Dogs Trust....

TaxiDriver

Mrs TD and I have been discussing getting a dog, particularly re homing rather than a puppy,

So, with this in mind we went to our local(ish) branch to have a look.

Didn't get on very well,

Seemed that their primary concern is how many hours in total /added up doggie would spend alone,

The guy we spoke to said that anything over 3-4hrs would be unacceptable, (That's 3 - 4 hours total over a day, Not 3 - 4 hrs at a time!!)

On the other issue we have (2 cats) he stated that some dogs are indicated as 'cannot live with cats' and the remains dogs where they indicate they are 'Not cat tested' as approximately 80% of Dogs Trust dogs are Ireland strays, and therefore come with very little, if any information about their previous lives.

Who'd have thought that England has to import homeless dogs :puzzled:

Edited by TaxiDriver

Mrs TD and I have been discussing getting a dog, particularly re homing rather than a puppy,

So, with this in mind we went to our local(ish) branch to have a look.

Didn't get on very well,

Seemed that their primary concern is how many hours in total /added up doggie would spend alone,

The guy we spoke to said that anything over 3-4hrs would be unacceptable, (That's 3 - 4 hours total over a day, Not 3 - 4 hrs at a time!!)

On the other issue we have (2 cats) he stated that some dogs are indicated as 'cannot live with cats' and the remains dogs where they indicate they are 'Not cat tested' as approximately 80% of Dogs Trust dogs are Ireland strays, and therefore come with very little, if any information about their previous lives.

Who'd have thought that England has to import homeless dogs :puzzled:

Have a look on places such as Pets4Homes and Preloved , always older dogs looking for homes going cheaply or free on them.

Dogs trust were awful with us when we approached them for help with our German shepherd who we couldn't have round the kids anymore due to unpredictable behaviour. There motto that they never put a healthy dog down is probably because they won't take on dogs with any kind of behaviour problems. Our dog turned out to actually be having black outs from a brain Tumor and we lost him 6 months later. Wouldn't trust them at all.

I recently got a sizable cash settlement for a local dogs trust at the end of the tenants lease (was acting for them as landlord against their tenant at lease end); anyways over my 6 months dealing with them I said on quite a few occasions that if the right dog happened to come under their care that I would be potentially interested in giving him a home. However they told me that I would be refused because my existing dog arrangement didn't come up to scratch. My lab is kennelled outside 2 days 8-5pm while wives at work and inside the rest of the time. Dog has large 2 level concerted run with 8ftx6ft converted shed with plumbed drinking bowl, raised insulated bed box and very happy. Anyways they suggested I get a dog carer for the 2 days as the dog was being neglected!

We used to Sponsor one of the Greyhounds at our local DT for years, until we found out that they had rehomed him years earlier but were still collecting our monthly money in his name. Bit miffed to say the least so when they are standing outside the local supermarket rattling a tin in my face I now give them short shrift.

I got my spaniel off preloved , part trained working dog fully house trained great with the kids. All for £300 he is just 2 yrs old and does everything I need, we tried dog rescues 3 times and were let down each time, all 3 dogs had serious issues that we weren't told about and had to go back. Sorry but would never go to a rescue centre again, one spaniel rescue didn't want the dogs to be used for working only for pets.

S

Years ago they used to be called the national canine defence league .I got a dog from them and he was fine.

They went all corporate PC and changed to trendy dogs trust and downhill it went.

If an organisation begins to worry about it's name/logo , it starts to lose sight of it's core values

There are plenty of independent animal rescue centres all round the country.

most of them run by mentalists ! I went to rehome a hob ferret amd was told couldnt have him cos was going to work him, thats before they told me they wanted a £75 donation. Idiots and dont start me on the RSPCA

they are all the same

I have had one greyhound and three german shepard all bar the one still alive have lived to old age and been walked and feed perfectly

but I got told by one my house was not right second said the dog was not right and all my dogs have been great

they say they want homes for the dogs but I`m not sure

all they want is the money

Our main issue with dogs trust is once you have set up a monthly donation through your bank they hound you to increase the donation. We were getting phone calls every day (a tad OTT)

They stopped when we told them if they did not stop the calls we would cancel the existing donation.

Personally i would never think about taking a dog from 1 of those places, u never know wot problems are in the back ground. Harsh to say but some dogs are better PTS.

Any family with young kids i'd say it could be a big gamble. \was at a party on hogmany and this rehomed whippet/small lurcher thing ended up niping someone and drawing blood, a funny bloody dog not a lot of warning and the lass it bit was extended family so not a stranger. That dog after 9 years will still not leave the house with the father yet is ok with himin the house, no young kids thou so not so bad

I know quite a few grouse keepers who use almost entirely rescued dogs for working, got a shelter near them that actually phones them any time a lab or spaniel comes in that looks like its trainable. The dogs do fine on the moors

Where is the world going!! .... for years dogs have been kept in kennels for the majority of the day and been happy. My two lurchers live in a kennel (individual beds and communal run) for the majority of the day 8.30 till 16:00.

The difference is that they are walked for AT LEAST 1-2 hours a day, with stimulation play and other exercise around the house. We have 0.5 acre paddock at the back of the house that they get plenty of sprint, chase fetch exercise and are fed the best food I can afford. I am always getting compliments on how happy and well my dogs look BUT I would and have been be refused a dog from these organisations!

These idiots treat dogs like children, and would rather give a dog to an idiot that will dress the thing up and carry it round in a pram than treat it like a dog!

I wouldn't give them the time of day and would rather rescue a dog direct from the owners.

My in laws live in Spain... there are plenty of strays out there, and organisations that will pay for the dogs to be transported over here at no cost and relatively minimal questioning

Over the years I've had all sorts of breeds from several different charitys and would never buy a dog from a breeder again unless I was going to seriously work it and even then I'd see if I could source a suitable rescue dog first, some of the charitys are seriously lacking however, especially RSPCA, always had superb dogs from dogs trust however and besides I wouldn't let the fact a charity is rubbish stop me giving a well balanced dog a good home. Unless your like jeffjack and plan on at least 2hrs exercise a day with at least 2 or more dogs I wouldn't dream of outside kenneling as I think it's unfair and unnatural for the dog/dogs.

Edited by 12gauge82

Unless your like jeffjack and plan on at least 2hrs exercise a day with at least 2 or more dogs I wouldn't dream of outside kenneling as I think it's unfair and unnatural for the dog/dogs.

I would hesitate to add that the long periods of "rest" suit certain breeds only and for that reason I personally wouldn't keep breeds (like collies etc) that require substantial stimulation..... Lurchers are ideal, short fast periods of exercise and lots of sleep! Even when we are at home all day you'd have to prize one of mine off the sofa with a crow bar if you wanted her to do something mid morning! lol