Sell me camping with a tent.

Fuddster

Hi All,

I have just a acquired a family sized tent with a view to short trips around the North Yorkshire area during the finer months.

I see the pro's as been out with the family (young kidsx2),possibilty of dogs going as well and lots of activities.

con's include wee buckets,midges and poor weather.

Anybody care to inspire me a little more as I was probably eight when I last camped-I doubt whether I can get a way spending all day sharpening sticks and catapulting now though.

cheers

fuddster

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can recommend Lanefootlane campsite near Keswick in thornwaite

http://www.stayinthornthwaite.co.uk/?c=lanefootfarm&a=index

great place to say has camping but with some mod cons, showers(heated floor), toilets, electricity even for tents

and best thing is you can have a campfire and bbq and take the dogs

so you can sharpen sticks all day long and cook marshmallows

after stay there you will change your mind :)

Edited by maxus77

Hot sweaty and sticky in summer. Wet soggy and damp in rain. As you get older you realize why sleeping on the floor is no longer an option as it takes ages to get up and walk properly again.

The chairs are never really that comfy.

Kids saying dad what's that noise or scratching at the tent.

If it's windy during the night it sounds like someone getting whipped as your tent gets slapped about.

Thems the good points now for the bad.

You sit there in the rain trying to cook something edible for your bored ridgid children and your wet soggy dog looking at others comfy and warm in a nice caravan eating and laughing at something on the tv. Thinking it would not have cost much more for a small caravan.

Your wife looks at you and blames all this misery on your tightness not to go for better accommodation for your dearest doting family, all while thinking ill sort that tightwad later.

Enjoy it.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

I got an airbeam tent can put it up in 2 mins ,use it quite allot in the summer .if the weather for the weekend is going to be good ,just chuck everthing in the van ,kids and the wife and off to sunny dorset.

camping is great but only if the weather is ok ,the kids love it ,the wife not so much as us boys ,but its a weekend away.

prob could not hack it for a week ,but a night or 2 great .fishing bbq sun and beer .

roll on the nice weather ,have not been yet this year .

alright,mixed camps so far-obvious pun.

we've got 2 weeks in a villa in portugal in summer for the main holiday-I'm just thinking a few days for a change of scenery.

whats the worst that can happen?

keep em coming

f.

okay. i'm gonna sell it to you, even if no one else will!

camping is a lot of fun, and with kids it can be even better! decent campsites make a huge difference, but it still has a great sense of adventure about it. Pick one with hot showers, good clean toilets and space to wash up and you're sorted. good for the kids too as they can muck around with other kids on the campsite. Yes it's a pain if things get wet, but with a family tent, it makes it a lot easier, with plenty of room to take off wet stuff and keep it out of the way of dry areas. Plus, everyone's going on about what if it rains - what if it doesn't? I spent 4 days in Snowdonia over last weekend. not a single drop of rain for the whole time. open camp fires, plenty of space to throw a frisbee around and plenty to do, both on and off site, and there's always the fun watching someone panicking after setting fire to his camping chair! :D you get up with the sun, long days playing about, then back to the tent and see what you can cook up on a stove. Get the kids involved in cooking, everyone chips in, then out come the card games and the fooling about as a family, away from the omnipotent TV and domineering smart phones.

The one we were at had options to hire kayaks or canoes on the lake and had ready made open fire baskets and wood to buy.

Llyngwynant Campsite in Snowdonia is the best one i've stayed and keep going back. well set up for the climbers/outdoors people as well as families with kids.

I gave up tents when my back told me "no more"

I bought an old rapido folding caravan. folds down to a neat little trailer 7 foot long by 5 feet wide. about 4 foot tall.

opens out to a 12 foot long by 7 foot wide caravan. Yes a CARAVAN not a tent! all panels are aluminiul that cleverly fold down like an origami project!

Sleeps 4 easy and can add an extra bunk for a child if needed!

camping is a lot of fun, and with kids it can be even better! decent campsites make a huge difference, but it still has a great sense of adventure about it. Pick one with hot showers, good clean toilets and space to wash up and you're sorted. good for the kids too as they can muck around with other kids on the campsite. Yes it's a pain if things get wet, but with a family tent, it makes it a lot easier, with plenty of room to take off wet stuff and keep it out of the way of dry areas. Plus, everyone's going on about what if it rains - what if it doesn't? I spent 4 days in Snowdonia over last weekend. not a single drop of rain for the whole time. open camp fires, plenty of space to throw a frisbee around and plenty to do, both on and off site, and there's always the fun watching someone panicking after setting fire to his camping chair! :D you get up with the sun, long days playing about, then back to the tent and see what you can cook up on a stove. Get the kids involved in cooking, everyone chips in, then out come the card games and the fooling about as a family, away from the omnipotent TV and domineering smart phones.

The one we were at had options to hire kayaks or canoes on the lake and had ready made open fire baskets and wood to buy.

Llyngwynant Campsite in Snowdonia is the best one i've stayed and keep going back. well set up for the climbers/outdoors people as well as families with kids.

Nonsense man, all you need is an electric hook up, fresh water and a chemical disposal point!

Might I introduce you to our tent?

HPIM0644.jpg

Atlantis.

Note the toilet tent. As we only use 2 bedroom pods, the third is for the toilet, the toilet tent is for the shower! The shower is a Redring power shower, basically a pump to a shower head, 2 kettles cold water to two kettles hot water and you have a shower!

Now we have electric hook up so we can run an electric main light in the main living area, we also can run a fridge, halogen oven, electric kettle and toaster. TV, satellite dish (oh yes), Playstation 2 for DVD or game use!

This means you can camp anywhere there is electric hook up, water and CDP, with a toilet, shower and a few luxuries Atlantis is capable of allowing a great holiday. It has 2 skins, an inner and outer, so it is a 3 season tent!

Sell camping to you? With the right set up you can camp on fields near major tourist points from as little as a tenner a night in the height of the season!

Camping done properly is great, and what memories are made of as far as your kids are concerned. It is just good fun.

Downside is that to do it properly you need quite a bit of kit, which takes up a lot of room. Roof box or pickup essential.

Personally I would forget taking the dog/s. That is a major hassle.

I agree get out there and get in the great outdoors, I always go to sites that let you have a fire, tis the law. You have to have a fire when camping,

Atb

Flyyny

Now thats the attitude.

Sold!

cheers f.

http://www.geartogo.co.uk/

Robin Hoods Bay, campsite on the right as you go down into the village and Foss Walks with Falling Foss waterfall nearby.

Cheers-site already recommended by a mate.

thanks

f.