Grooms speeches....

Mentalmac

Hi All!

For those on here who have met me (of which there is a few) know that talking is certainly something I am good at (haha it's the opposite I struggle with).

However, for the first time in my life I'm stumped.

I am getting married this Saturday, to my Fiancee who I've been with for 5 years and had a gaggle of kids and pets with.

Her parents are very ill, and as such I refused any monetary help from her father with my only request being he can make it for the day...

My parents have financially helped with some bits but I didn't ask, they put it on me to accept so I did.

I know that during a grooms speech traditionally I am meant to thank the father of the bride and then all the bridesmaids and stuff.... but In my case, there isn't much reason to thank anyone apart from being there (of which I will obviously say to start with) and then I don't want to publicly thank my parents considering I turned down money from her parents - as it would be a bit awkward.

Do you lovely lot think that a bit on thanking people for making it from long distances (have people from each end of the Country coming specially) then maybe just a few more jovial things, and a bit about my bride?

I want to just tell Emma and our guests how happy I am that we met and how much I and our kids appreciate her as she's great and looks lovely in her dress etc... but I also don't want it to be a great sick inducing love fest speech on my other half, as I've sat through some that made the mother in law cry but the rest puke.

Any advice from the masses?

Tell them you are happy to be able to share this day with them...................

i tried to make a speech 35 years ago....my wife put the mockers on that as i was totally and utterly slaughtered.................so im the last one to advise on that.........

Tell them you are happy to be able to share this day with them...................

i tried to make a speech 35 years ago....my wife put the mockers on that as i was totally and utterly slaughtered.................so im the last one to advise on that.........

That thanks Ditchman, that may end up being me to be fair - an easier way than doing a speech!

Well I said on behalf of my wife and I, (and its a pleasure to be able to say that), I then thanked everybody who had reached out the hands of friendship, thanked the family for their support and kindness, toasted the bridesmaids, outlined my relief at speaking before the best man (it was revenge I had been his best man 6yrs previously!) hoped everybody would enjoy the evening, then sat down relaxed and got drunk!

Cheers

Aled

Well I said on behalf of my wife and I, (and its a pleasure to be able to say that), I then thanked everybody who had reached out the hands of friendship, thanked the family for their support and kindness, toasted the bridesmaids, outlined my relief at speaking before the best man (it was revenge I had been his best man 6yrs previously!) hoped everybody would enjoy the evening, then sat down relaxed and got drunk!

Cheers

Aled

Brill, that gives me a nice crux of a speech to work from :-).

It's odd that I just can't think on what to say - It's within my job to talk infront of lots of people, ergh.

Hi All!

For those on here who have met me (of which there is a few) know that talking is certainly something I am good at (haha it's the opposite I struggle with).

I am getting married this Saturday, to my Fiancee who I've been with for 5 years and had a gaggle of kids and pets with.

Her parents are very ill, and as such I refused any monetary help from her father with my only request being he can make it for the day...

My parents have financially helped with some bits but I didn't ask, they put it on me to accept so I did.

I know that during a grooms speech traditionally I am meant to thank the father of the bride and then all the bridesmaids and stuff.... but In my case, there isn't much reason to thank anyone apart from being there (of which I will obviously say to start with) and then I don't want to publicly thank my parents considering I turned down money from her parents - as it would be a bit awkward.

Do you lovely lot think that a bit on thanking people for making it from long distances (have people from each end of the Country coming specially) then maybe just a few more jovial things, and a bit about my bride?

I want to just tell Emma and our guests how happy I am that we met and how much I and our kids appreciate her as she's great and looks lovely in her dress etc... but I also don't want it to be a great sick inducing love fest speech on my other half, as I've sat through some that made the mother in law cry but the rest puke.

Just be yourself ......... or maybe not.

Hi All!

Do the thank you bit but roll it up and leave it a bit "woolly" - no specifics. You could thank your parents for the support they've given you over the years, her parents for making you feel part of the family, and everyone for coming along to share your special day. Something like that, doesn't mention money / finances or anything too specific.

Good luck on the day and your speech - some useful thoughts already.

My observation is on the Best Man's speech. In my long life I have often heard attempted coarse witticisms and smutty innuendos passed off as attempted jokes from someone who is not a natural comedian. Quite embarrassing for most guests. I'm no prude but think such an approach is best avoided. Nail the tinker before it happens and ask him to Keep it light.

Do the thank you bit but roll it up and leave it a bit "woolly" - no specifics. You could thank your parents for the support they've given you over the years, her parents for making you feel part of the family, and everyone for coming along to share your special day. Something like that, doesn't mention money / finances or anything too specific.

thanks for that, this seems a nice way of doing it actually

My advice is don't drink too much. Nothing wrong with merry but drunk isn't so good.

Probably the best day of your life, don't spoil it for you or anybody else by drinking too much. Getting no more than merry will help you to both enjoy and remember your day. Plenty of other days to get wasted.

Hope you have a wonderful day.

Your job is to thank people, in what ever way you feel fit, tell your wife she's great, not much more.

Pad it out by giving out any gifts to the bridesmaids etc.

It's your day, don't wind yourself up, nothing is expected of you.

You can always just end it with a quip, maybe 'It's always said to look at your brides mother, because that's the future, **** me I've messed up here' then give her a quick wink, or some other snappy family orientated smasher.

Good luck, you'll have a great day.

Edited by kyska

My advice is don't drink too much. Nothing wrong with merry but drunk isn't so good.

Probably the best day of your life, don't spoil it for you or anybody else by drinking too much. Getting no more than merry will help you to both enjoy and remember your day. Plenty of other days to get wasted.

Hope you have a wonderful day.

I never had a drink it goes far to fast just like life

I wrote mine the morning of as I wanted it to be about how I felt on the day. Didn't read it word for word

I had a speech wrote out , ripped it up and spoke from the heart when the time came you will be surprised were and wot dribble comes out and how much sence it all makes , just deep breathes and talk

I never had a drink it goes far to fast just like life

And these two.

Got all the speeches done before the meal which allowed us to enjoy it without fretting about speeches after. Didn't give gifts out during as we felt it separated the rest of the group. Gave the dads and ushers initialed cuff links which we gave them the night before during the rehearsal. Bridesmaids got jewellery at the same time. Mums got a rose each called wedding day, that was eight years ago and both plants are still going strong.

As the groom everyone's on your side. It's the best man that has the pressure!

Edited by shalfordninja33