no more than 2 shots in a semi auto

diddy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its fair as regards competition but the safety thing makes no great logic, all guns should be checked clear before exiting the stand even if you think you just fired the last. That said there is little harm done if you comply, however have they not considered the brain might still get you stuffing two in the mag without the fingers realising what they are up to - IT STILL NEEDS PROVING CLEAR THEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No gain in safety from that stand point

There are comps/stands on some grounds set up for autos where 3 shots are required, other than that its 2 targets with 2 shots so why would you want to stick 3 up the spout?! I think you would find that it would not be an advantage to load 3 at a time in a flush shoot either!

Anyway, safety first in all things shooting in my book!

GH

I've shot flushes where three was allowed and three I loaded..this usually lasts for one load and then I find I'm loading one or two. Theres just too many targets to take the time for three usually.

I've never loaded three at a sporting clays shoot, (it's against the safety rules where I shoot anyway) and whats the point, although I was accused of it once. The speedload of the Maxus had the guy behind me convinced I had three in it because he never saw me press the side loading button. :-)

Edited by TbirdX

It was only 8 weeks ago at a ground i was shooting at that 2 young lads were sharing a semi auto. The stand consisted of 5 pairs, it transpired that they were loading 3 shots to make reloading easier between pairs. When the second lad had finished, he stepped out of the cage and placed the butt of the gun on his foot whilst holding the barrel, then ........boom, the gun went off in front of his face, nobody was hurt, but that could have turned out very differently. And in the past I stopped a guy who was shooting a semi auto leaving a stand when i grabbed the barrel of his gun and pointed out that it was still loaded, surprise surprise he was loading it with 3 shots as well.

So there is my humble opinion on why you don't load more than 2 cartridges in a semi auto on a clay ground. And yes i shoot a semi auto as well as over and unders.

Be Safe,

Regards,

i put 10 cartridges in my pocket ,load 3 to start ,then 2 every go am left at the end with one to load in the bottom and done.

find it easer that way not having to muck about with the bolt and button .gun is always pointing down the range ,and you no nothing is left at the end because the bolt stays back .but allways check to be on the safe side .

It was only 8 weeks ago at a ground i was shooting at that 2 young lads were sharing a semi auto. The stand consisted of 5 pairs, it transpired that they were loading 3 shots to make reloading easier between pairs. When the second lad had finished, he stepped out of the cage and placed the butt of the gun on his foot whilst holding the barrel, then ........boom, the gun went off in front of his face, nobody was hurt, but that could have turned out very differently. And in the past I stopped a guy who was shooting a semi auto leaving a stand when i grabbed the barrel of his gun and pointed out that it was still loaded, surprise surprise he was loading it with 3 shots as well.

So there is my humble opinion on why you don't load more than 2 cartridges in a semi auto on a clay ground. And yes i shoot a semi auto as well as over and unders.

Be Safe,

Regards,

Well said.

Just keep to ground rules, its not a problem only loading 2.

i put 10 cartridges in my pocket ,load 3 to start ,then 2 every go am left at the end with one to load in the bottom and done.

find it easer that way not having to muck about with the bolt and button .gun is always pointing down the range ,and you no nothing is left at the end because the bolt stays back .but allways check to be on the safe side .

For many reasons this is not a good idea, and against the CPSA and every ground i have ever been to safety rules. Where do you shoot?

Not a good idea, so easy to have 11 shells in your pocket for a start.