so we decided to give it a miss, 10.30 the phone rang and DB was champing at the bit to get out and as the rain was off and on and very light we decided to go out looking. We found two rape fields with birds actually feeding on the rape but when we asked they both had shoots on today and did not want us to shoot. They both said you you can go in the woods for the roost shoot if you want and as it was getting on we decided the have a go .By this time the rain was getting very heavy and we watched the roost from the road and only a few birds were actually going in so we decided the drive home.

Today we drove off in a different direction as the birds flighting out of one of our big roost woods were all going that way. This wood is owned by a large pension fund and will not allow axcess or shooting but it is a tremendous roost at some times of the year. We followed the flight to old maize stubble field which we have shot before about three or four weeks ago . The birds just sat in the trees round it and the stubble field itself was just like liquid mud as the sheep had been on it. We watched it for about twenty minutes and birds were joining in the trees but not one bird had landed on the field itself. A quick phone call and we had the go ahead, we decide the set up on the grass next to the stubble between three large oak trees which they favour as sitty trees. The grass field itself was realy sticky, we put out twelve thawed decoys on spikes under the end tree and waited. The first bird in went to the tree and was shot subsequent birds did the same and we started to build up the decoy pattern on the grass ,when we had about thirty decoys down they started to fly over the pattern. the wind was very gusty and made for challenging shots but enjoyable . It all started about 14.30 when it went very dark and started to rain and then the wind became very gusty and even blew some of the decoys about then the hail started and it was seven degrees. The thunder was in the distance and came closer and the hail caused a complete whiteout. We stood under the tree with guns in our hands as the lightning was dancing all around us . After the hail the temperature dropped to four degrees.

We were totally soaked through and the pigeon just a big wet mess in the hide and on the field . We packed up and made our way back to the Disco and drove home. After i had dropped DB off the sun came out so when I got back home I laid the birds out on the drive and ask the wife to take a picture much to the amusement of passing people. We ended the day with one hundred and twenty six birds and a total soaking

January2014006_zpsf3c444b5.jpg

Edited by pigeon controller

The man is totally mad of that there is no doubt, but a genius when it comes to shooting pigeons. As a fellow 'anorak' may I remind you that you forgot to tell the enthralled masses what was in the pigeons' crops. My guess is not much rape but plenty of acorns.

Edited by JDog

The man is totally mad of that there is no doubt, but a genius when it comes to shooting pigeons. As a fellow 'anorak' may I remind you that you forgot to tell the enthralled masses what was in the pigeons' crops. My guess is not much rape but plenty of acorns.

As we were shooting next to a maize field they would have had maize in them ? But I did check a few and they were empty.

Re the quote " The man is totally mad" could I have a certificate to prove that for my C.V.

J Dog,

you summed up PC in one word GENIUS when it comes to pigeon shooting, i do alot of pigeon shooting but cannot get no where near the bags that PC gets.

I sit and watch for hours walk them off watch them return, even walked them of again watch them return, decide to set up guess what, dont come back or start to come back then dead.

You have got to take your hat of to them, they are the cream, top bags / shooting all weathers top, top draw.

Well done PC/ DB you to could shoot pigeons for England. cheers Smokey

J Dog,

you summed up PC in one word GENIUS when it comes to pigeon shooting, i do alot of pigeon shooting but cannot get no where near the bags that PC gets.

I sit and watch for hours walk them off watch them return, even walked them of again watch them return, decide to set up guess what, dont come back or start to come back then dead.

You have got to take your hat of to them, they are the cream, top bags / shooting all weathers top, top draw.

Well done PC/ DB you to could shoot pigeons for England. cheers Smokey

Smokey, we are lucky that we've been at it a long time, when you say that they come back is that all the flock or part of it. We work on the theory that you get fifty percent of the flock you see. If half came back your doing it right.

PC

Smokey, we are lucky that we've been at it a long time, when you say that they come back is that all the flock or part of it. We work on the theory that you get fifty percent of the flock you see. If half came back your doing it right.

PC

Bit of both really PC, often if we get the odd bird or too returning we go for it, often ending up with 20/40 odd, which i may add we are pleased with but the bags you get are something else. well done u i say

Got to be admired