is this safe any good? pls help

Tattooed

first up a use a similar safe to the OP as a general lock down place and more than happy with it

as for the video, that was brilliant to watch, next time i get locked out of the car i am off to tesco to buy a bag of spuds to get back it, does it work on the cash point machines or the crown jewlels???

what next potatoe arms certificates

carefull lads thats a marvis piper hes got loaded their

Problem is they look good, until you look at the mechanism.

After an earlier post on this Forum, I took one apart. I could bend the locking mechanism with my hands. The two bolts look very solid, but they are normally attached to a piece wafer thin, pressed steel part.

post-3629-0-70797600-1426116078_thumb.jpg

Guest stevo

I use a similar one to the Op one with a key. But for extra security I fitted it inside my cabinet. So it is also bolted through back of cabinet and into wall.

Edited by stevo

So basically all the safes in hotel rooms are not worth their metal in scrap.

not exactly...

the ones in MOST hotels have an anti bump device installed. if i can find the safe i had to break in to i'll post a pic of how it works.

the cheap ones are very very basic in terms of design. there is a cheap electromagnet that operates when the correct code is put in, in turn lifting a blocking plate and allowing you to turn the knob. the theory is good, but in practice the return spring is far too weak and allows the locking plate to move when the safe is subjected to a bump. a stronger spring cant be used due to the amperage needed to overcome the opposing forces, an amperage that cant be reliably produced by batteries.

the more expensive ones have a stronger return spring to hold the plate in place, and a better electromagnet. no problems with amperage as the majority of them are either 12 or 240 volt. some even have a secondary lock to prevent the locking plate form moving.

The hotel safes are easy to get into once they are off the wall, the backs are tack welded on 14 ish gauge steel. I know this as I watched a bloke chisel ours open to get our passports out!

You can get into anything if you are that determined, even shotgun cabinets all you are going is deterring the opportunist. I have one of those digital safes for extra ammo hidden away in the loft, they are absolutely fine.

Bear in mind a shotgun cabinet is only designed to hold up to thirty minutes with household hand tools......... Mine are good safes, and approved by the feo..... But I reckon a big drill bit and I could be in them pretty quickly, its really to deter an un equipped burglar/casual theif.........or the wife and kids......