Traffic Offence ( alledgedly ) advice wanted.

Fisherman Mike

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from experience if it goes to court its the officers word against the lads, and that means the lad WONT win and his costs and any fine will be way above that which he would have received, sad but there you have it.

KW

I am sure many of you have used the M25, that can have all its lanes totally gridlocked so are those outer lane drivers road hogs? The section of M4 the lad was on can be absolutely diabolical and the drivers do use all lanes available. Also in circumstances where you are all flowing along using three lanes doing 70 miles an hour in the outer lanes why does that make you a road hog? Any faster and you are breaking the speed limit anyway. Sometimes flowing is so much better than the person who keeps hopping in and out of the inside lane every other car or van. Just my opinion.

I am sure many of you have used the M25, that can have all its lanes totally gridlocked so are those outer lane drivers road hogs? The section of M4 the lad was on can be absolutely diabolical and the drivers do use all lanes available. Also in circumstances where you are all flowing along using three lanes doing 70 miles an hour in the outer lanes why does that make you a road hog? Any faster and you are breaking the speed limit anyway. Sometimes flowing is so much better than the person who keeps hopping in and out of the inside lane every other car or van. Just my opinion.

I think you have described it perfectly.. You have no option but to go with the flow and at the speed prevalent.

from experience if it goes to court its the officers word against the lads, and that means the lad WONT win and his costs and any fine will be way above that which he would have received, sad but there you have it.

KW

I fear you are right and to be honest it might have done him a bit of good.

I still think the Officer was being a tit though.... perhaps it was the fact that the passenger told him he was training to be a forensic detective.!

There is no way on God's green (er... or tarmac) earth that that section was anything other than pretty busy. It's entirely possible that to drive a fair few miles in one lane and not break the law, because you're constantly overtaking. In fact, if he obeyed 5. Lane discipline (264 to 266) 264, by way of moving in and out of the inside lane every time he overtook, that'd be far more dangerous than sitting at a sensible distance behind the car in front who was also doing the same! The junctions at the business end of the M4 are pretty close together, so there's always traffic in it from people turning off. Traffic cameras would almost certainly prove your son's case. In this instance I'd be very tempted to take it further, because it should be pretty straightforward to prove the business of the M-way and that your son was doing the most sensible thing by not moving in and out of lanes. If your he was not driving unduly slowly (whilst still overtaking), was consistently over taking - without breaking the speed limit - then he shouldn't have been stopped.

It's a bit of a risk, if they find he's been speeding, or doing something else that wasn't picked up by the cop, then you'll have made things worse, but if you trust your son's account, back him on it!

There is no way on God's green (er... or tarmac) earth that that section was anything other than pretty busy. It's entirely possible that to drive a fair few miles in one lane and not break the law, because you're constantly overtaking. In fact, if he obeyed 5. Lane discipline (264 to 266) 264, by way of moving in and out of the inside lane every time he overtook, that'd be far more dangerous than sitting at a sensible distance behind the car in front who was also doing the same! The junctions at the business end of the M4 are pretty close together, so there's always traffic in it from people turning off. Traffic cameras would almost certainly prove your son's case. In this instance I'd be very tempted to take it further, because it should be pretty straightforward to prove the business of the M-way and that your son was doing the most sensible thing by not moving in and out of lanes. If your he was not driving unduly slowly (whilst still overtaking), was consistently over taking - without breaking the speed limit - then he shouldn't have been stopped.

It's a bit of a risk, if they find he's been speeding, or doing something else that wasn't picked up by the cop, then you'll have made things worse, but if you trust your son's account, back him on it!

I think the old adage 'pick your battles' is very poignant here... he is highly unlikely to win in court, will probably end up with more than 3 points and have a considerable fine to pay... just put it down to experience and take the course if offered... There's no nobility in pig headedness!

FM. what does the passenger say, how much did he directly witness hear?

All of it and he's a very sensible young chap too.. he says the office was tailgating them very closely with headlight on, but no blue lights...and that a transit driver had tried to get out of the near side lane but was blocked in by the lads car... He said that was total ******* and in his opinion the Officer was over zealous to say the least and just looking for someone to pull over to get his tally up. There were dozens of cars if not hundreds in the middle lane on the stretch involved..so I tend to think what they are saying is true.

Neither of them are the lippy sort ( unlike me) and the lads actually quite timid.

He going to take the Course He shall however be writing a curt letter to the police asking to view the video recording if one is available, ( as is his right apparently )

My son said he was like the traffic cop with the tazer in Meet the ####ers...." Sir, I need you to remain in the Ve ic ul " :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7r0T_7H6Ko

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Pretty sure the officer can only breath test you if he has reason to believe that you have been drinking, and must state this as the reason for being pulled over or if he can smell alcohol on said persons breath. Used to happen to me all the time returning from work at 3/4 in the morning.

I'd take the course and not let it bother me, clearly a bee in the officers bonnet.

Does the passenger drive?

Its a rum situation, pay now, for the course perhaps swallowing pride at the same time or stand up and potentially pay for the next five years(on insurance)

More and more insurance companies are asking about course attendance nowadays.

my opinion is i actually hate the rule its not practical or logical as regards to F/M post how are you deemed to be hogging the middle lane if your following slowly moving traffic what else are you supposed to do ???

and replying to sians post I totally agree don,t want to be stuck behind lorries, caravans, etc in the slow lane or be weaving in and out of them constantly for hours on end and I don,t want range rovers bmws mercs up me chuff all the time flashing there lights at you in the fast lane so the middle ground is the middle lane