Ugly accents

amateur

I am from penzance and had the shock of my life when I moved to north Derbyshire. Thought everyone was called 'R'.

R lass,R bob R great auntie Mildred. And everyone thinks I am some kind of waterfowl because they called me duck!

when i lived in Cornwall seem to remember "part" and "me-ansome" or most common "u"

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

surely as Birmingham is the centre of England then it must be an amalgamation of all accents and is the one true and sweet English accent that one and all should aspire too

Yes, it's what Shakespeare would have sounded like, and Southeners 500 years ago. It's the nearest accent to much older English. Edited by Pothunter

I find it hard to distinguish the accents from the people. Brummies are the best people in England, and say some of the most drily funny things. So I find it hard to hate the accent, even though I quite understand why people do.

Whereas objectively I think Scouse is actually a great accent, it's just the constant pleased-with-themselves whingeing and whining that's so irritating. You could see how, by association, it would make you hate the accent, if all you ever hear in that accent is smug whining.

Whereas I think Brummies are truly cracking people with an objectively bad accent. (And voices vary regionally, as well as accents: the Brummie voice being distressingly high pitched and nasal).

I love the fact that in this country you can travel 10 miles and the accent changes.

I find it hard to distinguish the accents from the people. Brummies are the best people in England, and say some of the most drily funny things. So I find it hard to hate the accent, even though I quite understand why people do.

Whereas objectively I think Scouse is actually a great accent, it's just the constant pleased-with-themselves whingeing and whining that's so irritating. You could see how, by association, it would make you hate the accent, if all you ever hear in that accent is smug whining.

Whereas I think Brummies are truly cracking people with an objectively bad accent. (And voices vary regionally, as well as accents: the Brummie voice being distressingly high pitched and nasal).

I am significantly brummier than yow! :lol:

Was that Harry Enfield?

I also worked with a Yam Yam

Edited by keg

Hmmm, not sure that`s true. At the very least the Yorkshire dialect could make the same claim as many of it`s words have their origins in Old English and Old Norse.

I'm no expert, but I think it's a pretty standard view among sociolinguist academics. Ie that the closest modern accent to what standard English would have sounded like in Shakespeare's time is a Brummie/West Midlands accent.

Edited by Pothunter

I'm no expert, but I think it's a pretty standard view among sociolinguist academics. Ie that the closest modern accent to what standard English would have sounded like in Shakespeare's time is a Brummie/West Midlands accent.

At the risk of arguing with myself, a bit of reading reveals there to be no consensus at all.

Im a Londoner born and bred but the real east london cockneys got on my nerves. Mind you, they are a dying breed, the back of the throat Old German Anglo Saxon has been replaced by Essex gob***** chav now.

Liverpool takes some beating. Not everyone, just the ones that talk like Steve Gerrard. Geordie I love!

Strange thing is .... T

It reeeel lite doe bruv.

Scouse.

Brum/West Midlands.

Souf Essex.

Norn Irish.

The incessant whine of a scouser in full flow...it's like fingernails on a blackboard.

The Northern Irish accent comes in close behind.

The worst however has got to be MLE (multi cultural London English)...innit. :ermm:

It's interesting that mention was made of advertisers using voice actors with certain accents because they were perceived as being more trustworty.

I've always wondered about this as I honestly don't find any accent reassures me simply by virtue of what it is.

The one exception would be factual information being spoken in a clear received pronunciation accent, presumably because of being brought up in the days of high quality documentaries invariably voiced over in such an accent.