A very fine day's pigeon shooting.

JDog

Curtain poles installed, beds erected, boxes cleared away, washing and drying in the machines. The perfect start to my day.

However I need not have worried too much about leaving the house early as I knew that the pea fields were only really being visited by any number of pigeons in the afternoon. There were loads of peas on the surface. Another complication, which I discovered when I went to set up, was that the fields had been sprayed this morning. The smell was pretty awful.

A great wind and bright conditions were perfect and I chose to set up on a gnarled old oak tree in the middle of the field as there were too many restrictions around the perimeter. No rotary, just half a dozen dead birds impaled on spikes constituted the beginnings of the pattern. I was set up and ready to go at 12:30. But this was never going to be easy shooting.

A quiet 30 minutes when I shot two birds was followed by constant shooting for three hours. The wind made them difficult but that is how I like them and in three hours I shot and picked 73 pigeons.

This was a memorable day and the 'score on the door' would be 9/10.

DSC05307.jpg

im crying me eyes out......you lucky jammy devil..................nice one

tell you what ..they look in nice condition

I have rarely seen a bag of pigeons in better condition, not a single scraggy bird amongst them. Their crops were either empty or full of peas.

Edited by JDog

Nice bag jdog

I've been watching the pea fields this wk , and noticed a few hundred on them by thurs ,

So took fri off work , and guess what .

They all ******** off to the Cotswolds .

Sorry to read that. I find with peas that if there are hundreds of pigeons on a field they can clear up all peas on the surface quickly.

Sorry to read that. I find with peas that if there are hundreds of pigeons on a field they can clear up all peas on the surface quickly.

I think with the cotswold soil you may get a little more that does not drill , around my parts I am lucky if I see a pea on the surface , let alone enough to attract pigeon.

Did your farmer have a change of heart as you posted about no peas this year ?

I think with the cotswold soil you may get a little more that does not drill , around my parts I am lucky if I see a pea on the surface , let alone enough to attract pigeon.

Did your farmer have a change of heart as you posted about no peas this year ?

I agree about the soil type affecting the amount of peas on top. Where there were most was around the big old trees in the field where the drill would have been going in circles and spilling peas out.

I hope that PW members do not take this the wrong way but I do not need any more land to shoot over. The peas were on a new farm to me. The owner called me to ask me to do the pigeon control and sent me a pdf with the cropping plans on it. My eyes lit up when I saw three fields coloured in blue with 'peas' written on it.

A tree , what's one of those!

You must be achieving legendary pigeon shooter status to have new farmers contacting you out of the blue.

I had a look at my pea fields today but nothing at all on them , I was a little surprised that despite some having been drilled for over two weeks there is still nothing breaking through .

Great afternoons sport there mate, I'm not too far from you but no one's drilled their peas yet where I am.....be well happy if the numbers you saw turn up here as we had two cracking 80 odd bird days last year on pea drillings, not sure it will be the same this time!

Bet you went away well chuffed :)