Extension prices

goldypurple

The prices around me are going for less than that and if you own

All your own kit that price is not a bad price

Nothing has moved in the building trade for while

Except people getting greedy as a rule if thumb

The price before the recession around here

Was £1000 m2 and they were good prices

We have a single storey extension on our house (built about 35 years ago) that I've been considering converting to double story, i.e. bedroom & bathroom upstairs.

Local rumour has it that the foundations are not up to taking a second storey. Is this likely to be true? How do I find out?

Brynhaller if it costs you 1500 to 2000k to knock down and clear the site you need to be looking somewhere else for work mate invest in a couple of small diggers and maybe the odd cherry picker and you will be amazed how much you can shave offf your prices and we have lads that have worked for us for 20+ years doing the same things we own all our own tackle vans diggers and every thing else and we do make it pay and keep people happy

We have a single storey extension on our house (built about 35 years ago) that I've been considering converting to double story, i.e. bedroom & bathroom upstairs.

Local rumour has it that the foundations are not up to taking a second storey. Is this likely to be true? How do I find out?

dig a hole on the outside of the extention and see how deep the footings go or retreve the original plans from the council and have a look I think you will find the planning officer will ask you to dig down for him to check anyway

We had one done about 2years ago.

Roughly 3 meters by about 2meters,sloped roof with velux window, French doors on the back and window at the side

Paid roughly 9k for it. The bricks were dear bricks too as they are hard to match .

Grab a spade and find out.

We're about to extend the house, the architect said in passing that it would prevent any nasty surprises if we knew how deep the current founds are and that it would

only take a couple of hours with a spade.

4 Hours later :| I discovered they're 1200mm deep.

Then remembered I have a pick in the garage, I'd struggled through with a fork and spade.

Eejit.

Nial

Down here in the South west, the cost is £1500+ a square mtr for building. it hasn't moved much in the last 5 years.

That is obviously finished and decorated. That's what I've been charging anyway, and I've been self employed for 36 years.

and I've always been lucky enough to have a years worth of work in front of me, so I can't be far out with prices. (but they are all done by a QS)

Grab a spade and find out.

We're about to extend the house, the architect said in passing that it would prevent any nasty surprises if we knew how deep the current founds are and that it would

only take a couple of hours with a spade.

4 Hours later :| I discovered they're 1200mm deep.

Then remembered I have a pick in the garage, I'd struggled through with a fork and spade.

Eejit.

Nial

Nial,show an irishman a fork and spade and ask him to take his pick. LOL. Hows it going mate. baz

We are waiting for a price on 19' x 13' lean to conservatory at the moment, so I'll let you know. I'm having to prices, one excluding moving the manhole and digging and pooring the footing, if they want a fortune for that I'll do it myself.

and the price is £19,500 ,and that doesnt include decorating,flooring or light fittings.

had prices last year there was a 35 grand difference in cheapest to the dearest , I decided to do it my self, covert garage into a bed room ,walk in wardrobe and a bathroom (very big garage) ext was 4.5 metres square this was for a open stair case ,turned the bed room upstairs into a room the en suite into a kitchen, it is for a granny flat ,building control inspected at diff stages and signed it of two weeks back , saved about 30 k and enjoyed doing it ,hard work as I work 10 hour shifts six days a week, the only thing I didn't do was the calor gas as we don't have natural gas ,wot ever you do the only thing I would say is ask the builder to price up separately ,out of ten builders I had pricing the work seven priced it up the stages separately ie ground works ,building ,converting garage ,gas ,electrics joinery

and the price is £19,500 ,and that doesnt include decorating,flooring or light fittings.

pants down and slapped

W e have a single storey extension on our house (built about 35 years ago) that I've been considering converting to double story, i.e. bedroom & bathroom upstairs.

We do these geo-technical investigations for living. A few exploratory hand dug pits are probably required. You need to know not only the foundation design & depth, but also the materials used. A bit of clever engineering number crunching will then give you a 'bearing capacity' of the existing foundations. This can then be used, taking into account what you want to add on top, to determine if your current foundations are adequate or not.... Just dont ask me to work it out, I just do the invoicing & credit control!

Edited by Longchalk

Looking to have a extension done, basically it's a conservatory at the moment not a very nice one which is 3.24m x 2.50m looking to have it done as an extension instead what is the costs? It's only a single story.

Depending very much on the facing brick and roof tile required by planning £10 - 12 k plus Vat.

Or cowboy prices £8 - 9k Cash.

You might be lucky it might come under permitted development but have a word with the council first.

Hope this helps.

Or cowboy prices £8 - 9k Cash.

Hope this helps.

Mine was a touch over 9k and its far from a cowboy job. The building inspector wouldn't have passed it if it was.

It helps that the builder is a dab hand at doing joinery,digging footings,brick laying, etc etc. You can save quite a bit by not involving loads of different trades. And I am in the building game, (plumbing& heating engineer).