sea sickness tablets

Gonna Shoot a Wabbit

I've not long given up SCUBA diving after 20+ yrs: my diving in UK waters most weekends has ranged from RIB's to large day boats and live a boards in the North Sea. I've been seasick many times and seen many others with it too. It really is a bitch. Horrible at the time (you feel you want to die) and quite debilitating afterwards.

There are numerous propriety medicines. We are all different so each will affect us differently eg some brands make some people feel drowsy but not others. But the one favoured by most divers I know is " Stugeron". If the weather forecast indicated a lumpy sea state I would take two the evening before and one the following morning - read the instructions (too many people take them on the morning in question and the tablets do not always have time to take effect).

If you do get seasick and are not driving afterwards then a good stomach settler is a port and brandy (in the same glass). Walm, calming and comforting.

And, if you want to gauge the sea state use the website "windfinder". It not only gives you the wind strength, but also wave height and other info.

Good luck. Tight lines.

Edited by Bobba

My son takes tablets and they seem to work , best advice I can offer is, no fried food for breakfast, maybe some dry toast, steer clear of drink/curry the night before, on board the boat dont do any close work ie tying rigs etc untangling even baiting up, move with the boat and bend at the knees to keep your head level, keep focused on the horizon. catch plenty of fish to keep occupied and if all else fails sit under a tree.

Archie Fox,

has recommended the best one the small plaster behind the ear is the way to go,the structural engineers on board my boat swear by them although you will need to stick them a couple of hours before you sail,also ginger is great for seasickness either the ginger snap biscuits....!,or the crystallised cubes you can buy from most health food shops.

hope this helps

I don't suffer from it badly so may not be the best to give advice, but keeping your stomach full is a worker for me, and it means you can eat loads for medical reasons :)

Stay in the fresh air, i.e. avoid places where it stinks of diesel, and keep looking at the horizon if your feel a bit wobbly.

Old sailors used to use raw ginger. I have tried qwells. Tosh!

Sea legs, tosh!

Sturgoen or what ever they were called worked.

But I find STANDING. Or laying down works. Standing whilst fishing, or if I am sick, laying down it stops the sickness.

Edited by Lord Geordie

Eat tinned grapefruit for breakfast. It won't stop you being sick but it does taste exactly the same coming up as it did going down.

The only sure-fire prevention is to stand under an oak tree and stay there....

+1 Stugeron

+1 Ginger (crystalised better)

+1 Light brekky

+1 Scopoderm patches (used to need a script for that - worked well but made you a bit fuzzy at times)

+1 Clean air - stay away from diesel fumes etc

+1Try to stay near the centre of the boat

+1 Stay hydrated

+1 Stugeron

+1 Ginger (crystalised better)

+1 Light brekky

+1 Scopoderm patches (used to need a script for that - worked well but made you a bit fuzzy at times)

+1 Clean air - stay away from diesel fumes etc

+1Try to stay near the centre of the boat

+1 Stay hydrated

Scopolomine (or hyosine) is available from a pharmacist now, it does have side effects though.

Simple antihistamines like piriton works too.

Ey up pigeonwatchers,

i am going sea fishing on saturday, the first time for years.

to stave off seasickness on previous trips i used to take kwells and they seemed to work for me.

Is there a better alternative now? any recommendations.

many thanks

GSAW

Sea bands Acupressure wrist bands.

wouldn't go on a boat without them.I was hanging from the night before had a fry up and it was very choppy.I felt great the rest of the lads were ill.

Regards

Mark