Seal shooting in the uk !

Evening all, I was just reading the daily mail online ( I know) and there's an article about culling seals in the uk. Apparently in England you need no special licence to partake, just a gun. Something I'd never heard of.

So has anyone shot seal off here , it would be interesting to see. Here's the link. Not sure how to do links so it might not work. ATB 425

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3028571/Hundreds-seals-secretly-shot-British-coasts.html#article-3028571

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That`s going to be quite a challenge for your retriever.

In Worcester we had a seal in the Severn, ended up as far as Bewdley. I believe it was shot in the end as it was having a feild day killing ducks and fish etc. Left alone for long enough I was told the fresh water would kill it anyway.

Keith?

In Worcester we had a seal in the Severn, ended up as far as Bewdley. I believe it was shot in the end as it was having a feild day killing ducks and fish etc. Left alone for long enough I was told the fresh water would kill it anyway.

Just the one seal?

Come down to the wash, can regularly see 50+!!

Not sure , but I wonder why anyone would want to.

I sort of agree with you but if they are a 'pest' as are pigeons/crows/geese and so on can we morally say I WILL kill these pest's but not THESE pests. Is a pest not a pest regardless of what species it is. I've shot pigeon/crow/pheasant and geese but not sure id fancy a bit of seal decoying ;)

Regardless of ones opinion it's an interesting topic I thought. ATB 425

When u see them chasing salmon up a river or waitin at the mouth in spring for the kelts u soon realise just what a pest they are I for one WD gladly dust a few where I fish tho prob not legal here?........

Edited by millrace

When u see them chasing salmon up a river or waitin at the mouth in spring for the kelts u soon realise just what a pest they are I for one WD gladly dust a few where I fish tho prob not legal here?........

I get what you saying, but I can't really blame a seal for wanting to eat.

A few fishermen do it around here, but its a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of seals that come up in the nets, its crazy that they make such a fuss of this with words like "slaughter" when many thousands of seals, porpoise etc are dragged dead out of the sea as bi-catch every year....but thats fine! apparently...

Same as a pigeon wanting to eat grain or a fox wanting to eat a pheasant.

Personally I would not shoot any of them either, for doing what comes naturally unless absolutely necessary. If a fox for example was eating my chickens then I would consider it, but as I have no chickens I don't have to.

Use to shoot them years ago with a hornet.

Today you need a licence from Natural England.

You will need to show............

(d) Prevention of damage to fisheries.

Include below:

(i) details of damage incurred or expected;

(ii) reasons for regarding it as attributable to seals; and

(iii) details of preventative methods already tried and an explanation as to why you do not consider them sufficient, or an explanation as to why preventative control measures are considered ineffective or impractical

can be said for the humble pigeon ,

Slightly different Stevo , the pigeon is eating a crop paid for by the farmer on land paid for by the farmer , he has paid money for the equipment putting it in the ground and again to take it out of it and the wages of those that use it along with the various fertilizers and sprays that are needed

Being a experienced pigeon shooter you will have seen the absolut devestation a flock of pigeon can do to a crop, not sure if seals are such a problem to fish stocks , but trawlers are harvesting a comodity they have not paid for other than the overheads of buying and running a boat and gear.

Yes slightly different where salmon farming etc is carried out , but as I whole I do not think seals have the impact on fish stocks that pigeons do on crops .

I am not against the culling of seals if they are a huge problem by those they are causing issues for , but I am against someone just having a pop at one " because they can "

Slightly different Stevo , the pigeon is eating a crop paid for by the farmer on land paid for by the farmer , he has paid money for the equipment putting it in the ground and again to take it out of it and the wages of those that use it along with the various fertilizers and sprays that are needed

Being a experienced pigeon shooter you will have seen the absolut devestation a flock of pigeon can do to a crop, not sure if seals are such a problem to fish stocks , but trawlers are harvesting a comodity they have not paid for other than the overheads of buying and running a boat and gear.

Yes slightly different where salmon farming etc is carried out , but as I whole I do not think seals have the impact on fish stocks that pigeons do on crops .

I am not against the culling of seals if they are a huge problem by those they are causing issues for , but I am against someone just having a pop at one " because they can "

I think this is entirely the correct way to view this question.

I endorse this well balanced response.

Cheers,

John

Guest stevo

i know mate , I just had the devil in me for a moment . im bored out of my mind waiting for my video from yesterday to upload to you tube ,