Losing Stuff in the field!

Marksman1997

Just wondering since it seems to happen to me quite alot and hopefully will make me feel better.

What is the worst thing you have managed to lose when hunting.

I had lost a Magazine for Ruger and Rangefinder in one night.

But managed to find them after over a hour of searching.

Recently i lost a speaker for a fox caller that i did not recover.

Or maybe you have never lost a thing???

Some years ago whilst fighting geese at morning flight over 130 miles from home the hammer retaining screw must have come loose and I lost it and the right hammer off a circa 1880's J & W Tolley double 8 bore in some long tussocks grass on the bank of a water filled drainage ditch, I searched and searched (fingertip!) for it.....to no avail....gutted!!! I drove home very very dejected! However a local guy I was in contact with went back later with a metal detector.......found it and posted it back to me! I knew I would have a problem obtaining a matching hammer and any replacement would have ruined the guns originality...........needless to say, I sent him my sincere thanks.......and a substantial reward.

I have often left behind knives as I tend to hang them on a fence by the gut hook while putting the rabbit in my bag before wiping my hands on the grass. Fortunately I always remember where I left them when I get back to the vehicle, although the walk back to collect it is annoying!

I did however lose a very good Buck sheath knife while out shooting bunnies one night. I didn't have a belt on so put the knife in my jacket pocket and without even using it managed to lose it somewhere during the day. Very annoying; wasn't a cheap knife.

Got home and was cleaning it when I noticed that the gold oval was missing from the Churchill. Fortunately, I'd been doing a pattern check so hadn't wandered about too much. Went back and after a whole afternoon searching through some 18" high rough, I saw what looked like a small autumn reddish leaf. Picked it up and bingo! - it had fallen polished face down.

Lost my keys for the range rover out walking the dog so had to use the spare but being lazy never got a replacement then at a game shoot last year lost that one and was stranded in a field car open and no spare at home.

Had to have it recovered then got a auto locksmith make a key from scratch over £500 to get it sorted.

Thinking about it I still never got a spare incase it happens again

Lost my keys for the range rover out walking the dog so had to use the spare but being lazy never got a replacement then at a game shoot last year lost that one and was stranded in a field car open and no spare at home.

Had to have it recovered then got a auto locksmith make a key from scratch over £500 to get it sorted.

Thinking about it I still never got a spare incase it happens again

I had similar with my old motor, out kayaking for mackeral and key lost in 60ft of water about a mile off shore. Had to get RAC to recover to home as had dad go round and couldn't find spare key.

Ever since I have always had a non-ignition spare key for my car that I carry with me which operates the door lock and leave the ignition key locked in the car safe. If worst happens, just need to get in by door.

oh boy...decoys/cradles/coat/flask and once managed to 'bounce' my cartridge bag out back of landy and spread @ 180 cartridges over 50 yards of wet soggy clay/stubble.......

Only 50 yds of spread? You were lucky. My shooting buddy Patg had a hole in his jacket pocket and lost 25 cartridges. All very well but it was that day we had decided to walk the whole perimeter of our large permission! He found every one. Notice I said "he"! I took the shortcut back to the vehicles. Well to many cooks spoil the broth! We have somewhere mislaid a camo net. Never found it so it is clearly doing its job........

I use seafishing lumibeads and fluro beads on my lanyards for whistle, calls, nv vision, binos etc and put a blob of uv or fluro paint on things like mags, makes them so much easier to find in dark with uv torch.

Also have tritium markers on car keys.

Your a Genius! Just order UV clear Orange paint and protective top coat and a UV torch! Hoping it will save me money in the long run!

Mate of mine lost his favourite hunting knife while out on a shoot. I lost his Rayburn sunglasses in a hedge a few years later. We are still talking lol

I lost my Iphone 4 while out on a shoot a couple of years ago. Went back over the field I thought I had lost it in and no joy, couldn't hit a thing for the rest of the day as I was too angry at loosing it.

Edited by Jbob