What got u started?

dob

Started When I was About 10, ..

Air Rifle, Rats, Bottles,Along the Canal toe path..

That was the start, moved on , 18, Shotguns, Today Still Shotguns.

Moved on From Wild-fowling,, Its Now pigeon and Clays::::

So it has been a long road,,, So From Air Rifles to Now 60 Years, and few aches from cold Gutters to Go With it..

Seems Like Only Yesterday..

Granddads 9mm garden gun, clearing birds from the orchards as instructed, magpies top of his list. The gun still surives but sadly grandad is gone. That was some forty yrs ago.

My uncle told me on his last renewal the FEO didint believe he had a 9mm shotgun and wanted to inspect it, he was soon educated as my uncle said with a big grin on his face.

I still shoot this ground but tbh i get more satisfaction from walking on it and sitting and listening to the wildlife than anything.

Mick

It's so long ago I can’t remember exactly. It might have been a progression from my brother and brother in law using a BSA Cadet 177 air rifle shooting down matchsticks or it might have been the smell of a paper sixteen bore cartridge that came out of an old gun that my grandfather had. Or it might have been the fact that I had joined the air cadets and the first time that I went the group went down to the military ranges to fire 303. That was some experience when the first volley was fired. About 8 guns fired at the same time and no earplugs then. The first gun that I had was about this time and it was a Webley deluxe (chequered) bolt action 410 and the first shot was a rabbit. I can remember it like it was now and again the smell of the paper Eley fourlong. I carried it around with me for ages having a sniff of the smell now and again. I bought it off of a mate at school for £10 with a cartridge belt and a parker hale cleaning kit. The gun went in a PX deal when I got my first 12 bore sbs. I’ve still got the belt and kit.

Six years old given a Diana .177 smooth bore air rifle, target shooting to start with using pellets and then darts (reusable). Ten years old given .22 webley falcon air rifle more accurate and longer range. Since the age of sixteen shotguns, crossbows you name I give it a go. Fifty plus and now shooting FAC using .22 rim fire and .303 and .308 centre fire. Still have every rifle used except the .177 Diana (given to a young relative) in total 4 air rifles, 7 shotguns and 3 FAC rifles and a very understanding wife that I always had and used rifles before we meet and until my youngest son was 18 never pushed rifles and guns on them (never used them for many years) but now both my sons belong to same rifle club as me and enjoy the sport as well.

At the age of 5 i had a double barrel pop gun which after cocking, fired corks on the end of a string. The day i ditched the string and corks and loaded with small stones i was hooked.

That's it. I was a deprived child. I was only issued with the single barrel version. yellow stock. the bits of grit got jamed in between the barrel and the plunger piston rod thingy.

Dad had a few guns about. Some were handed in when I was a kiddie - nearly 60 yrs ago so can't recall what they were but he was a former Para - then messing about with shotguns on a mates farm. Ended up on my **** when a double hammer gun discharged both barrels at once. Then dad bought me an air pistol for my 11th birthday. Stupid idea thinking about this many years on. Then he bought me a BSA Meteor. That was it - something which could kill!

These are great stories chaps, lovely to read. Interesting that a lot of you had guns from a very early age.
I had to make do with pretend or my catapult growing up.

I got started when I worked for a pest control firm as a surveyor and wanted to get more involved with the technicians. I brought a Stoeger X20suppressor so I could help with the indoor bird situations in warehouses...

I remember telling my now wife "I'll only need one gun, and don't worry I won't get addicted...." (Knowing I was lying) - at this same time I joined MADARC (Maldon and District Air Rifle Club) and did LOADS of plinking on targets until I was grouping well.

I then was at a large country house when I saw rabbits and squirrels running around and I asked if I could shoot them outside of work and she agreed -

I remember very well my first attempt at stalking rabbits..... wondering why they all run away....

A good few goes later I was managing to get within 25 yards of them, and then missed.... I then repeated and then managed to score a good head shot kill - remember my hands shaking and me feeling amazed, elated, full of adrenaline. I took this rabbit home and then googled what to do with it so I could eat it - and that's how I found PW. I watched a mark gilchrist video on how to skin and cook then I was googling more about shooting and found here.

Now I have HMR, Sec 1 air rifle, 12 ft lb air rifle and 3 shotguns...

Dad ran his own range in central Scotland. Used to take me down and chase me with his stapler for the targets. Then I got to shoot a bit and finally out on the ground after rabbits. Took my first rabbit with a 10/22 ruger, still in love with the gun to this day. Although I prefer the CZ 452 a bit more now.

When I was 9, we moved into a new house with some land, so my dad wanted an airgun, and he bought an issue of Airgun World to pick from. Just reading that got me started, and then I found my uncle's old Webley Hawk Mk.3 at my grandma's house, so I started banging at tin cans in her back garden, and was hooked instantly, and eventually saved my money for a SMK break barrel pistol (£25 was a lot of money when you were 9 :D). My dad eventually settled on a Weihrauch HW97K, and a few years later, when I was 13 I got a BSA Lightning Tactical XL. By 15 I'd saved enough for an Air Arms S410, and I was obsessed with shooting for about a year, before girls and going out took my focus away (as you do :D). I decided to get back into it, and apply for an SGC and FAC aged 20, so fast forward a few years and here I am. Last year I fancied a plinking rifle, so treat myself to a Weihrauch HW98 .177, and love it to bits! It's like being 10 again :D. I don't go out as much as I used to, and use shooting more as a functional thing for pest control, rather than as a hobby.