Chinese chain saws

harrycatcat1

I am in the market for a small chainsaw so I looked on gumtree and there seems to be a glut of new chinese chainsaws being sold in our area.

"Brand new" "hardly used" etc the prices range between £60 and £110

There are about 6 different adverts for them within 30 miles of me :hmm:

I decided not to buy one.

Would you?

Hcc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My eagle (Chinese) was £90 the same Stihl would be £400 +. It has a carb from the US a 20 inch bar and lots of power.

Its great. I had the last one for 18 months with lots of use until it was nicked.

My son imports them from ali baba for about £45 and they sell on with spares and warranty ( i suspect many are the same with different badges).

If irts for every day use then maybe its worth getting the Stihl but otherwise?

I have a stihl set of garden power multi tools including a pole pruner, they are good but are they that good to warrant the price i am not sure.

My eagle (Chinese) was £90 the same Stihl would be £400 +. It has a carb from the US a 20 inch bar and lots of power.

Its great. I had the last one for 18 months with lots of use until it was nicked.

My son imports them from ali baba for about £45 and they sell on with spares and warranty ( i suspect many are the same with different badges).

I have a stihl set of garden power multi tools including a pole pruner, they are good but are they that good to warrant the price i am not sure.

same in the RC world, I used to pay around £600-800 for a petrol engine for my planes, even a replacement electronic ignition unit was over a ton and had to come from the states, now I can get a better Chinese made engine for around £150-200 and if I need a replacement electronic ignition they are available for about £6 and they are far more reliable.

KW

Edited by kdubya

Yes these have a 20" bar, it would just be my luck if I bought one for it to drop to bits, they are tempting though :blush:

have been using chainsaws for 15 years, have a husky and stihl, my mate purchased a cheap chinese one for home use and asked me to set it up out of the box. quality was poor all over, chain quality poor, i got it running and done a few cuts on some small rowan logs with it with my gear on, dulled the chain really quick, i set the chain to resharpen edge and soft as butter, auto oiler rubbish, hot bar, chain and front guard quickly. personally from a safety point wouldnt buy something like a chainsaw from china as it has the worst record for counterfeit goods and poor quality. how i look at if you can import something into country for around £40-50 mark all told quality is not going to be good.

Stihl have a big factory in Qingdao, located 600 kilometres north of Shanghai, for its chain saw production. Its not where it comes from but how its built and what its made of.

Its usual to import at a maximum of 50% of the sale price.

Buy using a credit card from a UK distributor of volume and if its no good claim refund but my guess would be it will be fine.

I am in the market for a small chainsaw so I looked on gumtree and there seems to be a glut of new chinese chainsaws being sold in our area.

"Brand new" "hardly used" etc the prices range between £60 and £110

There are about 6 different adverts for them within 30 miles of me :hmm:

I decided not to buy one.

Would you?

Hcc

Are they hruskranas?

had a big debate on this very subject 20 months ago when I bought my woodland plot, I bought a chinese import 20" bar chainsaw, on the woodland forum I got torn to bits, so went and bought a 14" husky, but then decieded to run both and do a review a year later, well I can honestly say the import (pet name the widow maker) is still going strong, starts first pull every time, the husky however is still in for repair for the second time, they both got used for cutting the same stuff, if anything the widow maker got used more, and on bigger trees, if and when it needs repair, I'll simply buy another at £80 (price has come down by £10 since first purchase)

Do not touch them, they are not up to the required standard. Stubby ids correct to call his the widow maker. I have only used one which I borrowed from a friend my stihl has only a 15" bar so borrowed his cheap Chinese to cut up a big trunk because it has a 20" bar. After fifteen minutes of running he chain brake handle went all floppy so turned it off straight away. The exhaust was too close to the chain brake handle and melted it so ZERO KCIK-BACK PROTECTION. I held it in the same position until it cooled and got on with the job with my stihl at the end I tested the cheap to see how long it took to melt.... after about 6 minutes of cutting the handle held it position but if you put any force on it, it was bendable.

Steer clear of them................they do work ...but as soon as they go wrong you CANNOT get parts for them....some saws were marketed under JCB....they were fine until they went wrong............get a secondhand sthil....or husky...........i have a 20" bar Ryobi and have had it for several years...it has seen a lot of hard use and all ive done to it is change the clutch bearing and primer bulb and spark plug.........i have been thro several chains as well....

the more you know about simple maintenance of a saw the safer you will be and the longer it will last..........

Do not touch them, they are not up to the required standard. Stubby ids correct to call his the widow maker. I have only used one which I borrowed from a friend my stihl has only a 15" bar so borrowed his cheap Chinese to cut up a big trunk because it has a 20" bar. After fifteen minutes of running he chain brake handle went all floppy so turned it off straight away. The exhaust was too close to the chain brake handle and melted it so ZERO KCIK-BACK PROTECTION. I held it in the same position until it cooled and got on with the job with my stihl at the end I tested the cheap to see how long it took to melt.... after about 6 minutes of cutting the handle held it position but if you put any force on it, it was bendable.

I suppose it's like everything in this life, every item has horror stories, look at the poor old hatsan, they will kill you don't you know!!! quite a few people with horror stories about them, but if you had one, kept it clean and fed it the correct ammo, they worked fine, I'm on my 2nd hatsan and it's an 8 shot and works great

Steer clear of them................they do work ...but as soon as they go wrong you CANNOT get parts for them..

but at such a cheap price, it's easier to buy a new item,

I'd only ever buy husky or stihl, but i'm generally buying the more professional type saws which are worth the money and do last.

I have been told that some of the cheaper husky/stihl saws are not anywhere near the standard u expect from them and u would probably be just as good with a cheaper saw esp for ocassional use.

But make sure u know wot ur looking at in terms of safety features esp ur chain brake and chain catcher (but even ur anti vib bushes) u may get lucky with a cheap chinese copy or u may get unlucky but if it breaks u will just be throwing it away as spares will be non exisitant, just depends how long u get with it

I bought an Efco saw a couple of years back, the MT 3700 and it has been an excellent bit of kit. I think I paid £170 at the time so around about the same as the entry level Stihl or Husky saws.

I guess it is more of a heavy duty home use saw or very light commercial use. The thing that swayed it for me was that I was told that both the entry level Stihl or Husky's were built in China by a contract manufacturer and not part of the same facility that their pro use saws were built in, so you buy the brand name but not the proven quality of their bigger saws. No idea if that is actually true or not, but it sounded plausible.

Edited by grrclark

I bought an Efco saw a couple of years back, the MT 3700 and it has been an excellent bit of kit. I think I paid £170 at the time so around about the same as the entry level Stihl or Husky saws.

I guess it is more of a heavy duty home use saw or very light commercial use. The thing that swayed it for me was that both the entry level Stihl or Husky's were built in China by a contract manufacturer and not part of the same facility that their pro use saws were built in, so you buy the brand name but not the proven quality of their bigger saws. No idea if that is actually true or not, but it sounded plausible.

sounds plausible to me, my 181 went back straightaway because it wasn't oiling.