Thermal base layer ?

samboy

Icebreaker merino wool. Lighterweight one is called the 200, heavier is the 260, I think.

Not cheap, but good

This, nothing even comes close. The merino wool wicks away sweat if you're working so you don't get 'soaked' by your own perspiration inside a goretex or similar.

I've worn icebreaker merinos for over the last five years on the mountains in Glencoe / Lochaber during winter and they are the bees knees!

Also worth nothing they don't stink! The man made base layers can really honk even when clean.

Icebreaker merino wool. Lighterweight one is called the 200, heavier is the 260, I think.

Not cheap, but good

This, nothing even comes close. The merino wool wicks away sweat if you're working so you don't get 'soaked' by your own perspiration inside a goretex or similar.

I've worn icebreaker merinos for over the last five years on the mountains in Glencoe / Lochaber during winter and they are the bees knees!

Also worth nothing they don't stink! The man made base layers can really honk even when clean.

Agreed - that's why I suggested them in the first place.

In the dead of winter on our shoot (walk one stand one), I can be wearing a 200 grade Icebreaker with my shooting jacket over the top, and I'm toasty warm for the day. Whether on the peg, when I'm not too cold, or working through the woods, it acts like a thermostat.

Lastly, you can wear one of those every day for a week, and it still doesn't reek (yes, I've done it, but not out of choice). Even if physically active. Try that with man-made fabrics, and see how many days you get out of one before it's ready to walk to the washing machine on its own.

Edited by robbiep

Agree with most comments , if wearing longer that two days go for merino, silk is also fantastic. Helly stuff is good but who is that smelly ******* standing next to you!

I've two sets one for normal activities to keep warm and one for when working harder, lambing in or out at night in the coldest months and the most important factor missed by so many companies is a neck/chest zip for cooling or venting !! Sounds stupid but there comes a time when it's needed and it's a godsend.

John.