machete

mossy835

I daren't.

I got arrested and given a caution for having a 2.5" penknife whilst camping on a heath.

Apparently I was' in possession of a bladed article in a public place'... On a heath... Camping... At 3 am on a sunday morning...

:ninja:

Thought you could carry a knife with good reason, and up to 3.75" blade as an everyday knife ?

I bought one some years ago through Bush Wear; good solid tool. Mine has the longer blade but feel the shorter one may be more practical.; at least the scabbard wont trail along the ground which mine did after I strapped it to the belt of my son who was much smaller at the time. :yes:

you can indeed but I think it's 3.5" and the blade Can't lock

BASC website has an info page on knives. They state that "the blade must be less than 3" and must not lock". The whole document is worth a read.

Edited by Bobba

Whatever the law, the police can take a different view, my nephew was fishing off the pier, along came 2 officers, looked in his fishing box and told him he would be arrested if he does not take the 3 inch kitchen knife home immediately and never take it fishing again. He said he thought (with a fishing rod in his hand) he had good reason.

They passed the oldies also on the pier but picked on him, I can only guess it was because he is young.

Whatever the law, the police can take a different view, my nephew was fishing off the pier, along came 2 officers, looked in his fishing box and told him he would be arrested if he does not take the 3 inch kitchen knife home immediately and never take it fishing again. He said he thought (with a fishing rod in his hand) he had good reason.

They passed the oldies also on the pier but picked on him, I can only guess it was because he is young.

Or because it was a fixed blade kitchen knife?

Classic case of plod not knowing the law. An older guy would have told them to get stuffed and read up about "good reason" before engaging their mouths.

Classic case of plod not knowing the law. An older guy would have told them to get stuffed and read up about "good reason" before engaging their mouths.

Totally agree. I often carry fixed blade knives suitable for the task I intend to do. When I take the kids up the woods ill take a fixed blade bushcraft knife and teach them how to baton and different ways to cut etc.

I walk down the street with it. If the police want to arrest me then go ahead, but I think I have a valid reason for carrying it.

When I go pike fishing I carry in my rucksack a 4" fixed blade knife for cutting frozen mackerel in half.

Never had any bother so far and if I was stopped it would be interesting to see if they could argue that it wasn't for good reason given the fact it's covered in fish guts!

A splendid example of 'pathetic policing'... if we were struggling to find people breaking the law then i might understand checks like this but there is plenty of violent crime going on so why dont flatfoots like this go and find it.

I daren't.

I got arrested and given a caution for having a 2.5" penknife whilst camping on a heath.

Apparently I was' in possession of a bladed article in a public place'... On a heath... Camping... At 3 am on a sunday morning...

:ninja:

There's more to this surely ? What law did you actually break ?