why is English rugby disliked?

eddoakley

What a lot of tosh written on here And Gatland and the traitor Edwards are not arrogant? They are more so than the England Managment team. Are the England players more arrogant than the Kiwis or Saffa's? Please!!

And the view that Wales snook the win was the simple fact that they came from behind and won by a small margin. But win they did.

You just have to find reasons to hate us. We dont care.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like rugby although my sports career was pretty much Ice Hockey and ju-jitsu..well done Wales i'm English but a win is a win :) Football is something designed to keep sun reading minions occupied and distracted from things more important.(not that the majority would have the intellect).

I think it's true to say most Welsh / Irish / Scotish supporters will support two teams, their own and any team opposing England....

Why? Shall we say cultural differences may be

You see, that`s what I don`t get. If any of the home nations is playing any foreign team I`ll cheer for them, be it Wales, Scotland or Ireland. But you guys would rather see anyone win other than England. Cultural differences? Hmmm, maybe. Just looks like a chip on the shoulder to me.

You see, that`s what I don`t get. If any of the home nations is playing any foreign team I`ll cheer for them, be it Wales, Scotland or Ireland. But you guys would rather see anyone win other than England. Cultural differences? Hmmm, maybe. Just looks like a chip on the shoulder to me.

It's not a chip on shoulder, it's a dislike caused over no time by many factors including biased and arrogant commentators, BBC news coverage, my sister in law, guscott and carling. The media whip you lot into a frenzy believing you'll win whatever it is before the competition even begins and the rest of us are perceived as wee diddy countries. Us wee diddy's stick together (as we have for hundreds of years) and will you's to get gubbed. Its nothing personal against the ordinary Englishman just a stance against the perceived establishment.

It's not a chip on shoulder, it's a dislike caused over no time by many factors including biased and arrogant commentators, BBC news coverage, my sister in law, guscott and carling. The media whip you lot into a frenzy believing you'll win whatever it is before the competition even begins and the rest of us are perceived as wee diddy countries. Us wee diddy's stick together (as we have for hundreds of years) and will you's to get gubbed. Its nothing personal against the ordinary Englishman just a stance against the perceived establishment.

That is pretty much a dictionary definition of a chip on the shoulder.

How about a poll,? who do you all hate, Americans, Australians,Kiwis,S.Africans , French, Irish, English, Scottish, Welsh. Germans, All other Europeans, Middle east residents, eastern Europeans, Indian, Pakistani, any Immigrant, Others apoligise to anyone I've left out it isnt personal

Edited by islandgun

As has been said previously I'm afraid it's the arrogance shown at every turn by the English team, and the hype given by the media at every stage. If you believe the hype England have won before turning up, and if they do win we the news is everywhere, on every front page for days..!

As for sneak in the win, as I see there was one try a piece and the rest were penalty kicks through indiscretions on each side (except for the one drop goal). But tactically England go the last phase of play wrong thinking they could drive the ball across the try line from a put in to the front of the line out. But Wales turned out to prevent that with a last big push, which I don't suppose England expected after dominating this part of play for much of the game. Englan too greedy should have gone for the draw, but another display of arrogance..!

What I would say is all the arrogance and hype do make for a good build up to the game and make it even sweeter when Wales win. I dare say England are now busy trying to put the wheels back on those chariots...! ...:)

Edited by KPV4

As has been said previously I'm afraid it's the arrogance shown at every turn by the English team, and the hype given by the media at every stage. If you believe the hype England have won before turning up, and if they do win we the news is everywhere, on every front page for days..!

As for sneak in the win, as I see there was one try a piece and the rest were penalty kicks through indiscretions on each side (except for the one drop goal). But tactically England go the last phase of play wrong thinking they could drive the ball across the try line from a put in to the front of the line out. But Wales turned out to prevent that with a last big push, which I don't suppose England expected after dominating this part of play for much of the game. Englan too greedy should have gone for the draw, but another display of arrogance..!

What I would say is all the arrogance and hype do make for a good build up to the game and make it even sweeter when Wales win. I dare say England are now busy trying to put the wheels back on those chariots...! ...:)

So Japan were arrogant for going for the try against South Africa? Of course they weren't they went for a win and for them it paid off. They were applauded for it. If England had gone for the penalty and failed you would have claimed they lacked bottle. If they had got the penalty you would have said they played safe. Arrogance doesn't come into it.

this arrogance thing does make me laugh.......it was always going to be a good close match and it was.For a rugby match it is rare to see the dominant pack lose but can and does happen,Mike Ford summed it up In England picked a team and strategy 'not to lose'....those turgid tactics kept Wales in the game and when any team is still in it a momentum swing is all that is needed...and for me the pre determined Subs and 'building a brick wall' in mid field prevented England from finishing Wales off.I have since watched the game again and the 1st half started with 2 daft cheap penalties,but was basically 38 minutes of total domination by English forwards and poor kicking from hand by Wales how the scoreline was so close is a big question for England to answer.Wynn-Jones/Warburton were bodies on the line for the cause and Dan Biggar defended and goal kicked superbly.This England team are good,BUT they have no killer instinct and are 1 dimensional tactic wise...England only looked good with the ball when the Welsh kicked it to the back 3!!.....I cannot Wales getting far and unless england start playing positive rugby nor will they.

Well done Wales it was an immense win based on trench warfare and on the backfoot.....but fro them to get anywhere they need better quality ball,better kicking from hand and to get the likes of Big George running with the ball........I hope they do I shall never forget the year they lost to France when they were the best team in the world and deserved to win the RWC......but on the evidence of this last game neither team will get anywhere.! Now Scotland....at least they are playing attractive rugby and I for one cant wait for Scotland v South Africa............

No chip on the shoulder, defiantly cultural differences

In short the Celtic nations tend to stand together, this doesn't just go for Rugby, its hard to explain because as an English man you would never be made to feel the same.

It's like being in a family of four brothers where your parents constantly bang on about how great the oldest biggest one is at sport.

The other three will always support the "underdog" when one of them is playing against the older one, but will all support each other when playing someone else.

Also being Irish I usually support the underdog (unless they're playing Ireland and also Scotland now).

So Japan were arrogant for going for the try against South Africa? Of course they weren't they went for a win and for them it paid off. They were applauded for it. If England had gone for the penalty and failed you would have claimed they lacked bottle. If they had got the penalty you would have said they played safe. Arrogance doesn't come into it.

With you all the way.

I've never understood the rivalry that needs to go deeper than good natured banter. I have the same respect for them and their fine fighting forces who served and continue to serve in the British army as I do the Gurkhas the Sikhs etc etc. when the chips are down they stand together and fall together. I'd rather have a Welsh man to my left and a Scot to my right than the yanks behind me

I've never understood the rivalry that needs to go deeper than good natured banter. I have the same respect for them and their fine fighting forces who served and continue to serve in the British army as I do the Gurkhas the Sikhs etc etc. when the chips are down they stand together and fall together. I'd rather have a Welsh man to my left and a Scot to my right than the yanks behind me

:good:

Not quite true only British when he is winning, after any defeat he suddenly becomes scottish again

No, hes odious :) Win or lose he's very definitely scottish (& you're welcome to him)

I personally find Rugby Union an elitist sport especially in England although Scotland is not much better, the game itself is quite a long drawn out affair with something like only 40% of the game actually in play and then its stuck in a corner the rest of the time the ball is dead.

why do people dislike the English i don't think its unique to Rugby any sport the other home nations would want to beat England could be football or conkers

take it you're not a fan of football either then.............