What do they do with the guns from Firearms Amnesty?

camojohn

Many years ago I did a short resettlement stint in a gun shop in a well known shooting county. In walked the police with a pile of shotguns. The owner looked them over and said £500. The police left and the owner quickly made two phone calls saying he didn't want them and had bid low at the £500. Had I known what the hell was going on, I'd have got me credit card out, got he owner to buy them and I'd have happily paid him £600 - there was 2 AYAs each worth more than that and the remainder weren't to be sniffed at. Turned out the first phone call didn't want them either and bid £510 leaving the second, who did, getting the lot for £525.

Many years ago I did a short resettlement stint in a gun shop in a well known shooting county. In walked the police with a pile of shotguns. The owner looked them over and said £500. The police left and the owner quickly made two phone calls saying he didn't want them and had bid low at the £500. Had I known what the hell was going on, I'd have got me credit card out, got he owner to buy them and I'd have happily paid him £600 - there was 2 AYAs each worth more than that and the remainder weren't to be sniffed at. Turned out the first phone call didn't want them either and bid £510 leaving the second, who did, getting the lot for £525.

And as if by magic, Wabbitbosher appears :lol: and they all end up on Gunwash :lol:

I spoke to Herdfordshire constabulary and they don't have any method to transfer Section 1 firearms and shotguns to rfds or to law abiding gun owners. All guns will be destroyed. So I urge everyone not to support this Amnesty and not to hand anything in. :mad:

The police could always just walk into any RFD and hand them in the RFD can then sell them on..... So they do have a mechanism it is in the guidance.

That bull as mate lost his guns temporary for wife leaving him polic picked up his guns had them for about 3 weeks I went and picked them up feo wirten them in my sgc I said do I need to send in transfer notice for them no need I was told I have powers to enter them on your ticket and have completed the process of them before you arrived here at the station

That bull as mate lost his guns temporary for wife leaving him police picked up his guns had them for about 3 weeks I went and picked them up feo wirten them in my sgc I said do I need to send in transfer notice for them no need I was told I have powers to enter them on your ticket and have completed the process of them before you arrived here at the station

Slightly different,

i doubt they would destroy guns seized in that situation. Your friend could have appealed, or may have been given them back after the police finding out there was not an issue, just an angry X Mrs.

it would not look too good if the police put them through the mincer would it ???

Funnily a RFD I know had a box under his bench full of carts all bagged up with police inventory labels... He would get them dropped of when they were in the area or had a load, apperently disposing of them through the waste contractors costs a fortune as they have lead and explosives in..... I dare say he gets asked to collect guns from time to time also.

• 4 weeks later...

The vast majority of guns handed in are air guns and antiques. Many at the junk end of the spectrum. Its just a big PR exercise really although the old amnestys years ago pulled in plenty of war souveneirs and old shotguns.

Do you believe if somebody handed in something tasty, like a Purdey, it would get cut up?