todays top tip

colin lad

Many years ago when I worked in a factory there was a guy working on a big piller drill one day he was drilling something and did not fix it down tightly and was holding it with his hand by the time that someone pushed the emergency stop button his hole arm was wrapped around the drill there was nothing they could do to save it he lost his arm up to his elbow.

When I worked offshore I was often referred to as 'vice-hands', that isn't because I had an amazingly strong grip but rather because I was too pig-****-thick to use a vice or pipe wrench when required, often resulting in some harrowingly painful injuries. On one occasion almost losing a thumb.

You'd think, twenty years later I'd have learnt my lesson, not if the puncture wound in my thumb I'm sporting at the moment is anything to go by.

We all do it Colin, you're really in very good company!

Edited by mick miller

lol i had just finished my nv spotter all the bits fixed to a piece of ally then decided to put a camera handle on the bottom to make it easier to hold at night but rather than take it all to bits and fix ally down to drill i held it in my hand started drill of slow thought it had started to bite so sped it up and well it hadn't bit and wizzed up the ally into palm of my hand,

the funny part was my lad just come down stairs and asked what i was doing so i said how would you like some father to son advise, to which he said, whats that and i said, well it's like this don't try drilling into metal while holding it in your hand, to which he just wet himself,

this happened yesterday and he still taking the wee

colin

Many years ago when I worked in a factory there was a guy working on a big piller drill one day he was drilling something and did not fix it down tightly and was holding it with his hand by the time that someone pushed the emergency stop button his hole arm was wrapped around the drill there was nothing they could do to save it he lost his arm up to his elbow.

I was working with the same type of drill, luckily by the time i hit the red button it was just the cuff of my glove, and the sleeve out of my boiler suit that was spinning around the chuck, any drill that is gear driven takes no prisoners.