Pot holes

bigrob

go onto your local council website. There will be a section to report and make claim online. But before you do, go and take pictures of the pothole with a tape measure placed alogside showing the size and one showing the depth. Take a picture along the road showing where the pothole is.

A friend hit a pothole which activated the airbag in the car! took photos and made a claim online. The next day the hole was repaired!!

When you measure the depth of the hole use a straight edge of any sort which reaches an inch or two past the width of the hole. This,together with a ruler to show the depth will give a fair idea of its dimensions. You also need to know what the intervention depth is which triggers a repair from your particular local authority is. The highways department will be able to tell you this. In West Yorks,if it is over 40mm deep then you may have a claim,but you will still have to prove that the Highways Inspectors did not ask for it to be repaired at one of the Inspection intervals. These vary according to the classification of the highway,from yearly on unclassified roads to 3 monthly on B and C roads or monthly on A roads. I am afraid this is the hunting ground of no win/no fee lawyers so, GOOD LUCK.

When you measure the depth of the hole use a straight edge of any sort which reaches an inch or two past the width of the hole. This,together with a ruler to show the depth will give a fair idea of its dimensions. You also need to know what the intervention depth is which triggers a repair from your particular local authority is. The highways department will be able to tell you this. In West Yorks,if it is over 40mm deep then you may have a claim,but you will still have to prove that the Highways Inspectors did not ask for it to be repaired at one of the Inspection intervals. These vary according to the classification of the highway,from yearly on unclassified roads to 3 monthly on B and C roads or monthly on A roads. I am afraid this is the hunting ground of no win/no fee lawyers so, GOOD LUCK.

A bloke at work hit a pothole and wrecked his tyre and wheel. He tried to claim but he didn't get any recompense out of it because of the above but I dont think that he persued it very mech. He is a bit of a limp rag.

Do they have to put a white line(marker line) around it if they have done an inspection?

Do they have to put a white line(marker line) around it if they have done an inspection?

If they have put a orange /red marker around it in our area its been looked at, and from what I understand little hope of a claim. The authorities here take it on the basis of "well you should have seen it, it was marked" my son in law was informed when he tried to claim.

Edited by deny essex

No, white paint is used to mark a defect,which should be repaired within 5 days. The authority will have a record of the inspection report which will say that either there were no defects on that day,or that a defect was found,marked and photographed and the repair ordered.

+1 I was towing a wooden sailing dinghy and it hit a pothole. It was night time and it was full of water. Bust 2 planks and sprang 2 more!.

Insurance bill was over £1k and because it had already been reported and they could prove this, the council would not pay up.

Yes I did, when I was younger I hit a pot hole in my 206, buckling an alloy wheel obviously ruining the tyre and if also pushed the drive shaft in to the gear box.

Said pothole was on a 60mph stretch and nearly caused me to have a very serious accident.

I claimed off the county council for £800 which was the cost of damage and repairs to my car. They tried to back out of it and offer 50% etc but when threatened with legal action coughed up so its worth chasing.

As said above get a picture of the pothole and independent report on damage to your vehicle then contact the council, don't contact them before doing the above they will fill it in and play ignorant!

I don't really see how putting a non highways agency approved/standardised bit of paint on the floor merits it being an instruction to avoid the pot hole. Temporary signage that would make more sense. Another cop out for them not to pay. Preventative actions to stop vehicle damage would not be a bit of carppy paint on the floor that from instances I have seen around here are missable....unless you walk past them on the school run. I say this as have hit a pot hole at night in the village that was painted it turns out. Air suspension saved the wheel this time.

There's a small T junction by the village pond round here where a week ago workmen spend half a day expertly repairing several pot holes along one lane but completely ignored and left others literally a few feet away along the other lane :hmm: , I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it and they haven't come back yet. Does anyone know why they'd do that ?