Are beretta/browning worth it

cueball

I am looking at selling my sxs to fund a new/good condition sh over under. I have had it for years and really only clung to it for sentimental reasons. Fact is it doesn't fit me anymore and I struggle to consistently shoot with it.

I have been looking around and I am looking at a spending 1200ish. But I question the overall value of beretta, browning and most of the other mainstream makes as I think they are just out for profit while trading on big advertising and past fame. So I have looked around and some of the smaller companies from Turkey, Spain and Italy seam to give a lot more value for money. The only thing making me second guess myself is I think I will struggle to obtain spares in years to come with a smaller company, (I don't change my guns often and stick with what works)

So what say the pw community, stay mainstream because they are worth it or give the little guy a chance.

I went Beretta, partly because of what you've said. The fact that they carry full spares for my A391 (1999 vintage) and you can order direct saving a bundle in some cases on UK dealers costs speaks volumes. The 686 is one of the better shotguns I've used too, and for the money, you'd be hard pushed to better one...different? yes, better? no, I doubt it. Used Mirokus also excellent buys generally if you can get on with their chunkier styling and handling, although they do some very fine game guns. They seem to go on forever! There are some concerns with the longevity of things like the striker mechanisms on some of the smaller (albeit older) Spanish boxlocks, so safer to stick with a known and respected brand. Mind you, there's nowt wrong with some of the recent budget offerings from Lincoln, Yildiz, and Baikal. I shot a Lincoln for many years and it was reliable and very well made. Best advice I can offer is buy a respected make on what fits you best, and one that you think you'll get on with but perhaps avoid little lesser well known budget brands unless you have knowledge of dealer back up, reliability etc.

You want to part with your sxs as it does not fit yet your main concern about buying another seems to be value for money.If you want value buy a baikal if you want to hit clays consistently then buy what fits.At twelve hundred I think you will find plenty to choose from.As for the bigger brands playing on past success have a look at who is winning all the top competitions and with what they are in fact still winning with . The top brands are not so because they give you a nice bag to carry it home in.

Edited by bostonmick

Said this before, I bought a brand new Bettinsoli diamond. Looked lovely but had a load of little niggles,like sticking top lever, double discharge, inconsistent ejection and a self splitting forend. This gave me the impression it wasn't going to be going strong in 30yrs time (not like my dad's ancient laurona!)

I sold it, paid £100 extra and got a mint 2nd hand miroku mk70. Totally different gun, no rough edges, feels solid, easy spares and repairs and it shuts with a clunk, not a clang. Fits me well and I shoot well with it

Fit will always be my first priority. Yes I am looking for quality but looking at some of the beretta and browning entry guns the wood looks like it's off an old baikal and I think that is what is making me question their value. I think I will be going down the sh route and look for something a little better than I could afford to buy new from one of the mainstream makes so I can get parts in years to come

I'm can't comment on the quality of new Berettas because I've had my 1987 vintage 682 Supersport since 1998 and done everything with it, ridiculous number of rounds through it and at times only very basic cleaning (but injectors out and better cleaning a few times too). It just continues to be ultra reliable, barely loosening over that time, barrels still mirrored chrome on the bores and most of all it is like an extension of my body now. Paid £750 in 1998, would probably get that or close back for it now. Having bought sxs, semi-auto and small gauge guns since it is still the Beretta that I choose 90% of the time. Go Browning or Miroku if they fit better and don't rule out some of the older models if they have just been sat in a cabinet, they don't fall apart with age.

Fit will always be my first priority. Yes I am looking for quality but looking at some of the beretta and browning entry guns the wood looks like it's off an old baikal and I think that is what is making me question their value. I think I will be going down the sh route and look for something a little better than I could afford to buy new from one of the mainstream makes so I can get parts in years to come

For the money you`re looking at spending you could probably buy a nice s/h grade 3 MK38 or MK70 if you shop around. Throw in another £300-£400 and you could walk away with a grade 5.

Shotguns are not rocket science and this is proven by the vast numbers of 1920 plus year old guns still in use today and most were made with quite basic workshop facilities, poorer metal and average workers

So with modern guns made with CNC machines I think its fair to say that nearly all modern guns will easily see out a lifetime of use

Its very natural for shooters to want more expensive guns just like most people go for middle of the road cars rather than cheaper ones but it can be very subjective to say it shoots better

One thing is very true the larger makers guns do seem to hold their prices well, but also true they often have the biggest price increases on new guns each year

Marketing is a very powerful thing that does favor the large companies over the small ones in all companies around the world in any industry. The hard thing is totrust you own judgement and a bit of luck always helps

Ps

Dont always believe German car adverts

Yes, as others have stated fit over cost is the only way. BUT, if any gun requires major stock work to get it to fit you (or anyone) then resale is limited. It means added expenditure to its new owner.

I have found both with my Browning's, which are stock factory models, and when handling Berettas is that they fit me out of the box. And with my latest purchase, a Maxus, although it was near perfect fit it came with shims to allow me to just tweak it slightly.

Edited by B25Modelman

theres lot of reasons to buy or avoid any gun brand, after two semii's that one didnt work the other i didnt get on with i went for an A400 extreme as it would handle 42gramm and 28gramm loads with ease, easy to clean, with long term ownership in mind the parts availability etc... it ticked all my boxes apart from one, the cost.. not being in a very well paid job it cost me a couple of months wages so the decision was a huge one but its one that i havent for one second regretted, yes a cheaper gun may have done what i wanted or i could have bought two guns to suit my purposes and still save money burt the A400 is my go to gun. i rarely use any others now

since buying my A400 i have been turned on my thoughts on spending that little bit more and have bought a used beretta trap gun and used browning sporter

Edited by kiffy

I am looking at selling my sxs to fund a new/good condition sh over under. I have had it for years and really only clung to it for sentimental reasons. Fact is it doesn't fit me anymore and I struggle to consistently shoot with it.

I have been looking around and I am looking at a spending 1200ish. But I question the overall value of beretta, browning and most of the other mainstream makes as I think they are just out for profit while trading on big advertising and past fame. So I have looked around and some of the smaller companies from Turkey, Spain and Italy seam to give a lot more value for money. The only thing making me second guess myself is I think I will struggle to obtain spares in years to come with a smaller company, (I don't change my guns often and stick with what works)

So what say the pw community, stay mainstream because they are worth it or give the little guy a chance.

Most of what you wrote doesn't make logical sense. I take it that for £1200ish you are looking at second hand? If you are buying second hand then no company is making a profit so it doesn't make any difference which make you buy. As for spares there is very little to go wrong with a gun. About the only thing that might break is a spring and unless you are very unlucky or you stuff half a million rounds through it then that isn't going to be a problem. I don't think that any company trades on past models or sales or past reputations. They just make items for sale.

If you are going to get a replacement just find something that fits you and that you like the look of or alternatively spend a bit on the one that you have and get it altered to fit you or get some tuition to iron out any faults so that you shoot more consistently with what you have. Just a different angle to consider