SCOTLAND

four-wheel-drive

They will still be UK citizens though - just living in another country. Being a UK citizen offers all sorts of benefits of course, like consular support, and the ability to live and work in any EU country, no need for visas when visiting most countries, etc. Just wondering if Scots who vote yes will put their patriotism above that convenience by renouncing their UK citizenship.

no they wont as they wont be united will they

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok its the Daily Mail but some evidence perhaps of the tactics of Mr Mugabe about the 'Yes' campaign in this mornings edition. Stones through windows showing 'No' symbols etc.

Its down to the Government to be 'just fair' when the Scots decide to go, or, since theres no viable alternative to the Conservative Party, I will vote UKIP.

I have been stunned by the whole thing - just no way to run a country or two.

Kes, I couldnt agree more with your last sentence. I am truly ashamed of the british government who have offered the worst deal for the british people without so much as a nod from the electorate.

At the risk of seeming like I don't know much about the subject (which to be honest, I don't :blush: )

I keep seeing the revenue from 'Scottish' oil being bandied around as the saviour of an independent country.

The oil may be Scottish (or may not), but surely the things that bob around and the drilly things they use to get it up to the surface belong to the UK, which they will no longer be part of.

I haven't seen any mention of rental of this very expensive equipment, nor any plans for what to do if we just say they can't play with our toys at all.

Again, this is assuming the structures belong to the UK

Not long now folks.

I'll be watching this vote more closely than the uk elections in the past.

Tears before bedtime from one side or another for sure.

Now what's a good Irish Welsh or English Malt?

New opening for English Malt maybe, we're beating France at sparkling wine, Malt no problem.

Figgy

hopefully it doesn't; regardless of the outcome Westminster must now realise that how the UK is currently run doesn't work and the whole thing needs modernised across the board.

With regard to national debt; the Scottish government wants to pay its fair share but Westminster said that Scotland wouldn't get their share of UK assests and salmond was saying you cant have it both ways.

The Uk ecomony is the world's 6th biggest, it's the fastest growing in Europe, and the G7.

Un-employment is down, again.

We are going to be much better off sticking together than forcing a split of a mutually beneficial 300 year old union on the basis of

un-costed fantasy projections and a surge of nationalistic pride.

At the risk of seeming like I don't know much about the subject (which to be honest, I don't :blush: )

I keep seeing the revenue from 'Scottish' oil being bandied around as the saviour of an independent country.

The oil may be Scottish (or may not), but surely the things that bob around and the drilly things they use to get it up to the surface belong to the UK, which they will no longer be part of.

I haven't seen any mention of rental of this very expensive equipment, nor any plans for what to do if we just say they can't play with our toys at all.

Again, this is assuming the structures belong to the UK

It's my understanding that "the drilly things" belong to private companies and the revenue comes from taxing the private companies.

Of course my understanding might be completely wrong.

wot will happen to the armed forces, owt will happen to the union jack flag

The Scots will retain all the old named battalions and set up a military museum. The Union flag wont be valid anymore and should feature a dragon more prominently as a result, Dont think NI has a national symbol. We just need Georges Cross. The union flag will end up in a Scottish museum with the motto 'we finally stuffed the English (NI and Wales) and here, together with the redundant flag is the piece of Scotlands nose that was the price to win"

Having listened to hours of debate on this I think the scots deserve independence and if we could only vote down here in lovely England I would be a 'yes' voter.

An elderly friend of my BH's said yesterday, having listened to the debate, she would now not be drinking Scotch!

Quite right - I will think twice before buying anything Scottish. I think the debits have been doing the same for English goods for some time. Perhaps time for some English nationalism and pride?

Having listened to hours of debate on this I think the scots deserve independence and if we could only vote down here in lovely England I would be a 'yes' voter.

An elderly friend of my BH's said yesterday, having listened to the debate, she would now not be drinking Scotch!

Yep I love (as is known on here) a drop of the hard stuff I have even visited many many distilleries and traveled to just about all the Scottish isles (wonder how many bravehearts have done that) but and its a serious but I will be giving Jap whiskey a go should the ungrateful beggers decide as I hope they do to go their own way

KW

wot will happen to the armed forces, owt will happen to the union jack flag

I'd imagine that those Scots currently serving will be retained for the full term of their contracts, unless of course they want to leave. Not sure what would happen with the Royal Regt of Scotland, maybe they would be employed on the same basis as the Ghurkas.

The only exceptions I can see to this are in the various intelligence branches of the military and civil service, since upon separation the Scots will become foreign nationals and will therefore require nationality waivers to be in place for them to be retained. This is not a simple procedure on a case by case basis, so I cant see how it could (or would given the potential political mood post independence) be implemented en masse.

As for the flag, I suppose it would have to change, and I would support that since the remainder of the UK would need to move forward too.

The only exceptions I can see to this are in the various intelligence branches of the military and civil service, since upon separation the Scots will become foreign nationals and will therefore require nationality waivers to be in place for them to be retained. This is not a simple procedure on a case by case basis, so I cant see how it could (or would given the potential political mood post independence) be implemented en masse.

They will be 'foreign nationals' to Scotland i.e. they are foreign citizen in the country they are living in. They will still be British Citizens though. For civil service jobs - those jobs would (or should) come back to the UK. As for military - it is not unheard of to have military bases in other countries, though somehow I doubt the Scots would want this.