hare, what shot size?

So just out of general curiosity how do you dispatch a hare effectively. We don't shoot ground game and to be fair the ones I do see I'd rather see running around but its always good to know.

Walked up Hares will more than likely run FROM you, offering little scope for a one shot clean kill, but on a Hare drive, those Hares that got up were rarely shot by the person spooking them, but rather by someone else in the drive across the other side of the field whom the Hare would be running TO, giving ample opportunity to shoot it up front.

Most wounded Hares on our drives were simply given another swift barrel. Some were taken home if someone fancied jugging them, but the vast majority went for game pies or pet food.

Most we ever shot in one day was 40 odd, which looked rather depressing heaped up in the back of a pick up I must admit. The same land now houses 100's of sheep, so numbers are very low nowadays.

Edited by Scully

i will proberly as usual get shot down ................i went on a hare shoot many moons ago and took with me what i thought were 1oz 1/4 6's.....they turned out to be 1oz 1/4 8's.....and all the hares i shot were stoned dead when i got to them....i was worried that i would have them squealing around me all day....but that never happened....the 8's poleaxed them...........

having said that i still think one of the most effective game/pigeon cartridges is a 28-30gm 7 size.........i think more pellets rather than, less but larger pellets are better......when you are shooting at extended ranges..then i think a larger pellet is needed...

Edited by ditchman

I've shot a few on game days and 32g of 5 bowled them over a treat at around 40 yards.

Eley max game show hate on the box 34g 4 shot iirc.

The screaming like a baby don't bother you after a while. Rabbits some time do same.

For dispatch on hare and rabbits. Method I use is hold back legs in one Hand head in other and stretch till its neck goes.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

This isn't meant to sound smart *** or such like but I have shot thousands of hares. I've been on days when we would kill 400 plus a day.These days were usually well organised. The hare is usually driven to a semi -circle surrounded by guns, some times a dozen.

The guns in this situation are normally very expert so will kill in front. The hare is very easy to kill when it is chest on and running straight at you. The drive is usually made up of walking guns and beaters / walkers. The guns here have a much tougher choice as usually the hare is running away. If you are shooting a running hare going way you should be shooting bigger shot and load. We liked 34g of No 4 through plenty of choke. The main aim was always to drive the hare and the fittest would always run long before they were shot at. The old stock would fall to the walking guns. I have seen some horrific attempts at dispatching wounded hares. If you don't know a best way then a heavy priest to the back of the head behind the ears is swift. Hold the hare high by both back legs and hit him at knee height.

32g of No5 is a good allrounder for shooting Hares.

All the advice above good - use your normal game load but if this is 6 (nothing smaller) then don't let the hare get too far away. Last year on one shoot we had to kill all hare - farmer had a real problem cause by heavily keepered estate nearby and very healthy hare population - and my peg was near a gateway! Yep 6 came through the gap - I shot 4 but just didn't see the last two!! had to have a hand from beaters to carry them, yes they are heavy. On this shoot we take all game away and one of our unpaid beaters was desperate for a couple so the bag all claimed - a good day for everyone.

All the advice above good - use your normal game load but if this is 6 (nothing smaller) then don't let the hare get too far away. Last year on one shoot we had to kill all hare - farmer had a real problem cause by heavily keepered estate nearby and very healthy hare population - and my peg was near a gateway! Yep 6 came through the gap - I shot 4 but just didn't see the last two!! had to have a hand from beaters to carry them, yes they are heavy. On this shoot we take all game away and one of our unpaid beaters was desperate for a couple so the bag all claimed - a good day for everyone.

Thanks for the advice. I will never shoot another hare with 7 shot again.

personally i use 36g/3'sor 4's, but thats my choice. i like to kill in 1 shot up to 40 yeards.

hares are not hard to dispatch and no real strength is required,just technique.

legs in left hand,head in right.tilt the hares head back and push forward,click.done.

oh and dont forget a game bag if your walking.

i shot one about 25 years ago with my first shot of the day using a number 5 shot and that was the last time i put my barrels on a hare because i had to carry it for about 2 hours with no game bag and they are ******g heavy.

It was the first live thing my spaniel ever flushed and i felt i "owed it to her" to shoot it. However, as above, they are very heavy, have an awful lot of blood in them and taste so rich that I reckon i can still taste it now, 3 years later!!